Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:04 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Why do you ignore us when we tell you that you are using circular logic?
Because I don't.
Quote:

You are so far in denial that you've convinced yourself of some hidden motives behind our disbelief instead of listening and understanding that you can't claim that the bible is true simple because the bible claims it's true.
No....I'm pretty sure that it is true that you can lead an atheist to evidence but not make him think.
Quote:
Seriously though. How would you feel if a muslim went to you, asked you why you don't believe the Quran, ignored the answer that you gave him and then heard him/her claim that it was because you were lazy or evil or stupid?
the muslims on this board do that every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
It's too bad that the guy who wrote Genesis never observed it.
Well he did'nt have to. He was raised in Egyptian royal household and schooled no doubt in the mythological ways of Egypt. Had he wrote down what he had been taught in Royal Egyptian school, the outcry here would have really been greater.

However, he did write what he was told to write down by the one who created it. No specific scientific mechanical detailed facts were necessary or purposed. Just order of appearance of things on earth. No 144 hours myth, just creative periods, eras, or epic periods of time. Time does'nt matter, it was'nt necessary to explain to a people who at that time would'nt have comprihended the things we know today anyway.

I realize you don't like the creator thing, and i realize why, I probably would'nt either in your situation, but it does'nt conflict with what science says about the order of appearance of life and events on our earth. You just have to dismiss some of the Kool-Aid stuff. Although I suppose many won't let that happen.

Good luck

Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
the muslims on this board do that every day.
If that's true then why do you feel the urge to do that to us? Why do you hate us so much?

Old 02-20-2009, 01:46 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
If that's true then why do you feel the urge to do that to us? Why do you hate us so much?
Because secretly he knows what we say has merit, and subconsciously he hates us for that.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
It was recorded in the book of Genesis. It was observed by Him.
Why do I believe what the bible says?
Because I believe God inspired it.

Why do I believe God inspired it?
Because that's what the bible says.

Because...

"The dogma chases its own tail.."

Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM

430 posts, read 583,585 times
Quote:
Why do you ignore us when we tell you that you are using circular logic?
Quote:
Because I don't.

No....I'm pretty sure that it is true that you can lead an atheist to evidence but not make him think. .
First: you provide us, almost hourly, with prime examples of circular arguments.

Second: Are you stating that atheists are incapable of proper thought? That only Christians are?

Perhaps Logic's wisdom can penetrate, grasshopper....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post

(Example of circular argument, one more time...)

Because I believe God inspired it.

Why do I believe God inspired it?
Because that's what the bible says.

Because...

"The dogma chases its own tail.."
BTW, Logic, that's a classic. May I use it as I instruct the young? They at least listen when wisdom enters the room. Not necessarily my limited knowledge, you understand; as with this quote, I mostly quote others' primal knowledge.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:

No....I'm pretty sure that it is true that you can lead an atheist to evidence but not make him think.

I'm pretty sure you can lead a believer to the evidence, but not make them think. Believers discard claims that have been empirically proven since facts contradict their belief system, so things that have been proven empirically are automatically false. They think that their beliefs can be rationally justified and have evidentiary support, although it is the complete opposite. Their beliefs are merely unverifiable opinions which don't have any merit of objective truth.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
If there is convincing evidence as kdbrich claims then the christian religion is a sham covered in hypocrisy. Jesus promised believers that their faith could move mountains, that faith would grant them eternal life but it takes no faith to believe in something backed up with large amounts of evidence.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:42 AM

1,216 posts, read 2,264,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
How is it so difficult to understand that life can come from nothing but a few atoms? If there was a speck of dust, it would have a proton. That proton could split and become two, and then they could split and become 4, etc. Eventually there are millions of atoms, some combine to make different elements due to the heat created by the movement and pressure of other atoms. Those combinations end up creating various elements. Some of those elements combine to create primitive forms of life. Evolution is natural after that. We accept genetics as science, but then we'll deny what makes genetics tick? We know that a poodle and a Labrador will make a labradoodle, and we know that a white man and a black woman will make a child who is half white and half black (in 99.999% of cases), and that the child of two people with the same skin color will still have features from each parent. So if we are the result of centuries of breeding, how are we NOT evolved?

And for that matter, are you really saying that there has been no genetic progress in animals when we clearly see the differences in many animals from century to century? Look at how the Bulldog has evolved in just 100 years since being removed from the fighting rings...

Humans and animals are exactly the same, except that humans just have more developed brains and are capable of higher thought (well, some of us are) and expressive creativity. We see evolution all the time in animals, so why deny its existence? To me, denying evolution is one of the most foolish of the very foolish "Christian" beliefs...
can i direct the argument to another direction ?
actually i believe in existence of evolution process in the sense of your description for it
but is that mean as a fact (not as probability ) that God not exist or that the entire universe not created by him .
what about if i said to you that God controll or create this kind of evolution process you allready described ? are you have any reliable evidence or scientific facts which refutes me ?

another question , and anyone are wellcome to respond
what is the defination of evolution ( the evolution which proofed scienifically without doubts ) ? i want scientific definations please

thanx

Old 02-21-2009, 05:22 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
Leftydan did give you scientific explanation. How much clearer can it be. Life formed imho when things were just right at the right time, place, and moment for that to happen. It is much easier to beleive than some space alien magically poofing life here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
can i direct the argument to another direction ?
actually i believe in existence of evolution process in the sense of your description for it
but is that mean as a fact (not as probability ) that God not exist or that the entire universe not created by him .
what about if i said to you that God controll or create this kind of evolution process you allready described ? are you have any reliable evidence or scientific facts which refutes me ?

another question , and anyone are wellcome to respond
what is the defination of evolution ( the evolution which proofed scienifically without doubts ) ? i want scientific definations please

thanx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality