Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:25 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
To reiterate, in the Jewish bible, everything was created by G-d, both good and evil and everything is under G-d’s control. Only one force, not two, whereas, in Christianity Satan is not under the control of G-d but is rather, a competing force against G-d. Christian theology makes Satan so powerful that he is given the title, “the god of this world.”

This sets up a situation in Christian theology whereby Jesus must come and accomplish something to help us get out of the difficult situation – to overcome Satan, since he is at war not only with G-d, but with us. However, Judaism teaches that what is to be overcome is not Satan, but the “satan” in our path, the obstacle which has been put there for our growth.

So, to reiterate, in Judaism Satan is an agent of G-d, who provides opportunities for us to grow, to respond to our passions and desires by producing things of value in this world and to become stronger spiritual people.

Penina Taylor

Thanks, Penina for your contribution.

This is one piece of curious contradiction that I find exceedingly intriguing. It is almost a complete opposite to Christian theology that we Christians are so familiar with. This is precisely the reason why I need to study Tanach and compare it with the Old Testament and try to understand the rationale behind the differences. Jesus Himself, when He was still living on earth, was no doubt familiar with this concept as well, so were His apostles, at least some of them, I assume. Then why was such drastic change in the OT? There are so many other differences between the two that I need to learn and ponder upon. So much to discover. Tanach is definitely a fascinating read for us Christians for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:05 PM

63,887 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Thanks, Penina for your contribution.
Warden is NOT Penina Taylor. She is a Jew who became Christian, then Messianic and then back to Orthodox Jew.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:00 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,062,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Warden is NOT Penina Taylor. She is a Jew who became Christian, then Messianic and then back to Orthodox Jew.
You needed to out her like that?...

Old 05-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Wait...Who?...Warden is the Jew or Taylor?...

Old 05-07-2015, 08:18 PM

63,887 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Wait...Who?...Warden is the Jew or Taylor?...
Taylor . . . and you knew that, Richard.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:40 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
I thought I made it pretty clear in both post#40 and #49 that I'm pretty ignorant regarding most Jewish beliefs. I didn't know a thing about Ms Taylor until Mystic posted his quick quick spiritual biography.

I do understand that Jewish points of view are almost as varied as those of Christians. I like to think of myself as a truth seeker, and no one can honestly seek for truth without seeing other points of view that are not a part of one's heritage.

Everything I posted was off a couple of Jewish websites from which I was trying to learn.

Oops, my bad???

Old 05-08-2015, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Taylor . . . and you knew that, Richard.
I did?...Just looked her up...Her home town is right up the road from where I am at in Lakehurst, NJ, Lakewood, NJ...Cool...But I am surprised to read that she grew up in a secular Jewish home in Lakewood, it is very black hat there...

I wonder what was so traumatic about her childhood....

Yea, I did know...It looked like an excerpt...

Last edited by Richard1965; 05-08-2015 at 04:48 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:

Actually secular Jew to Evangelical Christian to Messianic Jew to Orthodox Jew...According to Wiki....

Old 05-08-2015, 05:58 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,811 times
Quote:
My mistake.....

What a spiritual journey Ms. Taylor had! She must be well versed in both Christianity and Judaism. That's quite respectable. I always believe that Christianity and Judaism shouldn't be mutually exclusive, and I deeply respect both religions. I wonder if she would disagree.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,722,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Actually secular Jew to Evangelical Christian to Messianic Jew to Orthodox Jew...According to Wiki....
Isn't an Orthodox Jew to the Jewish faith what fundamentalism is to Christianity, not willing to give an inch to any alternate ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality