Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieGeek View Post
I feel like a lot of Moderator cut: deleted people take it too literally and that some of it doesn't apply to today... any agreements or disagreements?
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard! It's tantamount to picking and choosing what laws you WANT to follow and what laws you dont. Then again, you Christians do that anyway so go right ahead. Hell, Thomas Jefferson did it!

Jefferson Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Really. There must be like a new translation every year. and thats just the goyish ones.
There are many different translations. How many, I'm not sure.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard! It's tantamount to picking and choosing what laws you WANT to follow and what laws you dont.
That's what every christian does every day. Want to try and prove something, cherry pick the parts that match, ignore the rest.

Want to say god is all about love, simply omit the parts about 2+ million murders directed by this loving god, or his little tantrums where he murdered 99.999%+ of all life on the planet.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That's what every christian does every day. Want to try and prove something, cherry pick the parts that match, ignore the rest.

Want to say god is all about love, simply omit the parts about 2+ million murders directed by this loving god, or his little tantrums where he murdered 99.999%+ of all life on the planet.
Pro 23:10 - Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless:
Corporate farms and not family farms?
Isa 45:7 - I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
WHO created Evil?
Mat 16:20 - Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Jesus was hiding his being the Christ from others?
2Th 3:10 - For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
WHO should NOT EAT?
.... and how MANY incorporated churches teach ANY of the above verses??

This is a drop in the bucket to what else is in the Bible.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Jefferson basically made the Bible into an atheistic document, removing every reference to anything supernatural. That's why it hasn't been widely accepted.
So you're saying that the bible is filled with "supernatural" stuff - you know magic.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you're saying that the bible is filled with "supernatural" stuff - you know magic.
Have you raised the dead yet? ... I haven't.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,233 times
Quote:
Yes, the Bible is filled with supernatural stuff. It totally is.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
The bible is full of ridiculous claims.

Genesis' rendition of how the earth was created for a start, are entirely inaccurate, along with a talking serpent.

God made man but hates foreskins?

Clams, oysters, crabs, lobsters, and shrimp are abominations to God...again, he made the darn things.

Carry on right through to Revelations and you'll find absurdity after absurdity that people are supposed to take seriously.

To believe the bible one must place one's brain and rational thinking on suspension.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
I could rewrite it in a few words:

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Be kind.
Treat others with respect.
Help where you can.
The Reader's Digest condensed version would be:

"Love one another, as I have loved you." - Jesus the Christ

Old 09-30-2011, 12:41 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
I do think there are a number of major subjects in the bible that have been misinterpreted. Some verses are taken word for word when in fact its not meant to be taken literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality