Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,586,374 times

Advertisements

all the laws are in the bible.

a lot of churches invent their own laws which is something i dont put up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Your last part here is totally me! I got sick of the "church" trying to bully people into following whatever "laws" they thought needed to be followed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
It's really all just a head trip. No one knows what you or anyone else truly believes, or what you try to convince yourself to believe out of fear.

The way I see it, there are two forms of Christianity - fear based, and love based. On the fear based side, we have the fundamentalists with all their fire, brimstone, finger pointing, and threats. This form of Christianity is used to control people.

The love based Christians are more open minded, not so big on adhering to stupid rules and controlling people, and offer sermons to help you keep positive about life, rather than trying to force you to deny who you are or force you to adhere to a certain interpretation of certain scriptures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
all the laws are in the bible.

a lot of churches invent their own laws which is something i dont put up with.
No person on earth follows all the "laws" in the bible! Some of them are just silly. Ya know, don't mix linen and wool....yadayadayada

Old 12-02-2008, 02:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Your last part here is totally me! I got sick of the "church" trying to bully people into following whatever "laws" they thought needed to be followed.
That's why I love our church - it's inspirational, inclusive, and helps people get through life. As a kid, I was dragged to a very fundie church and I was constantly living in fear since I didn't have the capability of thinking for myself.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM

there are only a few yadayadayada that will send you to hell.

mixing linen/wool isn't one of them

Quote:
No person on earth follows all the "laws" in the bible! Some of them are just silly. Ya know, don't mix linen and wool....yadayadayada

Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
there are only a few yadayadayada that will send you to hell.

mixing linen/wool isn't one of them
So where's the list of sins and the list of their corresponding punishments then? What's the punishment for mixing linen and wool?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM

Read Galatians

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
So where's the list of sins and the list of their corresponding punishments then? What's the punishment for mixing linen and wool?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,404 times
My conclusion is that god is a bad parent. "Hell" is the equivalent on God giving up on you, no parent should ever stop giving their kids chances to prove themselves.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:10 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
People who do that shouldn't be allowed to get married!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM

63,793 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
My conclusion is that god is a bad parent. "Hell" is the equivalent on God giving up on you, no parent should ever stop giving their kids chances to prove themselves.
Until they grow up and have no choice but to accept the consequences of what they have become. God gets a bad rap from the ridiculous expectations and pronouncements of humans who (even the ones supposedly inspired) . . . attach all sorts of human detritus and baggage to God that has no business being there at all. There is no punishment . . . just consequences of our own choices that differ in their ultimate affect on our adult spirit. Given the likelihood of "weeping and gnashing of teeth" upon learning of the reality of this . . . that alone could be a Hell to be reckoned with . . . no punishment involved. A truly benevolent God, tho, might provide an ultimate opportunity to either "try again" or some other eventually benign solution to the dilemma. Then again . . . maybe not. What might recycling entail in the spiritual realm?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 PM

33,530 posts, read 37,130,597 times
So what about me? I'm an atheist, but have led an honest life, have hurt no one and have helped many. I will never accept Christ and for this alone I have been told countless times that I will be going to hell....Is Gods ego that big?....It seems a bit harsh to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality