Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The Reader's Digest condensed version would be:

"Love one another, as I have loved you." - Jesus the Christ

Actually, it would be "Do not do unto others what you do not want them to do unto you" -- Rabbi Hillel

Rabbi Hillel (HIL-el; hil-EL) lived in Judea just prior to the 1st century C.E.

The Hillel organization, a network of on-campus Jewish college student organizations, is named for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,332 times
How about not rewriting anything at all?

Words are not the truth. How can they be? Words change (and their meanings) with each passing generation. Words are merely pointers toward something that cannot be uttered. And the true wisdom lies within the person who interprets the words to be congruent to their own revealed "truth."

If you believe the "Bible" (which one???) is the "ultimate truth" then you are living in a static historical fantasy. Words are truly nothing. They are mere ideas that depend upon whatever the collective society determines they mean.

If - as the Bible says - the truth is "written in men's hearts" then all this debate is useless.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Yes Whoppers, you are correct. I didn't think it was the place for a lecture on the Greek New Testament, all its variants, or the subtleties of textual criticism. I figured my post was beyond the interest of most of the readers of this forum in the first place. Most are more interested in bashing than learning.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:48 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Yes Whoppers, you are correct. I didn't think it was the place for a lecture on the Greek New Testament, all its variants, or the subtleties of textual criticism. I figured my post was beyond the interest of most of the readers of this forum in the first place. Most are more interested in bashing than learning.
Ah, but that stuff is fun! The learning - I mean.

As for the bashing, I think that the most oft-used arguments are also the easiest to be shown as being non-arguments, with a little more research than is normal - whether it be contextual, critical, historical, literary, etc...

I think there's an immense rage that's involved with some people when they either discover their beliefs are being questioned, or when they discover that their former-beliefs have been shattered and they find themselves in the opposite camp. It usually runs it's course, and finds a happy medium, or some sort of peace somewhere. But woe to those around before that time!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I feel like a lot of Moderator cut: deleted people take it too literally and that some of it doesn't apply to today... any agreements or disagreements?
I think the Bible includes many wise truths but people seem to forget that men wrote the Bible much like someone today would write a book. To me it is a great work of literature that reflects the belief, culture and norms of the time.

So yes...much of it is outdated but I believe truth is truth. So truth will always apply.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 PM

460 posts, read 593,193 times
Not me.

It is a tome of literature that covers every subject under the sun. But it is also literature of a time and age almost completely lost.

Write another Bible, if you will, that speaks of man's relationship to God (however defined), written in modern literature techiques.

We could start with such "recent" literature as C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
It was written by men in order to control people through fear, and guilt. Don't re write it, but it's worth discussing at length due to the hilarity of it all. I have no problem with Christians who love jesus, and god, but most of the "good book" is just plain BAD. Faith doesn't need all of that begetting, begatting, circumcision, etc.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
It was written by men in order to control people through fear, and guilt. Don't re write it, but it's worth discussing at length due to the hilarity of it all. I have no problem with Christians who love jesus, and god, but most of the "good book" is just plain BAD. Faith doesn't need all of that begetting, begatting, circumcision, etc.
But... the begetting is the good part! Who doesn't like a little sex thrown into a story? Come on.....

Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
It was written by men in order to control people through fear, and guilt.
May be the Christian Bible; not so the Bible, or, if you prefer, the Jewish Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality