Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times

Advertisements

The thing I wonder about this, especially if you take the Christian faith literally, is this: If Jesus is the only way to heaven and you must be born again (repent and be like Christ) and if you don't you're damned to eternal hell.....
however, God is love and a merciful god.....
then why would, probably, 90% of the world be sent to hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The thing I wonder about this, especially if you take the Christian faith literally, is this: If Jesus is the only way to heaven and you must be born again (repent and be like Christ) and if you don't you're damned to eternal hell.....
however, God is love and a merciful god.....
then why would, probably, 90% of the world be sent to hell?
Whatever the percentage is, ( I think more than 10% will be in Heaven) they won't sent to hell, they will be there because of their choice.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:13 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I thought it was, somewhere, but the Witnesses seem to be the only ones hanging on to it.
I think everybody else is having a tough time reconciling the "whosoever believeth in me shall not perish" thing with 144K...because Christendom sure has a bunch more people in its ranks than that. Shoot, even the Church of Christ, which generally assumes that anyone who isn't them is damned, has way more than a couple hundred thousand members.
Oops.
Actually the Seventh-day Adventists use this number too. However, they present the 144,000 as the number of martyrs who will be in heaven. They don't specify the number of "regular" people though, so there's no apparent limit to how many they believe will get to heaven.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:21 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Why is anyone punishing their kids?

God correct His children on earth because He loves them.
By having 35,000 of them starve to death every day? How about the thousands, raped, pillaged and murdered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
YOU decide to be burning in Hell because you chose to reject Him.

Otherwise....give your life to Jesus, and repent from your sins.
Not only will your life change but you'll have everlasting life with God.
"Do what I want and don't ask any questions or you'll burn in hell forever". Is that really your idea of a loving, compassionate god? You really believe that?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Okay, let me see if I can put this right. People say God loves us like we love our own kids. Now, would any parent have a bunch of kids and say, "you do exactly as I say or I will punish you forever by burning you eternally..." And the fact that he put demons and such down here with the kids that he "loves" so much. Wouldn't that be like putting our own kids in a den of lions? Something doesn't add up here.
The answer's pretty obvious isn't it?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually that figure (144,000 ) is in the bible.
Rev 7:4-8

Rev 14:1-5

Old 12-04-2008, 10:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
that is an easy one. god did not change---- we did. current concept of a parent is somebody that lets me bed my girl friend in the back room when i want and sends me to hawaii 1x a year. they are waiting til i finish school to put me out of the house or when i turn 40 whichever comes 1st.
we got rid of parenting 30 years ago. a true parent punishes as well as rewards. he is not your buddy.
the palm of a true parent is far less cruel than the lessons that await us in the real world.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:41 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is an easy one. god did not change---- we did. current concept of a parent is somebody that lets me bed my girl friend in the back room when i want and sends me to hawaii 1x a year. they are waiting til i finish school to put me out of the house or when i turn 40 whichever comes 1st.
we got rid of parenting 30 years ago. a true parent punishes as well as rewards. he is not your buddy.
the palm of a true parent is far less cruel than the lessons that await us in the real world.
VERY TRUE There are very few real parents or teachers left anymore and the proof is the crime stats of today and the type of crimes that have increased over time.Parents need to quit letting video games and the TV be their babysitters and get off their lazy butts and TEACH their children.Go into any public place in America today and watch some idiot parent sit there watching their child bothering everyone in the place and never scold nor teach them any manners.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:12 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,828 times
Quote:
Oh you are right. We should definatly go back to what they did in the Old Testament! Ya know stoning kids to death and tossing them off of cliffs when they were bad. Just kidding. It has nothing to do with parenting now a days.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Again, I have no need to smack the crap out of my kids to teach them to be productive human beings. And since two of them are adults, both married (one making almost as much as her dad, and the other still in college since she took time out to do a silly little thing like serve her country) and respectable citizens, I have a fair amount of confidence in my methods.
There's a vast middle ground between "black" and "white" (or in this conversation, eternal damnation and Hawaii), whether extreme conservatives-- or YHWH-- want to acknowledge the fact or no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality