Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 11:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times

Advertisements

It's no different than guys who spend too much time gambling, hanging out in bars or who do nothing but watch football all weekend.

I spend lots of my free time playing various PC video games, mostly strategy which is like weighlifting for your brain anyway.

I also cook, clean, play endless games of Candyland with my daughter, do all the yardwork, and have time for the wife too. And feed the cat and change the litterbox.

So guess what girls who turn your nose up at a guy who just happens to be a gamer: it just may be your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM

521 posts, read 860,393 times
Wife has a Masters and I'm pursuing my PhD and we both love killing people in Black Ops.

We also climb 14ers, mountain bike, hike, backpack, and camp amongst other things.

Just because someone enjoys playing video games doesn't automatically mean they're a lazy, uninteresting piece of crap. In fact, I'd argue that people that look down their noses at anything anyone else does for pure enjoyment needs to step off their soapbox for a minute to explain to all of us mere mortals what makes what they do so perfect.

Don't forget that what someone does for enjoyment is purely for them and if you meet a guy that plays video games you're more than capable of moving on and finding someone more "appropriate" for you.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,145,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Wife has a Masters and I'm pursuing my PhD and we both love killing people in Black Ops.

We also climb 14ers, mountain bike, hike, backpack, and camp amongst other things.

Just because someone enjoys playing video games doesn't automatically mean they're a lazy, uninteresting piece of crap. In fact, I'd argue that people that look down their noses at anything anyone else does for pure enjoyment needs to step off their soapbox for a minute to explain to all of us mere mortals what makes what they do so perfect.

Don't forget that what someone does for enjoyment is purely for them and if you meet a guy that plays video games you're more than capable of moving on and finding someone more "appropriate" for you.
That's awesome!

My dream guy is actually someone I can play video games with- I have several consoles and while my son and I love playing, it would be awesome to find a guy (a RESPONSIBLE gamer) who I could shoot zombies with or play sports games with. Of course, he'd have to have a good head on his shoulders too, but if I met a good guy who was also a responsible gamer, I'd marry him on the spot! LOL

Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM

521 posts, read 860,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
That's awesome!

My dream guy is actually someone I can play video games with- I have several consoles and while my son and I love playing, it would be awesome to find a guy (a RESPONSIBLE gamer) who I could shoot zombies with or play sports games with. Of course, he'd have to have a good head on his shoulders too, but if I met a good guy who was also a responsible gamer, I'd marry him on the spot! LOL

Multiple consoles? Shoot zombies? Play sports games?

How have you not been snatched up yet?!? Guys must be stupid where you're from.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
At least with facebook and all other online sites city data included, you can completely multi task. Get many productive things done at the same time. Reality TV or any TV? no different IMO.
Yeah but video games can help keep your mind sharp. Any game is going require that a person have some kind of strategy to win. Many also help you to develop your manual dexterity. They're also great if you don't have another person to play games with.

And for me, sometimes I just want to focus on one thing. I have to multitask all day so it's nice to get a break from that.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:17 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yeah but video games can help keep your mind sharp. Any game is going require that a person have some kind of strategy to win. Many also help you to develop your manual dexterity. They're also great if you don't have another person to play games with.

And for me, sometimes I just want to focus on one thing. I have to multitask all day so it's nice to get a break from that.
Yeah fair points......I was actually going to add that I agree. Watching TV is often the lowest of the three.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,145,407 times
Quote:
Multiple consoles? Shoot zombies? Play sports games?

How have you not been snatched up yet?!? Guys must be stupid where you're from.
Well...in my defense...I'm not throwing myself at guys...I'm just saying that if I met a guy I liked and found out that he liked video games too, I would love that.

Most guys I've dated either aren't into video games, or were turned off by the fact that I played.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
answer:

Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I guess the question here is

"Define addiction".

WHere, I can't imagine my life without video games, as they are my main means of extrafamily entertainment, however, I don't let them rule my every day.

If you walk into our house, the first thing you'll notice in our living room is our 5 video game consoles and our wall of 100+ video games.

Is that addiction?
Mine definitely was.

I was clocking in an average of 6-8hrs on weekdays and 20hrs on weekends, and this was all in a span of about 8 months (November 2006-July 2007). My grades plummeted. My gf dumped me twice. Those were pretty dark times but I recovered though!

I'll admit that the cons overwhelmed the pros but I do get a good smile while reminiscing the ultra competitive clan wars, the prized tournaments, the friends I made, the endless trash talking in voice-chat lobbies, the opponents with god-like aiming skills that'd send shivers of intimidation down your spine, the feeling of success after defeating the best clan and temporarily holding the top spot on the clan ladder. Mehn! That was one heck of an addiction.

The interesting part is that I had never played a video game before, and my initial intent was to buy the PS3 and sell it on ebay. (This was back when it had just launched. And Yes! I was one of those peeps that slept in front of a BESTBUY store for first dibs.)

July 2007: I traveled abroad for an extended family reunion. When I got back, my clan had disbanded due to mismanagement and embarassing losses against noob opponents. I managed to salvage some talent and we made an attempt to re-emerge, but it was a little too late. We were out-gunned, out-strategized, and we lacked the player count and depth to keep up with the best, so I gave up, moved on and never looked back.

I still hop online every couple of months to chat with long time buddies though. Nowadays, our conversations don't even relate to gaming, and the rest are usually watching some movie on their Netflix account. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who moved on.

Anyway, Moderation is key. An addiction to a particular game or gaming in general can be quite detrimental, but in no way is it worse than any other type of addiction.

Lately, I've been developing an unhealthy passion for Soccer and a similar shift in priorities has become evident. I'll nip this one soon enough though. For one, I've got bills to pay now, so keeping my job resonates daily. In addition, I can thank god I live in America where nobody gives a crap about soccer. I know I'd have been long gone if I resided in Africa or the UK.

Last edited by Raging-Hetero; 08-31-2011 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 09:56 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,370 times
Quote:

This. I don't understand why so many grown adults have such difficulty understanding that people can do things in "moderation". I've basically made this same post on numerous forums here because it seems like so many grown adults just can't grasp this concept.

Another example is reality TV. Yes it's stupid but there are one or two shows I catch regularly but just because I like them doesn't mean I'm some brainwashed moron who spends 8 hours a day watching it and buying gossip rags. Almost everything is bad for you if you go overboard with it, so while video games may not be the most noble and profitable use of your free time, if it's something you enjoy then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships