Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It is stated that one railroad stock car can carry about 240 sheep. The Ark of Noah, based on estimates would equal an area of about 569 railroad stock cars. Of course here again, all of this is but speculation. And depending on how many inches long a cubit really was, the Ark may of been even bigger. Consider link below.
Was Noah's Ark BIG ENOUGH to hold ALL the animals?
And if they remain in the rail car for longer than a day or so, it will be carrying 240 sheep carcasses. There are strict limits how long live stock can be in rail cars or tractor trailers for a reason, because they cannot survive for extended periods of time.

There are also structural limits of building boats/barges from wood. Without a very strong keel it would break apart in even gentle swells. Don't believe that Noah had the capability to fell and move a 400 foot tall tree to use as the keel even if one existed, in fact pretty damn sure he couldn't.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
And despite all of your "evidence" no one has ever been able to produce an artifact to support their claim.

That you fail to question this shows the depth of your illusion.

Predos, you couldn't be more wrong. Now, will you continue to ignore this "evidence"?

A team of scientist has discovered the remains of Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat in Turky. In the summer of 2007 the fourth expedition on Mt. Ararat yielded results. Inside a cave, on the mountian they discovered a wooden structure measuring 12.5 yards in width, and 2.8 yards in height. These findings are a significant breakthrough in the search for the remains of the Ark, and are backed up by filmed documentation as material evidence.

Samples from a (large wood structure) found on top of the Mountain in 2006 by Mr. Ahmet Ertugrul, who is a Turkish explorer, were sent back to Hong Kong to undergo scientific analysis. Petrographic examinations conducted by the Applied Geoscience Center of the Department of Earth Sciences at Hong Kong University stated. The samples come from a petrified wooden structure. Consider the link below.

Bridges For Peace - Historic Discovery: Remnants of Noah’s Ark Found (http://www.bridgesforpeace.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4438 - broken link)

Old 10-18-2009, 10:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:
Predos, you couldn't be more wrong. Now, will you continue to ignore this "evidence"?

A team of scientist has discovered the remains of Noah's Ark on Mount Ararat in Turky. In the summer of 2007 the fourth expedition on Mt. Ararat yielded results. Inside a cave, on the mountian they discovered a wooden structure measuring 12.5 yards in width, and 2.8 yards in height. These findings are a significant breakthrough in the search for the remains of the Ark, and are backed up by filmed documentation as material evidence.

Samples from a (large wood structure) found on top of the Mountain in 2006 by Mr. Ahmet Ertugrul, who is a Turkish explorer, were sent back to Hong Kong to undergo scientific analysis. Petrographic examinations conducted by the Applied Geoscience Center of the Department of Earth Sciences at Hong Kong University stated. The samples come from a petrified wooden structure. Consider the link below.

Bridges For Peace - Historic Discovery: Remnants of Noah’s Ark Found (http://www.bridgesforpeace.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4438 - broken link)
Err, how does wood petrify in a cave? Petrification to my knowledge requires water and sediment to make that happen.
Petrified wood (from the Greek root "petro" meaning "rock" or "stone", literally "wood turned into stone") is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals (most often a silicate, such as quartz), while retaining the original structure of the wood.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And if they remain in the rail car for longer than a day or so, it will be carrying 240 sheep carcasses. There are strict limits how long live stock can be in rail cars or tractor trailers for a reason, because they cannot survive for extended periods of time.

There are also structural limits of building boats/barges from wood. Without a very strong keel it would break apart in even gentle swells. Don't believe that Noah had the capability to fell and move a 400 foot tall tree to use as the keel even if one existed, in fact pretty damn sure he couldn't.
Well, you better tell that to the scientists who are now recovering the remains of Noahs Ark on Mt. Ararat. LOL

Old 10-18-2009, 10:26 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
"In 2007, a joint Turkish-Hong Kong expedition claimed to find an unusual cave with fossilized wooden walls on Mount Ararat, well above the vegetation line. This 2007 expedition marked the first time in history that an alleged material sample of Noah's Ark was retrieved for lab analysis; the sample was determined by the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Hong Kong to be petrified wood, although the origin of the material remains uncertain." (Wiki)

I've seen it. It is a chunk of what looks like wood. Yellowinsh in colour. I'm not sure what 'petrified' is supposed to mean. petrification - the fossilization of wood - wouldn't have taken place. One would expect a piece of preserved (by freezing temperatures) organic wood.

If it is fossil wood then we are looking at something geological, not nautical. Here, again, it's interesting but it's far too early to say where it came from. however, I'll ty to find out more what it is.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Molluscs on the Mountain..... Rigggghhhtttt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Would you care to explain the sea shells on Mount Everest?
S ooo... your spectacular lack of bioscience education allows you to imagine that a sea mollusc (a clam, a mussel, or a snail), forced to survive in a tempestuous and grossly modified-salinity water environment that was rising at about 1 foot every hour, happily and instantly took hold on the barren, cold sides of Everest (they certainly didn't swim up there; even their "spat" couldn't have done that, and found a secure attachment point..) and established themselves for us to find later. BTW, clams and seashells found on Everest weren't existant clams living at the 23k elevation level, but rather fossils or remains embedded into sandstone from their preevious location when the rocks of Everest once existed at the bottom of an ancient ocean. You know this.

What's your colorful alternate explanation? Have you ever heard of upthrust geological formations? Of "massifs"? Like the Himalayas? Everest?

Near my home there is an unusual set of mountains (The Stewart Range)...

http://www.fish.washington.edu/peopl...s/image040.jpg

...(the unusual and out-of-place higher mountains in the background) which represents an entire ancient South Pacific Island that tectonically glided over to the ancient NW continental plate and collided there. It was then tilted up, and is now in that position en-route to wherever it's going to go eventually.

BTW, there's lots of fossilized ancient (now extinct) mollusca up there. They never lived up in this area. Hmmm... odd, huh?

Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Campbell34 wrote:
Quote:
Well, you better tell that to the scientists who are now recovering the remains of Noahs Ark on Mt. Ararat. LOL
I see you haven't responded to my question regarding your claim that artifacts from Noah's ark were sent to the Smithsonian. Could you back up that claim with some information from the Smithsonian itself as opposed to some crackpot website? After the hundreds of posts we've had about Noah's ark on this forum I would have thought hard evidence at the Smithsonian would have been the first thing you'd mention.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

I have to agree. Even without having all the prehistoric species on board and setting aside that problem that two is a horribly thin breeding group (though I gather that the present Kakapo population derives from one female) keeping all these feral animals cooped up in an airless and generally lightless Ark for ..I recall it was for six or eight months from my previous discussion, including the time needed for the waters to recede, would be very bad for the animals. I think you'd lose a lot of them.

I had to look around about animal care and it was pretty clear that half a year of Ark conditions would cause serious illness amongst a lot of these species.

That's with a millpond -calm flood. When you have a mighty catclysm with mountains popping up and Pangea splitting up, you can sign off three out of five boxcar -fulls of animals.

Then you have to get them out without the predators eating the prey and getting them down to the muddy expanse below where there isn't going to be decent grazing for a year, even if the carnivores left any grazing animals.

No, I have to give you credit for trying, Campbell, but you must surely see that this Ark story doesn't work.

It's true also that the sheer size of the supposed Ark is a problem for any wood - built ship. There was nothing built approaching that size until the 19th century and even then they has to be steel - framed. There was some experiment done by Korean naval officers and it is claimed that the Ark - design is stable. Probably - in a test tank with a nice model made from strips of balsa-wood. Try it loaded with Animals in a 600 ft long construction of logs held together with bronze pins and bitumen and see how long it stays in one piece.

And, again, that's without any kind of storm or Tsunami caused by mountains rising out of the sea in 100 million years' worth of geology compressed into a month.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-18-2009 at 10:55 AM..

Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

No doubt just another in a long series of hoaxes. I found no reference to this "discovery" at Hong Kong university, or anywhere else.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Err, how does wood petrify in a cave? Petrification to my knowledge requires water and sediment to make that happen.
Petrified wood (from the Greek root "petro" meaning "rock" or "stone", literally "wood turned into stone") is a type of fossil: it consists of fossil wood where all the organic materials have been replaced with minerals (most often a silicate, such as quartz), while retaining the original structure of the wood.

Don't you recall what Ed Davis stated from so many years ago? He told us, that back in 1943 the people from the village took him to a cave where they kept the Artifacts that had fallen from the Ark after it broke in two. This story only helps confirm the Ed Davis account. This is most likely the same cave Ed Davis was in back in 1943. And it appears, this cave still had one of the larger petrified artifacts still in it.

Ed Davis stated. "Abas says they have a cave filled with artifacts that came from the ark. They find them strewn in a canyon below the ark, collect them to keep from outsiders who, they think, would profane them. It's all sacred to them. That night, they show me the artifacts. Oil lamps, clay vats, old style tools, things like that. I see a cage-like door, maybe thirty by forty inches, made of woven branches. It's hard as stone, looks petrified. It has a hand-carved lock or latch on it. I could even see the wood grain."

Ed Davis account link below.
Ed Davis Visits Noah's Ark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality