Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 PM

54 posts, read 112,504 times

Advertisements

I just took out my Bible, and in revelation the end chapter it says, That if any man should add onto these things(the bible) God shall add unto him the plaques that are written in this book.
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book
of his prophesy, God shall take away his part out of the book
of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book. rev:22 18, 19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 12:08 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly750 View Post
I just took out my Bible, and in revelation the end chapter it says, That if any man should add onto these things(the bible) God shall add unto him the plaques that are written in this bok.
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book
of his prophesy, God shall take away his part out of the book
of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book. rev:22 18, 19
Well I guess hundreds of people have been added to the "plaques", then...What ever that is???

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
[quote=shawn_2828;8429692]LOL, you haven't provided any of your research.

Is this your research?

providing a site, where is your research?

Or is this it?

To begin with Moses probably was not involved it writing any part of the bible. The five books of Pentateuch are ascribed to Moses. But by the eighteenth century, many European scholars noticed problems with that assumption. Not only does Deuteronomy end with an account of Moses' death, but the entire Pentateuch shows anomalies of style that are hard to explain if only one author is involved. By the nineteenth century, most scholars agreed that the Pentateuch consisted of four sources woven together. They were combined together to form our Pentateuch sometime in the sixth century BCE. In my opinion the bible was cobbled together by many different people who ascribed the writings arbitrarily to who ever they decided to.quote

to begin with moses probably was not involved!!! means you don't know what moses did back in the eons days.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM

54 posts, read 112,504 times
not none of us though. so if we read something God intended not to be, in someway, he will give you The wisdom not to beleieve it. go alone, Talk to God, Just as you would your buddy, honestly. Just believe he sent his son Jesus to die, for our sins, ask for forgiveness of your sins, and I always say help me to be a better person, and i SWEAR, MY LIFE IS ALL COMING TOGETHER, PRAYING WORKS..JUST GO ALONE, THATS HOW GOD WANTS IT HOPE NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR YOU!!!!!

Last edited by philly750; 04-20-2009 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: STUPID

Old 04-20-2009, 12:25 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief! I would have thought that you would know that the earliest scriptures date back about 3,300 years, not 6,000...
Whoa!!!

I type-oed.

The earth is aproximately 6000 years old, Adam is the first human.

The bible began with the compilation of Genesis and the writing of exodus, lev. numb. and Duet. by Moses/Joshua.

The text for the compilation of Gen. probably originates from God/Adam with each successive generation adding its own history. The were held by Shem(Melchizadek) and a copy given to Abraham. Jacob took a copy when he went down into egypt and Joseph put a copy in the Egyptian libraries. Moses who was son of Pharoh took a copy with him when he exodused with the Isrealites. So, the text is of the history of man as long as man was on the earth. So to say it began being written 6000 years ago might seem more appropriate.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Whoa!!!

I type-oed.

The earth is aproximately 6000 years old, Adam is the first human.

The bible began with the compilation of Genesis and the writing of exodus, lev. numb. and Duet. by Moses/Joshua.

The text for the compilation of Gen. probably originates from God/Adam with each successive generation adding its own history. The were held by Shem(Melchizadek) and a copy given to Abraham. Jacob took a copy when he went down into egypt and Joseph put a copy in the Egyptian libraries. Moses who was son of Pharoh took a copy with him when he exodused with the Isrealites. So, the text is of the history of man as long as man was on the earth. So to say it began being written 6000 years ago might seem more appropriate.
The Earth is not 6000 years old

Do you seriously believe this? Or are you joking? Have you ever taken science classes in school before? Or read science books?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I ask again how do you research? Everyone I know reads what scholars, scientists, theologians and other knowledgeable people have discovered on whatever topic they are interested in...Nowadays almost everything is available online. Please explain your method of research, if not this method. You say you have college experience. How did you manage to research what was needed if not from books etc?

I think you simply do not want to know or read anything that conflicts with your blind faith.
Actually when it comes down to God, my research was a little different.

I'm not excluding what you have read, but I can also provide millions of sites, but would that be my research, or would that be me just agreeing with what they wrote.

Yes, I do have college experience and my research was based on going out and collecting data and testing what I found.

It's easy to just say that I believe in the bible and leave it at that. But me on the other hand actually didn't think it was crazy to hold God to what He said in the bible. The way that I think was God if you are willing to come to me in such away, then why not put what God said to the test.

Yes, I pray, but is that my research, NO, my research is you must know if we are talking about God or prayer comes down to me seeing what I found in the bible and my the information that I got from my research, and prove it to be true or not.

Quote:
I think you simply do not want to know or read anything that conflicts with your blind faith
I read things like this all the time, but when it comes down to me asking give your proof, research, or what ever the person says that they have, then it is, well prove me wrong.

But my thing is, if you come and say that you have all of this reseach and proof, then provide it, and then we can debate about it. But if you don't provide what you say is research, then what is there to debate.

Anyway, like I said before my experience is alot different than your when it comes down to God.

I found out about God before I even knew what the bible was. He came to me, and I simply went to Him. Then as I read the bible, then I started doing my own research, and methods to see if God was who He said that He was, and if He would do what He said that He could do.

So, what is the meaning of research- a careful study to discover correct information or incorrect information. Systematic investigation to establish facts.

You have to have a method to your research depending on what type of information you are looking for. Some even put together a hypothesis, which I have done in the past.

When I do research I go out and collect data, well how do you collect data, research I know, research the new and then test what I found out, research what was given and then test it, research is so board, you really can't limit the possibility.

I even researched prayer. WEll, how do you research prayer, simple if you ask me. Since God came to me, then I simply went to Him and began to ask for things or asking HIm to do certain things in my life.

I researched the communication of prayer, if God would respond, if God would provide what I asked, if God would even answer at it, and then take the data from that and put together what you found.

I had my hypothesis, I went to the person that I was researching, then I collected my data and then put it to the test.

That's what research is to me, I don't just read and then believe, I actually put those things to the test.

I went to God and God what I needed. I didn't go blinded, I went with an open mind, is God real or not, will He speak to me or not, will God do what He said or not, and then I just collect my information from that.

Also when you do research you are evaluating, collecting, studying, limiting certain outside factors so it want mess up you data, then you allow outside factors to see if you get the same or different information.

YOu then build a data collection plan, which is a step by step process in collecting what you are researching.

So, that to me is research. This is only the beginning of research and it is so much more, it is more than just posting a site and using other people's words.

So, I found what I was looking for.

Oh, yea you have to also plan how you are going to collect your data, field journals, data collection forum, naturetracker, inventory, and many more.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 04-20-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Oh, yea you have to also plan how you are going to collect your data, field journals, data collection forum, naturetracker, i

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I have a question and I do not mean it to be disrespectful, it is merely a question to obtain some knowledge. My question is. Who first decided that this sacred book, that the Christians call the Bible, was the divine word of your God and that it was written by your God and that every word in it was true? I would be interested as to how all of this got started, what's the history behind this?
Good question, ptsum. One I cannot answer.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The Earth is not 6000 years old

Do you seriously believe this? Or are you joking? Have you ever taken science classes in school before? Or read science books?
I believe the earth was created about 6000 years ago, but I do not believe it is 6000 years old. If God made Adam a full grown man, He could make the earth as old as He wanted as well.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
"Yes, I do have college experience and my research was based on going out and collecting data and testing what I found"....

I'm guessing that History class would have been a problem for you huh? How do you test that? Do you have a time machine? The link I posted was about the history of the bible, and since I do not have my own personal time machine it was the best I could do..... How about science....Do your own tests? I'm guessing that you must be well traveled too if you ever took geography in school. Did you do your own research for your sex education class? I would be interested to know how that went for you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality