Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
What is the ONE proof that you have that made you believe in it?

Do you have one? Do you have any reason to believe other than the indoctrination you likely received in a public school?

It's ok, you can use a dictionary if you need to look up the big words.
Surprise, surprise, I did not go to public school, ever. I went to parochial fundamentalist xtian schools my whole life. Wow, didn't see that one coming, did you? However, at about age 11, I actually started thinking for myself and figured out what a load of crap it all was. Therefore, the brainwashing never took.

There are hundreds of proofs in those scientific texts if you had the cojones to read them and perhaps challenge yourself and your beliefs. But that's exactly why I know you will NOT read them -- you don't want to take the chance on learning that you're wrong about evolution. Too bad too, because life is about learning; not about stagnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,678 times
Quote:
wow....that's um.....so........

clear

Can you give me some examples in your own words? Maybe a link to an actual article?
Are you for real? Those are the reference details to the original research.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Are you for real? Those are the reference details to the original research.
Indeed, and my apologies for the html formatting. I did correct it but not quickly enough.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Talking "Ah behold the Ostrich! Well, first he'll have to pull his head out of..."

Quote:
It's never been observed. It's a myth.

Aristotle believed that aphids appeared via abiogenesis from the morning dew.

He knew nothing of parthenogenesis. We now do. Thx to scientific curiosity.

Redi proved that maggots did not naturally occur on meat left out where flies could not get to it to lay eggs.

Life does not come from non-life. It's that simple.
I think you meant to say": The appearance of known species, previously noted and observed and recorded, doesn't arise out of nothing." Right? It's that simple. (Help me here, Mystic. The boy's confused and he represents your side here. I'd be embarrassed to be on that debating team....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Yeh! and nothing expoled to create something which colided with itself to make galaxies and solar systems. Makes senses... uh no!
"expoled"?? Not familiar with that term. As science has stated so often and so loudly, Evolution has nothing to do with the origins of life. Hey Mystic, help me here again; surely you can stop this relentless nonsense these guys keep spouting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
And all animals give birth to animals that are the same kind as they are... Hey thats what the bible says! So what we observe in nature is evidence of the bible not evolution.
Well, NIKK, old chum, you're partly right. That IS what the bible says, but we now know, irrefutibly, that it's wrong. Do check out "phenotype" versus "genotype". Perhaps Mystic can point out some good articles. What you see in the next generation of giraffes is not, I repeat, not necessarily what you saw in the last generation.

Right, Mystic?

Accumulating DNA transcription errors and all that jazz. But then, NIKK, you'd have to have paid at least minimal attention in Grade 10 biology class. Eventually, given enough of these errors, the non-lethal ones, some accumulated altered genotypic info results in external appearance changes (i.e.: the organism's "phenotype"). And thus, over about 8,000+ generations, a wolf slowly adaptively evolves into and becomes a coyote or a fox or even a chijuajua.

I know, it's impossible. Mystic, you take over. My head hurts, and you're apparently better equipped.

Quote:
It's never been observed. Sorry. It's an umproven myth. I don't believe in myths.
Ohhhhh kd....ohhh my..... ohhhhh. Really? You don't believe in myths?

And you say Evolution's never been observed? Are we completely out of touch here? See SuSu's offerings below. And don't "deflect"!

Quote:
wow....that's um.....so........

clear (I THOUGHT SO...YOU DEFLECTED. Well, at least you'red predictable and reliable.)

Can you give me some examples in your own words? Maybe a link to an actual article?
Geez... I'm purty shur she jist did, kd. Dinn she Mystic? I'm purty shur.

My head hurts. Tylenol time!

(BTW, Mystic: my "arrogance", if it really is that, is in accepting that the observed and documented flow of valid information is relentless, increasing in rate and accuracy and depth as we venture into the new age of scientific inquiry.

I just choose, so far, to attribute it to unknown causes, perhaps chance. You default, not I, to a mystical origin. You, not I, claim that since we're here, thus there's a God. What's arrogant about saying "I don't know, nor does "science"?

What IS arrogant is to force a mythical belief system complete with tithing and late-night offers of holy water down non-thinker's throats.

Agreed? Information accumulates. Better information accumulates faster. Such things as the human genome map: do you see that as a retrograde step or an advancement in knowledge? It has defined mitochondrial lineage back-tracing with irrefutible accuracy and, in the case of Lenski et al last August, it has provided incontrovertible and replayable PROOF that accumulations in occasional but useful DNATEs (DNA Transcription Errors) lead inexoribly to "speciation". Hence Evolution Occureth! Agreed, Mystic? If so, that's one chunk in the foundation down, and let's get on with chipping away at the rest. Because ignorance begets ignorance. And I'd rather not associate openly with it, on purpose! Nor you, by the sounds of things.

But (do I really have'ta say it in front of the whole class Dr. Mystic? Oh well, OK if you insist...):

Evolution has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ORIGINS OF LIFE.

Species yes. Life itself? NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO!

(Teacher's note to class: Next time some "yutz" tries that one again as a silly deflection, they will have to go to Principal Mystic's Office)

Sorry, kd and NIKK. So sorry. I'm assuming that even Mystic will back me up on this one.

Last edited by rifleman; 02-17-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 02-17-2009, 11:51 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
All I'm asking for is a specific example to a particular proof. Not a bibliography from the back of a biology book.

Give me something, in your own words, or a specific link to a website detailing a specific example of abiogenesis, or species-to-species evolution, please.

Yes--this is originally about abiogenesis. But it's been expanded to include evolution.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
All I'm asking for is a specific example to a particular proof. Not a bibliography from the back of a biology book.

Give me something, in your own words, or a specific link to a website detailing a specific example of abiogenesis, or species-to-species evolution, please.

Yes--this is originally about abiogenesis. But it's been expanded to include evolution.
1) That's not a bibliography from the back of a biology book. Those are specific articles, books, citations, et cetera dealing directly with the subject you pooh-pooh'd me on.

2) If I put it into "my own words" it would be hearsay and you'd then demand references. So, I cut to the chase and gave you solid scientific references. Either read them, or stop saying they don't exist.

3) Anyone can throw up a webpage and post whatever they like on it. Again we come back to the "hearsay" thing, and the need for referencing the original material.

So, there's your evidence. And a plethora of it there is, too.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM

So what you're saying is that you really don't know, but are willing to just take other people's words for it?

Sorry...I don't feel all that motivated, nor do I have the time to go look up a bunch of books/articles (nor do I even know where to find them).

Old 02-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you really don't know, but are willing to just take other people's words for it?

Quote:
Sorry...I don't feel all that motivated, nor do I have the time to go look up a bunch of books/articles (nor do I even know where to find them).
Pretty much how I already called it. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post

Pretty much how I already called it. Ignorance is bliss.

Back atcha...

Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Back atcha...
I'm not the one with my head in the sand.
I'm not the one refusing to read the solid evidence that was requested.
I'm not the one ignoring scientific facts in favor of wholly unsubstantiated myth.
I'm not the one refusing to learn new things.
I'm not the one afraid of being proven wrong.
I'm not the one afraid to change my mind when shown the truth.

You do not want to learn. You've shown us that time and time again. When I gave you my "own words" about radiolarians fossilized in the act of speciation, you then said you wanted solid evidence.

I gave you multiple scientific papers, articles, et cetera on the subject -- the original unadulterated research -- and then you turn around and ask me for my "own words" on the subject. Well, gee...that's where we started out, isn't it? You're just going in a circle, refusing to digest or acknowledge what has been neatly placed before you.

I've given you my own words as YOU requested, and I've given you the research backing it, as YOU requested. If anything here is lacking, it's you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality