Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times

Advertisements

Interestingly, Ballard only went to investigate whether a highly localized flood had indeed happened. The Black Sea one assumes... there is, after all, good evidence of how that one formed: tectonic sinking coupled with a sever but localized tsunami: think Japan last year! Some of the ground permanently dropped 5 - 8 feet!) I don't disagree that such a thing could well have happened. After all, the central American Great Plains were once (multi-millions of years ago, of course, and localized) under water. but so what?

Despite the frantic need to find such a thing to support absolute biblical literalism, no wide-eyed global N-Fludd occurred, obviously. Never. Ever. Obviously the real reason is in this next post...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
When people are drowning, they cling to whatever might float. They don't examine it minutely. They just pray to whatever they believe in that what they're clinging to actually does indeed, float. And might help them do the same.

And if they believe it will keep them afloat...truly believe...well then...who knows?

And why the hell should anyone else care?

I don't.
Well, remember now TD, this sort of self-indulgent hyper-mania is potentially dangerous to society in that these fundies will force it into schools, nativity scenes into public library entranceways, into whatever sitch they can, & essentially to forcibly take over our personal spiritual lives.

Just think; what other spiritual but totally scientifically uneducated cult comes door to door, all dressed up nice, and trying to tell you you'll go to hell if'n you don't "cross over"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
To cover Everest, it would need to rain over 700 FEET a day. Can you imagine this ever happen? That amount of water, for that long would sink any rudderless boat.
Details, details. Apparently TWD has some enlightening new info I"m waiting to see in print. All of those hydrodynamic facts are simply bias from the smug egocentric intelligencia (you know, like YOU!) [Btw, folks FACT: such a volume of falling water would heat up the molecules en-route to the ground, to approx. 70 - 80˚ C. Yup: right up there near boiling; your bath water is only about 30˚ C, max! remember, in ˚ Celsius, your body temp is only about 37 remember... Nice little warm summer rainfall, right? Near boiling?]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Want to see an atheist agree with a Christian?

Here's your opportunity.

Without getting into what did or didn't happen, if you will agree that a being who decides to kill the entire human population of the earth, saving only eight individuals, and all animal life on earth, saving only two of each species, is profoundly and purely evil, then we have something we can agree on.

I'll just wait to hear back from you.
You just sit back and wait, my friend: nuttin' so entertaining or debatable will EVER come from their single-dimensional minds!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And why do you so confidently say "ludicrous" when every civilization in existence shares a common story of the world wide flood? I'd say your statement is more nearly ludicrous. Stop watching the History Channel (The Secular Humanist Revisionist Channel).
So, Bideshi. Tell me/us all, to our faces; do you then believe in a 29,000 foot elevation global inundation, achieved in 40 days & nights, with no known sources of that volume of insta-water, that simultaneously covered the Chinese & Egyptians right when they were both fully involved in huge archeological wonders, but stupidly not really noting that the waters were covering them and their works of majesty up at the exact same time??

Do you believe it all worked out ecologically and with subsequent reproductive success for literally every currrent living thing on this planet? Meaning that Noah got the polar bears and penguins and whales and Amazonian sloths & parrots (not to mention representative samples of all the world's plants, insects, fungi, snails, turtles and marine & fresh water fish species, and octopi and so on, which would have been lost due to salinity contamination...) all back home successully? For approx. 60+M species, world-wide?

So. Here's your chance: be honest and truthful with me: do you really literally buy this stuff, hook, ilne & sinker?

Yes or No. (or, like so many Christians here, will you now find some Selective Evasion to not have to answer this with a simple Y or N? OK... We'll now see for sure, won't we?)

GopherIt Man! Show us the strength of the Lord, and your personal spiritual convictions!

Last edited by rifleman; 12-14-2012 at 02:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So. Here's your chance: be honest and truthful with me: do you really literally buy this stuff, hook, ilne & sinker?

Yes or No. (or, like so many Christians here, will you now find some Selective Evasion to not have to answer this with a simple Y or N? OK... We'll now see for sure, won't we?)

GopherIt Man! Show us the strength of the Lord, and your personal spiritual convictions!
Don't hold your breath. For anyone to genuinely believe in the literal flood that is claimed in the Bible, they would have to be insane. I say this without qualification. I'm sure that the flood WHOPPER is one of those Bible stories that the Bible editors wish they had back. They had their chance, but soon it was too late to revise the holy writ and they had to live with Genesis as it was.

This type of question really puts the faithful in a bind. If say that the flood was only allegory or myth, then the entire Bible is left open to the obvious question of what is allegory and what is literal. Of course, NO ONE can give to me the methodology for determining what in the Bible is literal, allegory, exaggeration or DOWNRIGHT LIES. I have asked this question in here at least a dozen times, with either no responses or hostile deflection.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM

476 posts, read 466,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Don't hold your breath. For anyone to genuinely believe in the literal flood that is claimed in the Bible, they would have to be insane. I say this without qualification. I'm sure that the flood WHOPPER is one of those Bible stories that the Bible editors wish they had back. They had their chance, but soon it was too late to revise the holy writ and they had to live with Genesis as it was.

This type of question really puts the faithful in a bind. If say that the flood was only allegory or myth, then the entire Bible is left open to the obvious question of what is allegory and what is literal. Of course, NO ONE can give to me the methodology for determining what in the Bible is literal, allegory, exaggeration or DOWNRIGHT LIES. I have asked this question in here at least a dozen times, with either no responses or hostile deflection.

Then why are you even on here discussing? It's obvious that there is no way you would ever entertain the notion that the event really occured. I just have to shake my head at atheists and skeptics who keep demanding evidence just so they can play this game of ripping it to pieces immediately without consideration.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
And why do you so confidently say "ludicrous" when every civilization in existence shares a common story of the world wide flood?
That is a flat out lie.

Many ancient civilizations tell stories of many floods. Which is logical, because floods happen!

However, we have evidence from a number of ancient societies, for example Egypt, China, and Greece, amongst others, that existed before Noah's so-called global flood, existed after it, and therefore were not dead, and did not report having noticed it.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD39 View Post
Then why are you even on here discussing? It's obvious that there is no way you would ever entertain the notion that the event really occured. I just have to shake my head at atheists and skeptics who keep demanding evidence just so they can play this game of ripping it to pieces immediately without consideration.
No kidding, genius. You see, I don't believe in magical appearing and disappearing water. Do you?

Demanding evidence? For wildly outrageous and totally IMPOSSIBLE claims? Guilty as charged!

Again, Hector's Law™ LIVES!

Last edited by Cosmicstargoat; 12-14-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
That is a flat out lie.

Many ancient civilizations tell stories of many floods. Which is logical, because floods happen!

However, we have evidence from a number of ancient societies, for example Egypt, China, and Greece, amongst others, that existed before Noah's so-called global flood, existed after it, and therefore were not dead, and did not report having noticed it.

Things that make you go hmmm.

That's funny cuz China does have a flood story:

The Supreme Sovereign ordered the water god Gong Gong to create a flood as punishment and warning for human misbehavior. Gong Gong extended the flood for 22 years, and people had to live in high mountain caves and in trees, fighting with wild animals for scarce resources. Unable to persuade the Supreme Sovereign to stop the flood, and told by an owl and a turkey about _Xirang_ or Growing Soil, the supernatural hero Gun stole Growing Soil from heaven to dam the waters. Before Gun was finished, however, the Supreme Sovereign sent the fire god Zhu Rong to execute him for his theft.

Almost every major civilization has a flood story sharing elements with the Biblical account, the most common being a supreme God who decides to flood the earth as punishment.

Here's one from Africa:

Southwest Tanzania:
The rivers began flooding. God told two men to go into a ship, taking with them all sorts of seed and animals. The flood rose, covering the mountains. Later, to check whether the waters had dried up, the man sent out a dove, and it came back to the ship. He waited and sent out a hawk, which did not return because the waters had dried. The men then disembarked with the animals and seeds.

Wow, a dove? You going to write that off as concidence?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Almost every major civilization has a flood story sharing elements with the Biblical account, the most common being a supreme God who decides to flood the earth as punishment.
And that, in and of itself, proves the biblical tale a lie.

How is that possible? Simple, dead men tell no tales.

According to the buybull, no human, save the 8 on the ark, survived the flood. Ergo, any flood event spoken of by any civilization could not be Noah's flood, for their civilization could not have existed after it was over to record the event. And the indisputable fact is that we've got societies that exist pre-flood, and post-flood, and are not affected.

What does that tell you?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,463 times
Quote:
That's funny cuz China does have a flood story:

The Supreme Sovereign ordered the water god Gong Gong to create a flood as punishment and warning for human misbehavior. Gong Gong extended the flood for 22 years, and people had to live in high mountain caves and in trees, fighting with wild animals for scarce resources. Unable to persuade the Supreme Sovereign to stop the flood, and told by an owl and a turkey about _Xirang_ or Growing Soil, the supernatural hero Gun stole Growing Soil from heaven to dam the waters. Before Gun was finished, however, the Supreme Sovereign sent the fire god Zhu Rong to execute him for his theft.

Here's one from Africa:

Southwest Tanzania:
The rivers began flooding. God told two men to go into a ship, taking with them all sorts of seed and animals. The flood rose, covering the mountains. Later, to check whether the waters had dried up, the man sent out a dove, and it came back to the ship. He waited and sent out a hawk, which did not return because the waters had dried. The men then disembarked with the animals and seeds.

Wow, a dove? You going to write that off as concidence?

Again that is because floods happen. What you seem to be unable to grasp is the IMPOSSIBILITY of a GLOBAL flood. Massive local floods happen all the time but a global flood as depicted in the Bible is in no way possible.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Nope, because Star Wars is a well established work of fiction. We have evidence that it is fiction. You have zilch to prove that the Bible is fiction.

None of the authors of the Bible included this bit at the end:

PS "I made this all up, snicker"
If I say it's true it must be true. Seriously?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Again that is because floods happen. What you seem to be unable to grasp is the IMPOSSIBILITY of a GLOBAL flood. Massive local floods happen all the time but a global flood as depicted in the Bible is in no way possible.

That's not even the point. THe point is their stories share striking similiarities to the Bible. But of course, you will ignore that because that's what skeptics do.

Instead, you retreat back to your "it's physically IMPOSSIBLE!!!" argument. Well let's look at that. Have you ever witnessed a global flood? Then how can you perfectly predict how a global flood would operate and affect the earth afterwards? Let's take a modern day example. Japan's Tsunami. You know from science how tsunamsi operates. But does that mean you could perfectly predict exactly how a tsunami of that magnitude would affect Japan? Perhaps, but could you also predict that debris would wash up on American shores? Could you also predict the disruption to the natural food chain in which scientists are now discovering because fish and birds are digesting bits of plastic from the debris? I doubt it.

You can't conclusively say as fact how a global flood would operate. Hell, scientists can't even give precious accurate predictions on global warming. Just a vague, well things will probably get bad in the future. Scientists can't even agree if eggs are bad for me or not. They change their "findings" every year it is. This is why I can't go against the Bible and put 100% of my faith into science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality