Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Yes, but creationism and evolution are not equal. If creationism should be taught, so should every other religions idea of creation. So should the idea that a giant hamster created everything.

The only place that creationism should be taught is in a Religion class, along with other religious creation myths.

In the marketplace of ideas, NOT all ideas are equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Problem is that one (evolution) is based on scientific methodology and the other (creationism) is based on one religious sect's beliefs.

Do you support teaching all the creation myths of Native Americans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc....? You can't simply choose one religion and claim they have it right, when clearly there is no evidence to support that assertion.
I don't think any of it should be taught, including the theory of evolution. But yes, if creationism was taught, then the others should be as well.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I don't think any of it should be taught, including the theory of evolution. But yes, if creationism was taught, then the others should be as well.
But one has significant scientific data. We might not yet know the origin of life or humanity, but we certainly have irrefutable evidence of the evolutionary process.

To the larger point - I went to a very diverse private high school. People from all over the world went there, many races and religions. It could have been a catastrophe, but the school embraced its diversity. We had seminars on all the religions - learned about their perspectives.

It wasn't until I was an adult and faced people who'd been raised surrounded by only one religious perspective that I experienced this level of fundamentalism. It's clear to me that Christians push their beliefs too hard, forcing public schools to never mention religion or God. It shouldn't be that way. We should simply discuss all, but not as if one is right as Robin69 suggests.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,967 times
Quote:
But one has significant scientific data. We might not yet know the origin of life or humanity, but we certainly have irrefutable evidence of the evolutionary process.

To the larger point - I went to a very diverse private high school. People from all over the world went there, many races and religions. It could have been a catastrophe, but the school embraced its diversity. We had seminars on all the religions - learned about their perspectives.

It wasn't until I was an adult and faced people who'd been raised surrounded by only one religious perspective that I experienced this level of fundamentalism. It's clear to me that Christians push their beliefs too hard, forcing public schools to never mention religion or God. It shouldn't be that way. We should simply discuss all, but not as if one is right as Robin69 suggests.
But it is still just a theory, right? I agree that if all are discussed, one should not be taught as the right one.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,615 times
Quote:
But it is still just a theory, right? I agree that if all are discussed, one should not be taught as the right one.
There is a VERY large difference between a scientific/empirical theory and a regular theory.

A scientific/empirical theory is based on empirical evidence of observable phenomenon.

Evolution is a scientific/empirical theory.
Me saying a "Hamster created everything in the world as it is" would be considered a theory as well. But NOT a scientific/empirical theory. It is NOT based on empirical evidence.

Do you see the difference?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it seems the American Public Education System has done the majority of our citizens a large injustice.

After leaving any 8th grade Science class, every single person should be well aware of how a 'Theory' is defined by Science as opposed to the every day grammatical usage of it which often implies "hypothesis." The 'Theory' of Anything (Atomic Theory, Sex Theory, etc...) are robust explanations using precise facts to explain the mechanism of such a Theory. In essence, a Theory, the way science uses it, is a much more encompassing directive for the accumulation of accredited facts backed by large amounts of evidence. In the hierarchy of scientific terminology, the word 'Theory' stands pretty tall and mighty. However, it is not yet considered a "Law" (like the Laws of Physics) because the mechanisms and avenues upon which it works are not 100% understood. This does not, however, imply that we don't understand evolution or that we don't know if it happens but merely that we are unclear on certain things - such as gradualism vs. punctuated equilibrium.

Unfortunately, due to the common usage of the word 'theory' (notice the lowercase lettering) in the English language (especially in America); I've noticed that people tend to supplant the more common definition and apply that to the usage of the word "Theory" when they think of things like Evolution.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:58 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,493,823 times
Quote:
Problem is that one (evolution) is based on scientific methodology and the other (creationism) is based on one religious sect's beliefs.

Do you support teaching all the creation myths of Native Americans, Buddhists, Hindus, etc....? You can't simply choose one religion and claim they have it right, when clearly there is no evidence to support that assertion.
The THEORY of evolution is not based on scientific methodology, Bluefly. The fundamental and most basic principle of true science is OBSERVATION. That principle points to intelligent design and not to the randomness and chance of evolution!

Preterist

Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
The THEORY of evolution is not based on scientific methodology, Bluefly. The fundamental and most basic principle of true science is OBSERVATION. That principle points to intelligent design and not to the randomness and chance of evolution!

Preterist
If you can prove it, you will be a serious candidate for the Nobel prize!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:21 PM

1,897 posts, read 3,493,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
If you can prove it, you will be a serious candidate for the Nobel prize!
Go ahead, nominate me! What do you see around you, calmdude? The randomness of evolution or the order of design? Let's be honest!

Preterist

Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,002 times
Quote:
Go ahead, nominate me! What do you see around you, calmdude? The randomness of evolution or the order of design? Let's be honest!

Preterist
The theory of evolution is based on evidence - no question about it -an overwhelming percentages of christian scientists have no problems with that. Only ones with a problem are a few christians - that too probably more in the US than in say Canada or Europe. Look at my post 115 of this thread - I do not see a conflict between Chrisitanity and evolution.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:

Preterist
I'm not sure you understand what a theory is in science. It's an agreed upon conclusion drawn from ample and diverse peer-reviewed research.

There is absolutely no debate about the process of evolution happening. There is ample factual evidence to support the claim that the evolutionary process happens. We have witnessed increments of it happening in many species.

Where there are lingering questions is in origins, but not in the process.

Your other point - that things are just too perfect and beautiful to not be intelligently designed - has no scientific merit. It's conjecture.

But wouldn't it be even more impressive if the evolutionary process could create all of this? Now that would be a pretty impressive God. Obviously (to me at least), there are many forces beyond evolution at work in our world (forces we would call spiritual), but they do not supplant the OBSERVABLE evidence of evolution just as the observable evidence of evolution does not supplant the possibility that some sentient force acts as a "designer" of sorts.

They are not mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality