Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 02:42 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Ok. There are those who believe that rationality itself is based on Christianity, the name Logos for Jesus being much more than an appellation, and is descriptive of his central role in understanding all knowledge. Others will of course disagree very greatly with this. And that is because religion, including Christianity, is by its very nature elective because undemonstrable from first principles. Which is why throwing Bible verses (or Qur'anic verses) around to justify one's beliefs is not only useless, but liable to be counter-productive.
I reject all such blanket assertions. We are all looking at and experiencing the same reality. ALL recorded speculations about it CAN (not must) contain useful information when seeking a synthesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 02:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I reject all such blanket assertions. We are all looking at and experiencing the same reality.
Jesus agrees, saying that he would draw all men to him when he was crucified. But one cannot prove that all who hear or read the gospel believe it- that is 'throwing Bible verses around'.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
Has the long history of Egypt been done in detail to make that kind of a declaration?
Yes it has. Records go back some 6-8 thousand years. Never in that time and certainly not since that 'prophecy' was made has Egypt been uninhabited for 40 years.

Quote:
Would they keep records of something that is a blow to their national pride?
Even if they didn't, their enemies would.

Quote:
This prophesy has yet to be fulfilled.
Ah yes!! The faithful old 'sometime in the future' prophecy. You just can't beat those can you? If it happens you say 'See, told ya!' and if it doesn't happen you just keep claiming 'it 'aint time yet!'

Quote:
Many a times archeologists and world scholars would mock the Bible as they did at one time about the city of Haran where Abraham came from, saying that it did not exist, laughing it off as a fairy tale, until they had found it.... but little will anyone see those mocking critics announce a turn about faith in the Bible.
Here is the history of Harran....

Harran - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please tell us why a place with such a well documented history would be considered not to have existed by archaeologists? It is recorded in the history of it's enemies and it's trading partners. The Medes, Persians, Greeks, and Romans all knew about it, traded with it and fought against it. It is inconceivable that archaeology would claim it didn't exist. You may be correct in saying archaeology couldn't find it but that's not the same as archaeology saying that it didn't exist.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM

646 posts, read 633,934 times
Default Using the bible to prove the bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Should you believe a criminal's story because he said it's true or should you investigate beyond taking his word for it? If you used his story to prove his story then no one would ever be convicted.

Is the bible true? Yes, God wrote it.
Did God write it? Yes, the bible said so.
Don't be so bent on a conviction!
In this, you are mistaken.
If you investigate beyond taking his word for it and his alibi checks out, did you not take his story to prove his story?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:05 PM

354 posts, read 749,373 times
what i dont understand is why you want people to believe what you believe. we are all different, our minds, personality, attitudes, perception, culture, opinions, point of views and just about anything you can think of. what makes u happy is different from other people's happiness. some is happy with simple life, some wants extravagance. what you deem right may not be for other people. to say you are right, they are wrong, is utter ignorance and arrogance at the same time.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
what i dont understand is why you want people to believe what you believe. we are all different, our minds, personality, attitudes, perception, culture, opinions, point of views and just about anything you can think of. what makes u happy is different from other people's happiness. some is happy with simple life, some wants extravagance. what you deem right may not be for other people. to say you are right, they are wrong, is utter ignorance and arrogance at the same time.
Yet, by your past and present posts you are doing exactly what you claim to not understand.

Talk about utter ignorance and arrogance.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Don't be so bent on a conviction!
In this, you are mistaken.
If you investigate beyond taking his word for it and his alibi checks out, did you not take his story to prove his story?
Why do you believe his story?
(A) Because he said "trust me" when telling his story
(B) Because I have DNA evidence, witnesses and it was caught on tape

You don't see a difference?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Using the Bible to prove the Bible

Does the term "Circuitous Logic" ring any bells?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,566,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Using the Bible to prove the Bible

Does the term "Circuitous Logic" ring any bells?
Rather like "Tilting at Windmills".

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
One of the rules of evangelization (I used to hear) was that in defense of the faith, a Christian was to use "scripture to defend scripture." It made all the sense in the world to me while I was in the fog but looking back, it makes not one lick of sense. I see it on CD quite often. A question is asked about the validity of a particular bible story or biblical passage and then the believer turns around and uses the same book that is being questioned to prove the truth of the story/passage.

Years ago I used to do the same thing and an atheist used to keep telling me, "you cannot use the bible to prove the bible." I never really paid attention to what he was saying because I was so committed to the idea that using scripture to prove scripture was the way to go. Now I realize that what he was essentially saying is that such a tactic amounts to nothing more than circular argument.

Imagine sitting with someone, obsessed with Snow White, and trying to tell them Snow White does not exist and they keep telling you, "Well you might not believe it, but according to page 15 in the story, it says Snow White met a witch in the forest so she must have existed." Imagine being told that Darth Vader existed just because a fantasy movie brought him to life?

How do you deal with the circular argument presented by believers completely ignoring the idea of empirical evidence?

Regards,

DeGuire
What should be used to prove the Bible is obvious statements made by the Bible. Such statements showing us fulfilled prophecies, and historical discoveries that confirm those statements. And that is where you will find the empirical evidence. And often, that is the evidence that is (IGNORED) by the non believers of the Bible. The prophecies of the Jewish people returning to the land of Israel in the Last Days is a perfect example. The Bible tells us they would first take back southern Israel which they did in the year 1948, and then it tells us secondly they would retake Jerusalem. Which they did in 1967. The Bible tells us, that at the sametime we would see Jerusalems East Gate with a Porch Gate added to it, and that Gate would be sealed up. And all attempts to open it would fail until the Prince to come would open it. They hate to hear these prophecies, and that's because, they are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality