U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM
 
140 posts, read 178,020 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Since it is the most feared among the religious, I do want to ask a question:

What kind of fire are we talking about? Fire is an oxidation process: chemical reactions involving earth atmosphere oxygen and some fuels. Where are we talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:30 PM
 
Location: God's Country
21,446 posts, read 29,660,334 times
Reputation: 30005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Since it is the most feared among the religious, I do want to ask a question:

What kind of fire are we talking about? Fire is an oxidation process: chemical reactions involving earth atmosphere oxygen and some fuels. Where are we talking about?

hell may be feared with some religions, but I am a Christian and have no fear about hell, now non believes should be afraid with GOOD reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,870,296 times
Reputation: 10460
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Since it is the most feared among the religious, I do want to ask a question:

What kind of fire are we talking about? Fire is an oxidation process: chemical reactions involving earth atmosphere oxygen and some fuels. Where are we talking about?
Assuming you believe it to exist, you're talking about Hell, not Science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,792,477 times
Reputation: 47479
the one you described is over pretty quick, this biblical one just goes on and on.
like torture slow and almost permanent.
i would not worry too much about the mechanics no more than i would want to know exactly what happens to my chest in a 90 mph headon in a motorcycle accident, i would worry much more about how to avoid it. many are not doing that--- they got that kawasaki flat out and headed for a brick wall grinning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
 
995 posts, read 1,179,651 times
Reputation: 117
And the angels would ask Hell 'are you full'? and Hell would answer 'Are there more?" God preserve us from the torment of Hellfire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 PM
 
140 posts, read 178,020 times
Reputation: 38
No, I am not a believer. But for those who do believe, that is a major abuse to them. I am challenging their brains to think about this coercive lie.

When you are talking about fire, pain, ... those are natural world's physical stuff. Shouldn't everything religious stays strictly in the "supernatural" world and never comes out intimidates the faithfuls with stupid lies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
 
995 posts, read 1,179,651 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
No, I am not a believer. But for those who do believe, that is a major abuse to them. I am challenging their brains to think about this coercive lie.
When you are talking about fire, pain, ... those are natural world's physical stuff. Shouldn't everything religious stays strictly in the "supernatural" world and never comes out intimidates the faithfuls with stupid lies?
There is hardly any point in convincing one who does not believe. Death is real. Resurrection is real. Judgement Day is real. Heaven is real and so is Hell. God is real. Wind is real but can you see it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 PM
 
4,512 posts, read 6,604,500 times
Reputation: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the one you described is over pretty quick, this biblical one just goes on and on.
like torture slow and almost permanent.
i would not worry too much about the mechanics no more than i would want to know exactly what happens to my chest in a 90 mph headon in a motorcycle accident, i would worry much more about how to avoid it. many are not doing that--- they got that kawasaki flat out and headed for a brick wall grinning.
avoid. precisely. like hell. as it came to invade, occupy, possess me, unidentified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
 
Location: planet octupulous is nearing earths atmosphere
13,624 posts, read 10,768,077 times
Reputation: 19957
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
There is hardly any point in convincing one who does not believe. Death is real. Resurrection is real. Judgement Day is real. Heaven is real and so is Hell. God is real. Wind is real but can you see it?
yaa but you can feel the wind ...and everything dies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:11 PM
 
4,669 posts, read 3,932,620 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
Since it is the most feared among the religious, I do want to ask a question:

What kind of fire are we talking about? Fire is an oxidation process: chemical reactions involving earth atmosphere oxygen and some fuels. Where are we talking about?
It's presented as Gehenna was known by the Jews in Jerusalem...basically a fire pit where the fire never goes out and the worms always have food to eat. It was basically a trash pile that was continuously burning.

I don't know that anyone has a definitive meaning of it--but only that it will not be pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top