Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 08:55 PM

981 posts, read 806,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Well if you are near me, I would be happy to bless the oil for you and make it holy. First batch - no charge.
Hmmm

I need to know your credentials first. What qualifies you to partake in the ceremonious creation of the holy popcorn oil?

(just tryin to make sure you're legit)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:56 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Encouraging someone to study the Bible for themselves to find the truth is not being judgemental. Nor is it judgemental to point out the Bible condemns homosexuality. It is there black on white. I am merely telling what the Bible says, since there is so many misconceptions here. If you were a murderer, and I told you that according to the Bible murder is sin, would I be judgemental? No, I would merely be telling you what the Bible says about the matter.

And no, divorcees do not automatically end up in hell. Even murderers do not automatically go there, nor homosexuals. Once you come to Christ, it is all washed away. But if yo choose not to accept Christ as your saviour, then you will end up there.

I would encourage you too to study the verses I posted on my previous post and explain to me how I have misunderstood them.
I studied far more than your verses when I attended one of the top seminaries in North America. The most important thing I did learn though was to laugh off the rantings of untrained parrots who can only spout scripture without understanding the context in which it is set and what that mean today.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
There's also no way to misinterpret the message about those who wear clothes of two fabrics or sow two crops in the same field!

Sorry, you're convincing no one of your opinion who doesn't already hold it.
I quoted from the bible, so it's really not my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Hmmm

I need to know your credentials first. What qualifies you to partake in the ceremonious creation of the holy popcorn oil?

(just tryin to make sure you're legit)
M. Divinity degree from a top seminary (ATS accredited of course) and ordained by a protestant denomination.

I have been told when I consecrate communion I make fantastic Jesus bread and Jesus juice.

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
That's basically what Xtianity hinges on. Subjective interpretation.
I always find it amusing when Bible literalists claim they don't do this. The Catholics believe that "this is my body" and "this is my blood" are to be read literally, yet the evangelicals see it as symbolism. So right there is proof of subjective interpretation.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Or you could just drink three or four beers, then go back in time to the first beer. Lather, rinse, repeat!
Now that is a plan I could live with. It has to be good beer though, none of the miller or budweiser crap.

Fat Tire all the way

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
You realize in the ancient Hebrew and Greek texts the word used did not refer to anything close to homosexual. You also realize that the actual word homosexual never came into being until the 1800's. How then did it appear in a book written a couple thousand years ago?
Greek text referred to homosexuality. In ancient times they would have used whatever word is used to decribe homosexuality. Today the word is homosexuality. Or are you trying to say homosexuality itself did not exist until 1800s?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 PM

981 posts, read 806,948 times
Quote:
Nowhere in the Bible does it condone the eating of popped corn, nor the use of satanic electric appliances. You'd have to really twist the Bible to justify eating such a tasty, demonic treat! I don't think eating popcorn glorifies God either. So no dancing and no popcorn for you!
Oh, well.

On with my usual plans tonight to stone a couple of adulterers - I think I'll start at the nearest Xtian church. There's bound to be a TON of them there. I also planned to raid a few barbershops where they're cutting hair at the temple. Yes, it will be a most eventful evening! I'll do God's work tonight, the popped corn be damned.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Encouraging someone to study the Bible for themselves to find the truth is not being judgemental. Nor is it judgemental to point out the Bible condemns homosexuality. It is there black on white. I am merely telling what the Bible says, since there is so many misconceptions here. If you were a murderer, and I told you that according to the Bible murder is sin, would I be judgemental? No, I would merely be telling you what the Bible says about the matter.

And no, divorcees do not automatically end up in hell. Even murderers do not automatically go there, nor homosexuals. Once you come to Christ, it is all washed away. But if yo choose not to accept Christ as your saviour, then you will end up there.

I would encourage you too to study the verses I posted on my previous post and explain to me how I have misunderstood them.
It's quite far from black and white! The Bible is an extremely complicated book, written by many men over the course of many years. Written by men who lacked knowledge we have today. To tell someone to read a few words and come to a conclusion without the history behind those words and the understanding of how those words have been interpreted and re-interpreted over the years is dangerous. It's not a magic book!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I studied far more than your verses when I attended one of the top seminaries in North America. The most important thing I did learn though was to laugh off the rantings of untrained parrots who can only spout scripture without understanding the context in which it is set and what that mean today.
AMEN Rev!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality