Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 06:49 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh you are right. We should definatly go back to what they did in the Old Testament! Ya know stoning kids to death and tossing them off of cliffs when they were bad. Just kidding. It has nothing to do with parenting now a days.
If we're using the metaphor so popular with the churches of "God as loving parent", I think it does. Problem is, YHWH is more abusive than loving-- and his children still act like jerks about as often as do the neighbors'. They're just jerks who flinch occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If we're using the metaphor so popular with the churches of "God as loving parent", I think it does. Problem is, YHWH is more abusive than loving-- and his children still act like jerks about as often as do the neighbors'. They're just jerks who flinch occasionally.
That's funny and I don't care who knows it.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Oh you are right. We should definatly go back to what they did in the Old Testament! Ya know stoning kids to death and tossing them off of cliffs when they were bad. Just kidding. It has nothing to do with parenting now a days.
i have known more than one gangbanger ready for some rock biting and cliff skydiving, way way overdue. your adversion is not to the past or the bible, its much larger than that, this american abhorrance is to the entire concept of punishment. no punishment--- no justice. the only place americans even practice punishment and discipline is in the military, police, & some serious sports. it is practiced still there bek it works. the anti god thing is an extension of our hatred of justice and punishment.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-05-2008 at 09:20 AM..

Old 12-05-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
current definition of abuse is raising your voice or not giving them what they want. our anti god anti justice/punishment thing expresses itself in our parenting and the resulting mean streets. crime does not pop up on the street, it overflows from the home.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no punishment--- no justice. the only place americans even practice punishment and discipline is in the military, police, & some serious sports. it is practiced still there bek it works. the anti god thing is an extension of our hatred of justice and punishment.
I can see your point but it is not always so black & white. For instance, I believe in justice & punishment but I don't believe in Bible/Koran God.

I believe that my parents instilled a proper sense of discipline in me and I am a big fan of self-discipline. Still don't need Abraham and Co. though. Some people need to have a religion in order to discipline the self, but not everybody does.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I can see your point but it is not always so black & white. For instance, I believe in justice & punishment but I don't believe in Bible/Koran God.

I believe that my parents instilled a proper sense of discipline in me and I am a big fan of self-discipline. Still don't need Abraham and Co. though. Some people need to have a religion in order to discipline the self, but not everybody does.
glad you see clearly. multitudes stumble and fall in the grey fog.
we cannot bear to deny our children what we never had (ease comfort indulgence and the never ending 2nd chance), of course that is what made us strong.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
God doesn't send anyone to hell? Isn't he the judge? If he's the judge, then it is his decision. You say "an unloving god would never have sent a way for us to escape eternal hell" Well why not just not send people to hell at all?
God gave us all free will. If we choose to reject God, then we will spend eternity without God. The reason why hell is such an awful place is because God is absent.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
current definition of abuse is raising your voice or not giving them what they want. our anti god anti justice/punishment thing expresses itself in our parenting and the resulting mean streets. crime does not pop up on the street, it overflows from the home.
Hyperbole isn't really a good look for you, Huck.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,808 times
Quote:
Okay, let me see if I can put this right. People say God loves us like we love our own kids. Now, would any parent have a bunch of kids and say, "you do exactly as I say or I will punish you forever by burning you eternally..." And the fact that he put demons and such down here with the kids that he "loves" so much. Wouldn't that be like putting our own kids in a den of lions? Something doesn't add up here.
You have kids right, so do you let them run around like lunitics and do what ever they want? Do you allow your kids to walk into danger? Do you allow you kids to play with fire, or jump off of a building, or run into moving cars? Do you allow your kids to play with dogs that bite, or play with bears. Do you allow your kids to walk around with tigers?

I'm sure if one of your kids did something that you told them not to do, you would punish them. Not to hurt them, but to discipline them because you love them. You would never allow your children to walk in harms way, atleast I hope that you would not. That is what God does for us.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:26 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
So where's the list of sins and the list of their corresponding punishments then? What's the punishment for mixing linen and wool?
What happened to "all sins being equal?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality