Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I find it sad how much Christians seemed to enjoy pain and suffering.
I don't particularly disagree but also don't think JeffBase's statement is an example of that. He was countering my point that great comedy often arises from personal pain. I guess he misunderstood that as me asserting that his squeaky-clean comedian had not experienced pain. My point is that pain is sometimes raw or angry and some of the best comedy serves as an escape valve for the audience's frustrations. Louis Black is a good example, his whole shtick is frustration and anger. Oliver Hardy's "slow burn" confidential look into the camera of disgust and put-upon frustration is a more family-friendly example.

I certainly don't think all comedy has to be raw and edgy all the time but some of the best comedy certainly is, and I am glad I'm not limited in the palette of things my tender ears can be allowed to hear ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The questioners in this gospel story appear not to have assumed polygamy. Otherwise what would be the point of their question, "whose husband will she be in the resurrection?" Polygamy would remove the conundrum and render the question pointless.

Polygamy was not the norm in Greek and Roman societies of the time (though illegal bigamy and adultery were common enough and tolerated). It was somewhat the norm in Jewish society of the time, but only for the aristocracy (which makes perfect sense, as it's expensive to support more than one wife, making it a means of displaying financial power). Even then it was not common among Rabbis and was rejected by the influential Hillel school. It would ultimately be outlawed in the 11th century.

Jesus taught against "adultery" which is impossible in a polygamous social setting.

So I think polygamy is not a useful context to explain Jesus' answer in this hypothetical.
Do you have any documentation that Hillel school rejected it?...Makes one wonder if the New Testament wasn’t, in fact, written by Gentiles...

Old 11-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Do you have any documentation that Hillel school rejected it?...Makes one wonder if the New Testament wasn’t, in fact, written by Gentiles...
I recall being told this in bible institute, but don't know what the source is. Googling it, I find it mentioned a number of places, such as here, but it appears to be people repeating the claim without an original source. So I don't know ... I suppose it could be made up, or inferred on the basis that the Hillel school followed Grecio-Roman influences (where polygamy wasn't practiced) more than, say, Shammai. I honestly don't know.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I recall being told this in bible institute, but don't know what the source is. Googling it, I find it mentioned a number of places, such as here, but it appears to be people repeating the claim without an original source. So I don't know ... I suppose it could be made up, or inferred on the basis that the Hillel school followed Grecio-Roman influences (where polygamy wasn't practiced) more than, say, Shammai. I honestly don't know.
Well when one looks at what G-d told David after Nathan spoke to him about his sin with BathSheba...

Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, duh... How on earth do you know that? Ever been dead and resurrected before? Jesus Christ had a body after He was resurrected. I realize that you're not a Christian, but if you were, you'd probably believe in a physical resurrection, which is what the Bible describes.
1 Cor 15 does NOT describe a physical resurrection. It specifically distinguishes between a natural body and a spiritual body. Frankly, I would not be pleased with a physical body with its attendant drawbacks. YMMV.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Well when one looks at what G-d told David after Nathan spoke to him about his sin with BathSheba...
The question is whether polygamy was common among Jews of Jesus' time (only practiced to whatever degree among the aristocracy) and whether Jesus was supposed to have approved of it (pretty clearly, no) and thus establishing the context of his declaration that marriage doesn't exist in heaven. Anyway, I'm way beyond my level of investment in the topic ... do carry on.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
You don’t know the story of Isaac and Rebecca?...
Do you? You seem to imply that the mere mention of the names is a silver bullet that will make me suddenly recant my belief and agree with you.

What exactly are you referring to in their story?

Old 11-21-2017, 08:33 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
1 Cor 15 does NOT describe a physical resurrection. It specifically distinguishes between a natural body and a spiritual body. Frankly, I would not be pleased with a physical body with its attendant drawbacks. YMMV.
You are equating "physical" with "mortal," Mystic. They are not the same thing at all. I wouldn't want a mortal/natural body any more than you would, nor do I suspect that I will have one.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:49 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Actually I thought your post was funny. Completely wrong, but funny. haha We are not all that stuffy. There are even Christian stand up comedians. Just give this one a shot. I can't imagine even the most hardened atheist not cracking a smile at this bit. Anthony is just such a natural talent on the mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvBFpxdW7Y
Hehe, I know you folks aren't that stuffy, I was just using extremes as a point of humor -- it's partly funny precisely because you're not all that way.

Glad you enjoyed it though and took the post for what it was.

Griffith is pretty good, too ... though I doubt anyone will top Carlin in my lifetime (not because of his anti-religion stuff but his humorous take on real issues was brilliant)

Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
Sex is so spiritual, and an act that brings about the creative force that leads to birth, that infinite creative force that brings into being all phenomena,.. and guides all life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I repeat, there is nothing less spiritual and more carnal than sexual intercourse. Why would anyone think it will be part of a spiritual existence??? Besides, even Holy Matrimony is only until "death do us part."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality