Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:37 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

What I've learned from Mr Right. Both partners have the duty and the pleasure of doing what they can to make their partner happy. Work and other obligations have to be met but when those things are done your partner is your main interest. You want and desire to do things with them to maintain your intimate relationship. It's important to you.

Sex just happens when you treat each other this way. You take the time to really be with your SO. When you come home, one doesn't go to the computer while the other does laundry and fixes dinner. You do the chores together and when they are done, you do something fun together. Watch a movie or talk and catch up. Snuggle up in bed or in front of the fire with a drink. Plan an evening out or work on next weeks menu. The important thing is being and doing things together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,932,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What I've learned from Mr Right. Both partners have the duty and the pleasure of doing what they can to make their partner happy. Work and other obligations have to be met but when those things are done your partner is your main interest. You want and desire to do things with them to maintain your intimate relationship. It's important to you.

Sex just happens when you treat each other this way. You take the time to really be with your SO. When you come home, one doesn't go to the computer while the other does laundry and fixes dinner. You do the chores together and when they are done, you do something fun together. Watch a movie or talk and catch up. Snuggle up in bed or in front of the fire with a drink. Plan an evening out or work on next weeks menu. The important thing is being and doing things together.
And, gentlemen, while we're on the subject (I speak with some authority---I have the honour of being the man the lady I quoted believes is Mr. Right), let's try to remember something an awful lot of men including the OP seem to have forgotten:

You want a sex life with her? Then try thinking about building a love life with her. And in the way it really counts.

Don't schpritz on about every thing you do or give. How about asking and answering, honestly enough, how much of you you are willing to give no matter how damn hard you do (or think you do) work in the professional world? Because I'm going to tell you this much---if you're not giving anything resembling yourself, if you're not offering anything resembling yourself beyond what's between your legs, then I don't want to hear about who's not getting what and why. Did the OP or anyone who might agree with him stop to ponder what Tiger Woods was or wasn't offering of himself (other than what's between his legs) when he wasn't on the golf tour and was home to be a real husband and father? Does anyone really think that, if you have nothing of yourself to offer your wife or your partner other than what's between your legs when the sap's flowing, you have the right to be shocked when you discover you haven't been "getting it" for long enough? Or the right to blame her (or him, for that matter, if it's the other way 'round) when this comes to pass?

Let me tell you something. It takes an awful lot more than working long, building fancy homes, buying expensive toys, and stuffing a dwelling to make a home, a relationship, a romance. Because if you're not offering yourself---if you're measuring yourself and what you offer in terms of things---you're offering nothing, and you're not exactly owed a damn thing for it if you're offering nothing that really matters. Those children would probably swap every damn last fancy toy or fat allowance payment for a lot more of you in their lives. That spouse or partner would probably swap every damn last square foot of that big fancy house (whether or not you built it yourself) for a lot more of you in her life.

And don't tell me you're working just too damn hard providing all that other stuff which, while it has its importance, is really nothing more than just things, just a dwelling, when all is said and done. You can replace things. You can replace a dwelling. Good luck replacing children. Better luck replacing a wife, a husband, a partner, especially if you were the one who had your head so far up your ass you couldn't see the moonlight without moving your tongue to one side. Because if all you have is a dwelling and a lot of things, but you have a wife or husband who's indifferent to you because you did nothing to preserve or enhance the love, the romance, the feeling that brought you together in the first place, then you have nothing.

Nothing.

My lady tells me often enough and I believe it with all my heart---it doesn't matter what you have if you don't really have each other, if you don't really nurture each other, if you don't really share with each other, if you don't really place each other in the real number one position in your lives, and while she's at it she thanks me for the sharing, the nurturing, the placing each other at the real number one position in each other's lives.

And let me tell you, without divulging details that are, really, her prerogative, my honour, and nobody else's business, I have the honour of having a sex life most people can only fantasise about. Maybe it starts with thinking of it not as just a sex life but as part, parcel, and precious most parcel of a love life together.

Because I had, really, only one thing to offer her---me. That she thinks having me is so wonderful testifies only to her lack of taste in men because I know damn well she could have done way better than me. But I thank God for her every minute of my life.

And I'm not about to let anything get in the way of that. No dwelling, fancy or otherwise. No volume of things. No big show otherwise. I can't really afford to do it now as it is, but if and when I get comfortably well off professionally again I'm still not going to let any better such things get in the way of what's really important, because I know as much as any man can know that I could give her all the damn things on earth and it wouldn't mean two pins if I gave nothing of me.

She thinks that's even better.

Even if I still think she could have done better.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
I had the pleasure of working at a place that 90% of the other employees were men and although I liked each and every one of them I often heard the "not gettin' any" complaint. So I will ask you the same as I asked them: When was the last time that for no reason at all including the path to "getting some" did you wrap you arms around your wife/gf hug her, kiss her and tell her how important she is to you, how beautiful you think she is and how you appreciate her? You can't just come home say hey honey what's for dinner, plop in front of the T.V. and then expect lovin' from your woman without giving anything in return.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlitwishes View Post
... So I will ask you the same as I asked them: When was the last time that for no reason at all including the path to "getting some" did you wrap you arms around your wife/gf hug her, kiss her and tell her how important she is to you, how beautiful you think she is and how you appreciate her? You can't just come home say hey honey what's for dinner, plop in front of the T.V. and then expect lovin' from your woman without giving anything in return.

Nicely said! Sex is not a duty owed to either party - relationships are about compromises and give and take - in and out of the bedroom.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Women (usually) must be emotionally connected to their partner, and that can be a weak area for men - thus the falling out.
you hit the nail on the head (no pun intended) If there is an emotional disconnect then sex is the furtherest thing from a woman's mind. The brain is indeed the most powerful sex organ!

Old 12-27-2009, 11:45 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Again...most women have no clue how important sex is to most men...Basically sex is about as important to most man like water and food...I know that sounds hard to believe...but its true for most men...
I absolutely agree. My husband even said that...when he was working many hours straight on a project he told me once it was Food sleep & sex in that order and when time permitted all the other fluff..luckily most of the time he has time for the other fluff

Last edited by goodgal; 12-27-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 01:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times
he should enhance his sexual skills.

The crocodile is flawless for that matter.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:14 PM

19,634 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I don't believe you can ever convince some people that they are not owed sex by their spouse. It's embedded and brainwashed into us through time that it is a marital duty, regardless of what other problems may exist in the relationship. Of course in reality that is not the case in modern times and marriage is much more complex.

I'm glad to be single.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
hmmm...so Im a selfish person...Let me see...I've worked full time for the past 21 years for the US Army engineering department...and trying to start a business on the side...12 years ago I busted my butt building a half million dollar home with the help of my wife, father and brother so the family could live in nice home...Payed for my children to attend private school...last month I volunteered(no one else did) and went to the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune located in South Carolina...to develop a new mobile kitchen for the Marines... improving the quality of life for those young marines...long hours and crappy working conditions...but it was all worth it...I luv those kids and want the best for them...next month Im thinking of buying a new car for the wife....for xmas I bought my son a XBOX 360 and play station and video games with average cost of $50 per game...for my daughter an apple laptop....."BUT I'M SELFISH"!!!!!!...

YES, you are selfish and the above shows it. You will put yourself out to help young marines because you get something back - credit.

For your kids, you paid for camp, paid for games, paid for a computer, and paid for a car for your wife. So you bought stuff for your family, but for the marines, you gave of yourself.

WTG, family man.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Absolutely.

Sadly I am getting divorce now after 27 years of marriage and we've gone back and forth about the why's and whatnot but one thing keeps coming back as a turning point for me, and that was when my husband hurt his back. It wasn't the injury itself. or his justifiable need to spend alot of time focusing on himself and his health via exercise and whatnot. But he took to laying on the floor with either an icepack or heating pad and then later bought a special zero gravity chair to sit in because regular furniture hurt him....and he no longer sat on the sofa with me. There was no more snuggling, no more touching, no more putting my feet in his lap, no more arms over the shoulder, no more ANYTHING that made up the bulk of our daily non-sexual physical contact. He became preoccupied with his own issue, came home from work and fell into a new routine of exercise, ice, heat, then chair, and I began to busy myself with other things to fill the void. That was the beginning of the end. We didn't even realize what was happening at the time otherwise we could have addressed it, but things just slowly fell apart after that because our attentions turned away from each other and onto different things.

I'm not saying this is the only reason we are getting divorced but...To this day I seriously HATE that chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships