U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Status: "We The North" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,547 posts, read 13,293,175 times
Reputation: 11621

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is not why Hell was invented.

Granted, Hell was co-opted for that purpose, but that is not why it it was invented.



Why don't you read the bible for once in your life so you can understand?

Jesus didn't need to exist, nor did he need to die, since everyone's sins -- and, why, yes, that means Hebrews and Gentiles -- were already forgiven.

That was true for at least 950 years before Jesus was born.

If you had ever read the bible, you'd know that.

So, how sad is it that an Atheist knows more than a christian?



Not only are they not prophetic in any way, they conflict.

Matthew claims Judas hanged himself, but that is not what Acts says.

Acts conflicts, because Judas did not hang himself, rather he died by misadventure.

They both cannot be true.

Matthew is a known liar, so we cannot believe him, and Paul lies, too, so he has no credibility, either.
But there's some really cool stories in that collection of ancient pamphlets.

Just not a whole lot of history, or fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2019, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,683 posts, read 14,144,272 times
Reputation: 15867
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But there's some really cool stories in that collection of ancient pamphlets.
I like the snake story.

While X-Moses & Co are supposedly wandering around the desert, they're being bitten by poisonous snakes and dying. This Yahweh-Jesus-Thing tells X-Moses to fashion the image of a snake out of copper and mount it on a wooden pole, then when anyone is bitten, they just have to look at the snake and they're miraculously cured.

Later, the snake is put with the Ark in the Temple.

Then, much later, about 8 centuries later, King Josiah smashes the snake image into pieces, because it's an "abomination."

I like the story, because it demonstrates how christians are totally devoid of any intellectual capacity and lacking in critical thinking skills.

Christians just can't understand there were two separate competing bibles.

One bible for the Kingdom of Israel, whose heroes were X-Moses and Samuel, and a totally separate different bible for the Kingdom of Judah, whose heroes were Aaron and Judah.

They don't understand that the bible they read now exists only because the Kingdom of Israel was destroyed. If that doesn't happen, who knows what they'd be reading? And, christianity might not even exist at all.

If Judah is destroyed and Israel survives, then they'd be reading a totally different bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2019, 02:49 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
15,189 posts, read 10,269,834 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I like the story, because it demonstrates how christians are totally devoid of any intellectual capacity and lacking in critical thinking skills.
Yup! Critical thinking within Christianity is like giving yourself a nasty cut when you are shaving to go out on a special date. You just don't want it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 02:19 AM
nng
 
210 posts, read 46,666 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Do you think that the Afterlife has a literal Hell? By that I mean the Hell as taught by Islamics and Christians, that is, an actual place where people are burning in fire, tortured for all Eternity.
I believe the wicked should be punished. But why for*all eternity? That would be the height of Cruelty. Should they not get a chance to redeem themselves? According to those Bible-teachings, what disturbs me is that the torture will be eternal.
Eternal torture. Now think about that for a moment. According to some Christians, doing just one sin disqualifies you from getting into heaven, because god is perfect and no unclean thing can be in gods presence. The only way you can be forgiven of your sins is to accept Jesus, and if you don't accept jesus, you go to hell for eternity. That is just frankly insane imo. The concept of hell turns god into a sadist. I mean, I believe wicked people are judged by god when they die, but eternal torture in hell is just flat out cruel and evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 03:01 AM
 
39,766 posts, read 26,587,259 times
Reputation: 6027
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Eternal torture. Now think about that for a moment. According to some Christians, doing just one sin disqualifies you from getting into heaven, because god is perfect and no unclean thing can be in gods presence. The only way you can be forgiven of your sins is to accept Jesus, and if you don't accept jesus, you go to hell for eternity. That is just frankly insane imo. The concept of hell turns god into a sadist. I mean, I believe wicked people are judged by god when they die, but eternal torture in hell is just flat out cruel and evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 03:16 AM
 
4,199 posts, read 2,568,470 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Eternal torture. Now think about that for a moment. According to some Christians, doing just one sin disqualifies you from getting into heaven, because god is perfect and no unclean thing can be in gods presence. The only way you can be forgiven of your sins is to accept Jesus, and if you don't accept jesus, you go to hell for eternity. That is just frankly insane imo. The concept of hell turns god into a sadist. I mean, I believe wicked people are judged by God when they die, but eternal torture in hell is just flat out cruel and evil.
Everyone has their opinions and of course we have no way of knowing either way. The concept of hell sounds scary but when adults pretend to be hell experts or incessantly try to silence other's thoughts regarding the notion of hell things tend to get a bit scarier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 AM
nng
 
210 posts, read 46,666 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Everyone has their opinions and of course we have no way of knowing either way. The concept of hell sounds scary but when adults pretend to be hell experts or incessantly try to silence other's thoughts regarding the notion of hell things tend to get a bit scarier.
Fair point. I like hearing others points of view, but I don't like the hell concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 AM
 
4,199 posts, read 2,568,470 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Fair point. I like hearing others points of view, but I don't like the hell concept.
Me neither. That's why I made up my mind I wasn't going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Manchester,England
11 posts, read 1,093 times
Reputation: 15
As a catholic christian i believe in hell & purgatory. At Bayside USA (1970-94) Jesus & Mary appeared to the visionary Veronica and she was shown both hell & purgatory. Hell is the place made for Satan & his angels for rebelling against God, human souls who have rejected the God of the bible go there after there earthly death, as they cannot go to be with their maker for eternity as they chose to reject him during their earthly lives. Purgatory is the place believers go for purification for the sins that were not remitted on earth, but after a period they are released. After the final judgement (once christ's 1000 year reign on the new earth ends) then the soles from hell end up in the eternal lake of fire. So the eternal punishment is for those who have chosen to reject their maker. Thus the saying knock & the door will be opened to you & seek & you shall find, that is how myself and millions of practising christians found God, through prayer which is your communion with God. It is just a satanic delusion that these places don't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 07:46 AM
 
10,171 posts, read 2,602,085 times
Reputation: 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN600 View Post
As a catholic christian i believe in hell & purgatory. At Bayside USA (1970-94) Jesus & Mary appeared to the visionary Veronica and she was shown both hell & purgatory. Hell is the place made for Satan & his angels for rebelling against God, human souls who have rejected the God of the bible go there after there earthly death, as they cannot go to be with their maker for eternity as they chose to reject him during their earthly lives. Purgatory is the place believers go for purification for the sins that were not remitted on earth, but after a period they are released. After the final judgement (once christ's 1000 year reign on the new earth ends) then the soles from hell end up in the eternal lake of fire. So the eternal punishment is for those who have chosen to reject their maker. Thus the saying knock & the door will be opened to you & seek & you shall find, that is how myself and millions of practising christians found God, through prayer which is your communion with God. It is just a satanic delusion that these places don't exist.
How can people be released from purgatory after a 'period of time'...when there is NO time in the afterlife?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top