Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 04:39 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times

Advertisements

Heaven or hell is our life on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 04:42 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It's a story. We agree.

What makes it a "redemption" story, and redemption from WHAT?
The fact that it is full of redemption stories.

The story of Noah
The story of Abraham and Issac
The story of Ruth
The story of Jeremiah and the potter
The parables Jesus told of the lost sheep, the lost coin
The parable of the Prodigal Son
The redemptive work of Christ
The forgiveness of Peter
Paul’s Damascus Road experience
The picture of Heaven painted in Revelation

Old 06-01-2019, 04:44 PM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Stories is the key word.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
You have so much presumption in this we need to break it down into smaller parts.

What sin? And what is a "just punishment". And why is it just? Who would determine that?

Ahhh.. so the "just punishment" is hell. Who determined this was just? Why is it just? And what is hell? Where is hell? How do we know this is true? Don't use the bible for you answer.
God determined it.

Quote:
What is a soul? How do we know it exists? How do we know it is an entity that continues after death? And even if it does, how do we know it is eternal? Don't use the bible for you answer.
Because consciousness absolutely cannot arise from material processes. Otherwise we'd be philosophical zombies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

All the cells and atoms in your body are being constantly replaced. But you retain your soul. Not only that, but you have a unique soul that entered into existence in what would otherwise be a totally arbitrary manner. Why weren't you born 100 years prior to your date of birth? Why weren't you born as someone else? I ask you the same question you asked: who would determine that?

Quote:
Don't use the bible for you answer, as that is circular.
The link I previously posted shows that the Bible authenticates itself. https://christinprophecy.org/article...he-scriptures/

Quote:
Covered by the questions and points above. There is no more evidence for a god or gods, a Jesus or Allah or Shiva, than there is for fairies, leprechauns or the Easter Bunny.
God as a first cause is absolutely necessary. https://www.ligonier.org/blog/self-existent-god/

Old 06-01-2019, 05:15 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You keep dodging my point. Whether you think it applies to you, it’s a redemption story.
Yes, it's a redemption STORY.

The only redemption I want is from some of the humans I may have wronged.

And by the way, the religious isn't exactly overflowing with the concept of redemption.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes, it's a redemption STORY.
Some stories are true, but regardless, it’s a REDEMPTION story. We agree on that.

Quote:
The only redemption I want is from some of the humans I may have wronged.
Good for you.

Quote:
And by the way, the religious isn't exactly overflowing with the concept of redemption.
Hence the need to be forgiven (and attempt to do better).

Old 06-01-2019, 05:31 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
The fact that it is full of redemption stories.

The story of Noah
The story of Abraham and Issac
The story of Ruth
The story of Jeremiah and the potter
The parables Jesus told of the lost sheep, the lost coin
The parable of the Prodigal Son
The redemptive work of Christ
The forgiveness of Peter
Paul’s Damascus Road experience
The picture of Heaven painted in Revelation
I repeat, redemption from WHAT? Your list includes genocides, child abuse, lesbian love stories, the visions of an epileptic having a seizure, and and story that sounds like the author was on an acid trip.

Redemption from WHAT?

Old 06-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I repeat, redemption from WHAT? Your list includes genocides, child abuse, lesbian love stories, the visions of an epileptic having a seizure, and and story that sounds like the author was on an acid trip.

Redemption from WHAT?
Just like anything else, from the penalty of a poor decision.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:46 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Some stories are true, but regardless, it’s a REDEMPTION story. We agree on that.

Good for you.

Hence the need to be forgiven (and attempt to do better).
By those individuals. Not by mumbo jumbo.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:49 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
God determined it.
Which god? And how do you know it is the right one? Shiva? Thor? Freya? Zeus? Mithra? Yahweh? Allah? Loki?

Quote:
Because consciousness absolutely cannot arise from material processes. Otherwise we'd be philosophical zombies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
Wrong. Science does not yet know what consciousness is, however, clearly at least the higher order animals have consciousness, and there is some evidence that plants do also. Source

Quote:
All the cells and atoms in your body are being constantly replaced.
This is predominately true.

Quote:
But you retain your soul. Not only that, but you have a unique soul that entered into existence in what would otherwise be a totally arbitrary manner.
First of all, you (and science) need to show that there even IS a soul. Speculation and believe does not make it so.
Quote:
Why weren't you born 100 years prior to your date of birth? Why weren't you born as someone else? I ask you the same question you asked: who would determine that?
I was not born earlier because my mother and father were not yet born, and had not copulated at the right time when my mother had ovulated. Simple science. No "who" involved other than those two.

Quote:
The link I previously posted shows that the Bible authenticates itself. https://christinprophecy.org/article...he-scriptures/
First of all, circular reasoning cannot authenticate oneself. That's like saying Harry Potter books are true because they say it's true.

Let's just take one instance from your link. "The old city of Tyre will never be rebuilt (v. 14)." Guess what, Tyre was never destroyed! It has always existed, and exists today. You're, like most apologists, are probably confusing it with Ushu.

Quote:
God as a first cause is absolutely necessary. https://www.ligonier.org/blog/self-existent-god/
A believe, an assertion, not a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality