Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

What if a bona-fide Jew decides to believe in Jesus. In other words, he accepts all of the Christian teachings about Jesus.

Does that mean he loses his claim to be Jewish?

Is there anything is Jewish theology that prohibits him from believing in Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Yes,they are known as Messianic Jews who believe in Jesus Christ.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What if a bona-fide Jew decides to believe in Jesus. In other words, he accepts all of the Christian teachings about Jesus.

Does that mean he loses his claim to be Jewish?

Is there anything is Jewish theology that prohibits him from believing in Jesus?
Once a Jew always a Jew...... You cannot lose your inheritance....

But if you convert to Christianity you turn your back on your religion and your people.....

Judaism is inherited or through conversion you cannot lose it.

To believe in a man much less a trinity is idolatry.

G-d is one, not 3.

This is central to Judaism that G-d is one.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Jazzy, do Jews only pray to god or can you pray to one of the important prophets like Moses or Elijah and hope that your message gets to god?

When my wife and I wanted to get married, we talked to a Baptist minister who was less than impressed with my attitude, but he figured if he said a long enough prayer it would be OK. During the prayer he even prayed to Moses, which I thought was interesting.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,823 times
Quote:
Jazzy, do Jews only pray to god or can you pray to one of the important prophets like Moses or Elijah and hope that your message gets to god?

When my wife and I wanted to get married, we talked to a Baptist minister who was less than impressed with my attitude, but he figured if he said a long enough prayer it would be OK. During the prayer he even prayed to Moses, which I thought was interesting.
No, only G-d.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:

in a traditional Jewish hagaddah (the book we read from on passover night) the name of moses is not even mentioned, so we do not mistakenly attribute the exodus to him, rather than to HIM.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
and most Jews hold to criteria for the messiah that exclude Jesus. And those criteria appear to go very far back.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Did you start this thread in seriousness, or are you just instigating? A Jew who abandons the precepts of Judaism isn't Jewish any more...just as a Christian who abandons the precepts of Christianity isn't Christian any more.

When you get right down to it, you've got to make a choice. It seems there are people who just can't deal with that little slice of reality, so they come up with justifications for having it both ways.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Did you start this thread in seriousness, or are you just instigating? A Jew who abandons the precepts of Judaism isn't Jewish any more...just as a Christian who abandons the precepts of Christianity isn't Christian any more.
How is accepting Jesus Christ as your divine lord and saviour abandoning the precepts of Judaism? Can you quote any exact scripture to back up your opinion?

I know that Judaisn forbids worshiping idols, but you could say that Jesus was just god in another form. Does Judaism not permit god to take any form he wants?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yes,they are known as Messianic Jews who believe in Jesus Christ.
This link might interest you.

Paul Nison » Torah Life Ministries

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality