Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Hate resides within individuals and is NOT a characteristic of any positions held. Positions can be held with or without hate. That some who oppose gay marriage are hateful does not make the position against gay marriage an indicator of hate. We need to be very careful when trying to make such sweeping judgments about people and the positions they hold on various issues.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,978,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hate resides within individuals and is NOT a characteristic of any positions held. Positions can be held with or without hate. That some who oppose gay marriage are hateful does not make the position against gay marriage an indicator of hate. We need to be very careful when trying to make such sweeping judgments about people and the positions they hold on various issues.
I think it is reasonable to dislike choices people have made in life, such as politics and religion; but it is evil to dislike people for characteristics that they are born with, that they can not change and have no control over such as race or gender or sexual orientation.

We need to be very careful when trying to make such sweeping judgments about people concerning things over which they have no control.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think it is reasonable to dislike choices people have made in life, such as politics and religion; but it is evil to dislike people for characteristics that they are born with, that they can not change and have no control over such as race or gender or sexual orientation.
There can be no presumption of dislike or hatred possible in merely holding a contrary position . . . that is the point. It is supremely unfair to presume that there is hatred or dislike simply because there is opposition and disagreement. Clearly you believe that there must be some hatred or dislike behind the opposition to gay marriage. I do not believe that is a necessary condition, period.
Quote:
We need to be very careful when trying to make such sweeping judgments about people concerning things over which they have no control.
There is also no necessary presumption of judgment involved in the opposition. It is just as unfair to presume that there is as to presume there is hatred or dislike.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
There can be no presumption of dislike or hatred possible in merely holding a contrary position . . . that is the point. It is supremely unfair to presume that there is hatred or dislike simply because there is opposition and disagreement. Clearly you believe that there must be some hatred or dislike behind the opposition to gay marriage. I do not believe that is a necessary condition, period.There is also no necessary presumption of judgment involved in the opposition. It is just as unfair to presume that there is as to presume there is hatred or dislike.
I disagree...Some folks may simply disagree with the idea of same sex relationships, but you don't have to read far on the many gay threads before the hate is glaringly obvious...

Great minds discuss ideas, and small minds discuss people.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I disagree...Some folks may simply disagree with the idea of same sex relationships, but you don't have to read far on the many gay threads before the hate is glaringly obvious...
Great minds discuss ideas, and small minds discuss people.
It seems you are discussing people on the gay threads and NOT the fundamental idea of opposition without malice that I am discussing. What did you say about great minds, Sans? I am not suggesting that there are no hateful people opposed to gay marriage nor that there are not people who dislike gays who are opposed. What I AM saying is that it is NOT necessary to hate or dislike to be opposed . . . as the OP erroneously asserts.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Default Somebody tell the pot he's black too.

Quote:
It seems you are discussing people on the gay threads and NOT the fundamental idea of opposition without malice that I am discussing. What did you say about great minds, Sans? I am not suggesting that there are no hateful people opposed to gay marriage nor that there are not people who dislike gays who are opposed. What I AM saying is that it is NOT necessary to hate or dislike to be opposed . . . as the OP erroneously asserts.
lol.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
No, I'm not talking about people, I'm talking about the hate I see, but as you say it is not from everyone who disagrees with same sex marriage, and it is often hard for me to separate the hate from the people who are constantly spewing it.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Hate resides within individuals and is NOT a characteristic of any positions held.
Unless the entire foundation for the position held IS hatred. If hatred is the only thing that can justify the existence of such a position then questions need to be asked. So far it appears that is the sum total of the arguments against homosexuality that we have been offered here.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 AM

4 posts, read 4,372 times
I don't care about that topic. It is a kind of discriminating human kind.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Unless the entire foundation for the position held IS hatred. If hatred is the only thing that can justify the existence of such a position then questions need to be asked. So far it appears that is the sum total of the arguments against homosexuality that we have been offered here.
There has been no such evidence that hatred of homosexuals is the ONLY reason to oppose gay marriage . . . the existence of such hatred in individuals notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality