Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,399,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
public school is a government entity, separation of church and state. If you want your kids to hear about creationism then I feel the kids should be sent to a religious affiliated school. Its not like I can go into a church and demand they discuss evolution.
Well the evolution which originated out of religious Greek Mythology should be separated from the state based on what you said. I agree with not having any mythology taught or religious ideas. Just teach science and leave all the rediculous origin debate stuff out of it. Trust me, it can be done.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Have you looked at other religion's creation accounts to Christianity's. Not even close. Missed it byyyyy thaaat much
"Missed it byyyyy thaaat much" according to what metric? Science? If this is what you are using to judge the other religions claims as less than true, why don't we just stick with science then?

I am interested in your specific objective reasoning as to why Christianity's creation accounts are more valid than other religions. Essentially, I am asking you to back up your subjective assertions with examples that are not purely of personal opinion.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
I'm a taxpayer also, can I have Native American creation stories taught in public schools also? Here is but a small sample of the Native American creation stories.
Native Lore: MicMac Creation Story,

Native Lore: The Origin of Earth,

Native Lore: Apache Creation Story,

Native Lore: How the Old Man Made People

,NativeLore: In the Beginning

Native Lore: Califorina Creation Lore

Native American Indian Lore: Old Man at the Beginning

I figure if we're going to teach one. Let's teach all of them.

Last edited by ptsum; 05-05-2009 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,837,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Do you support teaching other religions theories on how we got to Earth as well?
No because other religions are just theories while Christianity is fact.

Quote:
Or no? Why or why not? If not, what makes your theory of Creationism more valid than other religions?
Because the Christian view of creationism lines up with scientific evidence.

Quote:
In my mind, if they begin to teach Creationism of Christianity, they should also teach all other religions theories too. All religions are equal. If one gets the pass, all the others should as well.
This is your opinion, but all religions are not equal, Christianity is superior to all because we have Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, and plenty of scientific evidence for our beliefs.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
"Separation of church and State" is a farce. Twisted by the ACLU. IS NOT IN THE CONSTITUTION. Theory of evolution is neither practical nor observable and shouldn't be taught.
Fundamentalists, no disrespect, however..
United States Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendment #1
Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
public school is a government entity, separation of church and state. If you want your kids to hear about creationism then I feel the kids should be sent to a religious affiliated school. Its not like I can go into a church and demand they discuss evolution.
Seperation of Church and state is a farce and the majority of American schools were started by Christianity. Evolution is merely an unfounded theory while creationism has much more scientific evidence.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
Seperation of Church and state is a farce and the majority of American schools were started by Christianity. Evolution is merely an unfounded theory while creationism has much more scientific evidence.
Quote.Of.The.Year!

Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
Ohhh... A lot of vastly different positions here! The one above though, preaches the less tolerant viewpoint, IMHO. And is, as noted, way off the OP's point.

Actually, I've been quite convinced that "the accumulation of different genetic material over long periods of time, resulting in different abilities (appearances, functions, newly inherited traits, etc.) is quite observable".

so it can easily be taught in school as a validatable and observable scientific "theory" (that being different from the colloquial layman's idea of a theory as simply a hunch. A scientific theory is more like a well-established theorom or set of proven facts. It holds water quite well!)

What has shifted in the face of such evidence is the definition that Creationists will now accept. They'd like to change what "species" means so that they can look at an evolved organism and say "So what? That's not evolution", when,all along, it is.

so they do not want it taught in schools. Too likely to cause embarrassing questions at home perhaps?

The Constitution forbids the establishment of any State (i.e.: government) religion, therefore, Federal- or individual State-managed religious affiliations will not stand up to such a legal test. In other words, religion must absolutely stay out of the classroom, and certainly the science classroom, for Creation surely fails all required scientific tests, by the very definitions of science.

Why not just teach your chosen version of reality in your own church, and let the kids make their own minds up? They may well chose Christianity but based on spirutual need rather than a frank assessment of objective reality.

Are we afraid they'll see a more plausible reality in high school science class?
Evolution has been proven, for all intents and purposes, from a strictly scientific perspective. It's only on these sites that people continue to argue, some vehemently and with insult ("It's actually kind of a rediculous thread. It's a no brainer.").

In fact, the real world has already moved on.
If it was proven then it would not still be a theory it would be called fact. The very same evidence for evolution can equally explain creationism according to the Biblical account.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Fundamentalists, no disrespect, however..
United States Constitution, Bill of Rights, Amendment #1
Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Dont forget about those two.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
If it was proven then it would not still be a theory it would be called fact. The very same evidence for evolution can equally explain creationism according to the Biblical account.
That's right! And until Sex Theory is proven it will still only be just that, a Theory. The very same evidence for Sex Theory can equally be explained by Stork Delivery according to some folklorists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality