Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
What inconsistencies are in the Bible? My Bible taken in the proper context has none.
I trust the Holy Spirit was guiding the authors in their writings.

I suspect, Lakeland, that were we to go much further we would devolve into discussions of what constitutes "proper context".
What it comes down to, ultimately, is pure, unadulterated faith. Which is not a bad thing, necessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I know alot of people who did all that and got saved. And they're still the biggest bunch of back-stabbers, gossiping jerks that walk the face of the earth. And still have the nerve to look down at others in thier own self righteous ways, and most of them are church MEMBERS. And I was related to a bunch of them in Fayetteville, North Carolina, my ex-wifes family.

No pun intended at you I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA, just my view-point.
You're so right. That's why the whole "ask" Jesus into your heart thing just doesn't totally make sense. Then you've got to ask yourself which one these is more important:
Ephesians 2: 8-9 Fory by grace ye are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast.
Or
James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead.

So which is it??? Faith alone or Faith plus Works?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
You're so right. That's why the whole "ask" Jesus into your heart thing just doesn't totally make sense. Then you've got to ask yourself which one these is more important:
Ephesians 2: 8-9 Fory by grace ye are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works lest any man should boast.
Or

I would say, BOTH.
When you have faith you walk the walk, and when can walk the walk, then you can show others how to do so. But not in a judgmental way. And you don't do it to be able to say, "look at what I did, or what can do". Being humble in nature like Christ was is the right thing to do.

If others do you wrong or don't live the way you think God wants them too. You don't stand there and shaking a fist or the Bible at them, yelling, or mumbling under your breath, "God will get you for that". Now you have just became "Judgmental, and your as wrong as they are.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Or

True saving faith (salvation) will produce good works. Faith without works means that a person is not truly saved.

Matthew 13:23-But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Matthew 7:21-Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

The will of the Father is to accept the free gift of salvation.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times
So if one technically believes in Jesus, ya know the whole ask Jesus into your heart and all that, but does nothing else.....???

Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
Quote:
So if one technically believes in Jesus, ya know the whole ask Jesus into your heart and all that, but does nothing else.....???
It's a double sided coin - Jesus said, "If you love me, you'll keep my commandments." (Jn 14:15)

Heads - "Loving" Him is a real relationship starter, and you would long to please someone you love, right?

Tails - this is the dynamic that people need to understand: He changes people. What He is saying here is that a direct result from that relationship is a changed person...you will live differently because His life in you will cause you to please Him. (Ezek 36:27)

Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Tails - this is the dynamic that people need to understand: He changes people. What He is saying here is that a direct result from that relationship is a changed person...you will live differently because His life in you will cause you to please Him. (Ezek 36:27)
If this is indeed the case, the Jehovah's Witnesses may be onto something with their belief that only 144,000 are getting into heaven. Because frankly, hose who claim Christianity aren't, IME, any improvement over the Great Unwashed rest of us.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:05 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I know alot of people who did all that and got saved. And they're still the biggest bunch of back-stabbers, gossiping jerks that walk the face of the earth. And still have the nerve to look down at others in thier own self righteous ways, and most of them are church MEMBERS. And I was related to a bunch of them in Fayetteville, North Carolina, my ex-wifes family.

No pun intended at you I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA, just my view-point.
And those people will have to give an account of their actions before God someday.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If this is indeed the case, the Jehovah's Witnesses may be onto something with their belief that only 144,000 are getting into heaven. Because frankly, hose who claim Christianity aren't, IME, any improvement over the Great Unwashed rest of us.
Actually that figure (144,000 ) is in the bible.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually that figure (144,000 ) is in the bible.
I thought it was, somewhere, but the Witnesses seem to be the only ones hanging on to it.
I think everybody else is having a tough time reconciling the "whosoever believeth in me shall not perish" thing with 144K...because Christendom sure has a bunch more people in its ranks than that. Shoot, even the Church of Christ, which generally assumes that anyone who isn't them is damned, has way more than a couple hundred thousand members.
Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality