Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM

5,298 posts, read 4,591,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Please provide a single piece of empirical, archaeological evidence that proves your god, Jesus, whatever exists.

Just one piece.

Can i offer more than one? We have the house of Mary and Martha, two well known associates of Jesus;

We have the actual bones of the Cyrenian Simon who carried jesus cross

We have the actual bones of the High Preist Ciaphus who slapped Jesus in the face the night before he was brought to pilate

We have part of the stone Jesus stood on before Pilate

We have the Damascus Gate they marched Jesus through on the way to kill him

We have the actual spot he was killed on, Golgotha, the place of the skull

We have two possible tombs he could have been buried in

We have the river he was baptised in

Can you offer any one piece of scientific research that debunks any of these archaeological finds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiel View Post
Can i offer more than one? We have the house of Mary and Martha, two well known associates of Jesus;

We have the actual bones of the Cyrenian Simon who carried jesus cross

We have the actual bones of the High Preist Ciaphus who slapped Jesus in the face the night before he was brought to pilate

We have part of the stone Jesus stood on before Pilate

We have the Damascus Gate they marched Jesus through on the way to kill him

We have the actual spot he was killed on, Golgotha, the place of the skull

We have two possible tombs he could have been buried in

We have the river he was baptised in

Can you offer any one piece of scientific research that debunks any of these archaeological finds?
LOL, none of those items have any proven connection to Jesus. You would first have to prove that Jesus existed before you could claim that something was his tomb, that someone carried his cross, stood on a stone, etc.

The fact that something like the Damascus Gate existed offers no evidence that Jesus marched through it. Much less that Jesus was the son of god, was executed, etc.

I guess since there is an actual Tokyo, Godzilla must be real too.

I know exactly where to find the bones of John F. Kennedy, is that proof that we were best friends and used to play poker together back in the day?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
LOL, none of those items have any proven connection to Jesus. You would first have to prove that Jesus existed before you could claim that something was his tomb of that someone carried his cross.

I know exactly where to find the bones of say John F. Kennedy, is that proof that we used to play poker together?

Thanks for playing though.

they all are proven connections to Jesus, and I am not playing.

Now, can you offer just one piece of proven scientific evidence that totally debunks any of those I listed?

Just one peice?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 PM

476 posts, read 466,712 times
Quote:
Please provide a single piece of archaeological evidence that proves your god, Jesus, whatever exists.

Just one piece.
One single piece isn't going to prove anything. It's only a piece of the puzzle. But here is a starting point from wikipedia:

1st century ADList of artifacts significant to the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More on Herodium and discovery of Herod's Tomb

Herodium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Typical skeptic immediate rejection of evidence in 3..2..1...

Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM

476 posts, read 466,712 times
Quote:
LOL, none of those items have any proven connection to Jesus. You would first have to prove that Jesus existed before you could claim that something was his tomb, that someone carried his cross, stood on a stone, etc.

The fact that something like the Damascus Gate existed offers no evidence that Jesus marched through it. Much less that Jesus was the son of god, was executed, etc.

I guess since there is an actual Tokyo, Godzilla must be real too.

I know exactly where to find the bones of John F. Kennedy, is that proof that we were best friends and used to play poker together back in the day?

Then by your logic, the field of archeology is completely worthless and all ancient history must be regarded as possible fiction.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Please provide a single piece of archaeological evidence that proves your god, Jesus, whatever exists.

Just one piece.

May I continue to offer more than what was requested? Archaeological evidence of Jesus;

The Toledot Yeshu - which is an anti christian historical docuement that varifys Jesus existence

The writen works of all these historical historians; Clemet of Alexandria , Justin, Origen, Ignatius, Conon, Hegesippus, Phlegon, Julian the apostate, Irenaeus, Clement, Thallus, Lucian, Celsus, Tertullian, Sextus julius africanus, Suetonius, even Tacitus wrote about Jesus.

You need to study more and update your defense.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
In other words, you use mockery, sarcasm, and snidery to cover up the fact that your claim has no foundation. For one thing, why do you always assume that the Bible copied from other myths? Why is it not possible that the other legends were copied from the Bible? One example is the legend of Sargon which copies elements from the Exodus story and was written AFTER Exodus.

And unlike mythology, the Bible has a historical framework with real life people verified by numerous extra-biblical sources. Also, the Bible would be a lot more disjointed if it was simply all made up by numerous authors. Yet, there is a consistency throughout in the narrative all the way back to Genesis.
It would stand to reason...that if something is written down which predates a copy of the story...the original would be the story that had been stolen. The sumerians wrote down the story on tablets long before it was written in the bible. The Exodus is another example of a story that never happened...It is a ripoff of the Hyksos expulsion.

FYI...it's been proven that it is written by many authors and not only is there no consistency, contradictions abound within its pages. Anyone who has done even a small critical study of the bible knows these things. And I don't assume the stories in the bible are stolen...it's been proven, time and time again. Now, you can claim the devil did it, just like Justin Martyr attempted to do...but you and I both know that would be dishonest. There is no harm in admitting the syncretism...it is what it is.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's funny that we are still debating whether the Noah's Ark story is literally true or not in the 21st century with all our accumulated knoweldge of how the world works.
No one who has access to the accumulated knowledge of how the world works gives the flood story any more credence than as an amusing myth.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM

753 posts, read 727,962 times
Quote:
One single piece isn't going to prove anything. It's only a piece of the puzzle. But here is a starting point from wikipedia:

1st century ADList of artifacts significant to the Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More on Herodium and discovery of Herod's Tomb

Herodium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Typical skeptic immediate rejection of evidence in 3..2..1...
And it's evidence for the New Testament about as much as a a cannonball from Sherman's March to the Sea is evidence that Rhett Butler lived (and really didn't give a damn!).

Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
And if the ark itself was discovered perfectly intact, you skeptics would still smugly claim that it doesn't prove anything.
If I had t*ts, I'd be a girl. Get back to us when this actually happens.

Quote:
Skeptics are the narrow minded ones. You will accept ANY evidence without question if it goes against the Bible.
Like what? Like the fact there isn't enough H2O on the planet to flood to the top of Mt. Everest? Or perhaps that analyzing the human genome tells us we didn't descend from a common couple. Or perhaps radiometric dating that proves homo sapiens has been around for pert near 100,000 years, and that giant lizards roamed the planet 65,000,000 years ago?

Stop me if I hit on something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality