Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You may have a point if it was just that one kid. The truth is that type of experience happens to many, many people. Are they all "coached?"
No, they are not coached. They are simply misinterpreting the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 05:29 AM

76 posts, read 76,805 times
I apologize radrook I meant that directed at fleet

Old 05-27-2011, 05:50 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefool View Post
Why did this thread turn into such a giant recycling bin for all the overused statements made by religions so many times in the past?
Because religions have nothing to back up their claims they have to resort to changing the subject or attacking the messenger. If they had a logical or fact-based response to Hawking's claims, they would use it. They don't, which is why you see page after page of personal attacks, emotional appeals, and off-topic diversions.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:12 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What is not logical is believing that nothing exists after death.
PROVE that something happens after death. PROVE IT. Don't point at NDE's which are simply the very last misfirings of a dying brain or simply made up in the first place. All claims should be tested to see if they are verifiable or not. I find NDE's and all other mystical happenings to be pure bull.

Religionists could learn a thing or two from the Buddha:

Quote:
“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.â€

Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Not a skeptical bone in your body is there Campo? Ever think that this kid could have be coached?

People have been known to not tell the truth ya know!

Why should I be skeptical? God already showed me a view of heaven years ago. And no one coached me. The kid is right, heaven is for real. And it's a place where all Christian believers will go. And people have been known to tell the truth. It's a shame no one is paying attention.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplefool View Post
It is not uncommon for the subconscious mind to pick up on topics that we never knowingly see. During "lucid dreams", and possibly NDEs those topics could come back to the surface and be seen, incorporating themselves into normal memory. Or... the story might be filled with lies. The parents could have told the kid what to say. It wouldn't be the first time someone has lied for fame, or "the greater good". You are no saint, your thoughts are just as biased as your "they". Where are those details of the accounts? You believe what you do. Quit supporting your ideas with stories by pretending they are factual evidence.

Well like you this boys parents had their doubts as well. Yet they discovered their son simply knew to much information that had never been shared with him. Such as his knowledge of his sister that died before she was born. Or his knowledge of his fathers grandfather who died when his father was only 7 years old. It's this kind of information that made them believers. And on a personal note. Many years ago God gave me a small view of heaven. And I still recall the things I saw. And it has nothing to do with pretending.

A boy's view of 'Heaven': Is it real? - USATODAY.com

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, they are not coached. They are simply misinterpreting the experience.

How is one misinterpreting facts that were unknown to the person who experienced the NDE? Yet after the experience suddenly the person has knowledge of names and events he never experienced before.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
PROVE that something happens after death. PROVE IT. Don't point at NDE's which are simply the very last misfirings of a dying brain or simply made up in the first place. All claims should be tested to see if they are verifiable or not. I find NDE's and all other mystical happenings to be pure bull.

Religionists could learn a thing or two from the Buddha:

Of course you want to ignore the NDE, because it does prove something. A misfiring of the brain would not give people who have returned from such an experience detailed information about knowledge or events that such people never experienced.

And of course once you discover the truth of such encounters, the only thing you guys are left with. Is that all such stories must be based on lies. That's your whole defense.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Agreed. Experiences such as NDE's are neither logical nor objective and are not proof of any sort of hereafter.

And yet how is it that this 4 year old boy came back with all kinds of information that he was not aware of before his NDE? How did he know about his sister that died before he was born? Or how was he able to describe his fathers grandfather, who died when his father was only 7 years old himself? Of course this was just the tip of the iceberg. It's easy to say that NDEs are not logical nor objective. That is until you get into the details of such accounts.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:03 AM

76 posts, read 76,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Why should I be skeptical? God already showed me a view of heaven years ago. And no one coached me. The kid is right, heaven is for real. And it's a place where all Christian believers will go. And people have been known to tell the truth. It's a shame no one is paying attention.
Unfortunately there is no proof to back up his or your story therefore it can not be claimed as fact. It can be used to inspire fellow believers or change the faith of people who don't have the logic to see this as just a story. That someone says they are telling the truth does not mean it is true. You pretend there is no room for any truth but the one you agree with. I say show me the evidence that you are right, you say God told me so it must be true. Where is the evidence? Quit presenting fiction as fact. If you read into what I wrote about NDEs earlier there are theories that can explain NDEs without resorting to lies or God. Since there are alternate explanations you can not use them as evidence that God exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality