Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 04:56 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You may have been baptized, confirmed, gone to church, but did you ever ask Jesus into your heart and forgive you of your sins, did you have true repentance, a real relationship with Jesus? If your answer is no, then you never were a child of the King.
So where in the bible does it say to "ask Jesus into your heart"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Has anyone else noticed that the excuse offered for Hell-- "God's not sending you to hell, you cause that yourself by being bad"-- is the same one offered by abusive husbands and parents? Is it any wonder that conservative Christian parenting "experts" like Ezzo or Michael & Debi Pearl have offered "solutions" to infantile misbehavior that are abusive in the extreme (like smacking your child with plumbing pipes)?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 AM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
So, at which point do you become a Child of God?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
You become a Child of God when..............

Romans 10:9-That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

John 3:16-18-For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Oh yes, I even vaguely remember when i prayed for such forgiveness. But I never felt changed or different at all, I knew that I was still accountable for my own actions and that god had no part in them. If i had to narrow it down I would say two things lead me away from christianity. First, it was never my choice, never my religion. Second, as my mind grew there was no more need for religion. And that, in fact many religions can hinder that growth.

But this is only my personal story, I'm sure its not the same for every one.
Saying a prayer, attending church, baptism, works, etc have nothing to do with Salvation. The scriptures are filled with eternal assurance of salvation, any other teaching is taking the Bible out of context. They cause confusion................

1 Cor 14:33-For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

If a person was truly saved they will always remain so.......

2Timothy 2:13-If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

I'll take God's word for it since all men are liars (that includes the pope, your pastor, you, me, everybody):

Romans 3:4-God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure there were times when my daughter felt like she was in a lion's den when she got out of line! When I made rules, I meant them, and I was consistent.

How would YOU like to parent this world full of pathetic people?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
Quote:
If God loves us like we love our own kids...then why...?

Who said God loves us like we love our kids?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post

I'll take God's word for it since all men are liars (that includes the pope, your pastor, you, me, everybody):
Fair enough, Lakeland, but does that not include the people who transcribed that word of God? Or those who compiled the collection that became the Bible? Or those who translate?

IOW, how do you know that all that very human effort is precisely your God's word? And given its inconsistencies, does that say something about the God who so very precisely authored it?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sure there were times when my daughter felt like she was in a lion's den when she got out of line! When I made rules, I meant them, and I was consistent.

How would YOU like to parent this world full of pathetic people?
I manage to parent four of them without resorting to torture or violence, and I'm neither omnipotent nor omniscient.
Surely an all-powerful being doesn't need to resort to emulating the Pearls, or even Dobson. <insert image of YHWH wrestling the family dog for the toilet seat>

Old 12-04-2008, 11:23 AM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
See post #83 by Lakeland Yankee, I agree with everything they said.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You may have been baptized, confirmed, gone to church, but did you ever ask Jesus into your heart and forgive you of your sins, did you have true repentance, a real relationship with Jesus? If your answer is no, then you never were a child of the King.
I know alot of people who did all that and got saved. And they're still the biggest bunch of back-stabbers, gossiping jerks that walk the face of the earth. And still have the nerve to look down at others in thier own self righteous ways, and most of them are church MEMBERS. And I was related to a bunch of them in Fayetteville, North Carolina, my ex-wifes family.

No pun intended at you I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA, just my view-point.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Fair enough, Lakeland, but does that not include the people who transcribed that word of God? Or those who compiled the collection that became the Bible? Or those who translate?

IOW, how do you know that all that very human effort is precisely your God's word? And given its inconsistencies, does that say something about the God who so very precisely authored it?
Good question as there were no printing presses back then but The Dead Sea Scrolls prove that the early scribes were accurate in their copys. They also contain the Messianic prophecies about Jesus' death and resurrection BEFORE Jesus was even born.

What inconsistencies are in the Bible? My Bible taken in the proper context has none.
I trust the Holy Spirit was guiding the authors in their writings.

2Timothy 3:16-17-All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Hebrews 4:12-For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

1 Thessalonians 1:5-For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

Matthew 24:35-Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Galatians 1:11-12-But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Revelation 22:18-For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality