Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:38 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Dunno how footloose non-parents are, and I am one aged 65. Everyone needs to make a living, have a secure place to live (if desired, and most of us do desire it).

I know I'm an extreme outlier of sorts, but I simply never wanted to be around children, never mind responsible for them emotionally or financially. I never wanted to rely on a man for life's necessities. I never want anything to do with what I perceived as the life of a parent, especially a mother. Being footloose, well, that's a choice whether or not you have children (although obviously a looser choice could be made without considering children's needs).
LOL. I NEVER "relied on a man for life's necessities". I was the main breadwinner in our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 05:47 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. I NEVER "relied on a man for life's necessities". I was the main breadwinner in our family.
Back in the 1950s/early '60s, I saw how my unskilled mother was stuck at home with kids and my father not responsible when working.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:49 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
These posts are all flawed,everyone has a slight twist that makes any comparison invalid. Especially if comparing kids or no kids. For the most part, it’s all a crap shoot ! The one thing we can not do is turn back the clock, we are or as I say “ I am what I am “ .

Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I would be quite happy to have a wife who makes a lot of money. ( actually now in old age my younger wife is a real breadwinner ! ) .......I think it has a lot to do with our nature, creative types would rather not be saddled with being a dedicated breadwinner. That fits my MO.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Back in the 1950s/early '60s, I saw how my unskilled mother was stuck at home with kids and my father not responsible when working.
My mother was also the main breadwinner, but she became that after us kids were past the elementary school age. I had a very different upbringing that you did, thankfully.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would be quite happy to have a wife who makes a lot of money. ( actually now in old age my younger wife is a real breadwinner ! ) .......I think it has a lot to do with our nature, creative types would rather not be saddled with being a dedicated breadwinner. That fits my MO.
Are you saying that if one is creative, they would rather not be financially successful and responsible?

Really?

Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that if one is creative, they would rather not be financially successful and responsible?

Really?
No , what I say is creative people are more adept at creating things,making the deals real,whatever it takes. If your spouse is a bit more conservative, not willing to take risks when they come our way, then they would be best suited to managing the finances.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I am 85,we had four children and nothing has turned outright,nothing but anguish.
Our son who accomplished his goal of being a policeman was taken from us at age 30 with a brain tumor.Another son is educable retarded now 62 but with the help of the county he has found a life he is happy with.
We have two daughters,one developed schitzophrenia,however you spell it later in life,the youngest daughter age 55 is living near us,we gave up a good life in North FL of 25 years to move to miserable CT because of age.
Ct now scares me because of there severe money problems which they do not have the income to support them selves,treading water.They are looking to tax anything and everything.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I wonder if the discussion has taken a turn into how children have turned out. While I'm sure that has something to do with one's feelings about having had children, I guess I wonder if people are satisfied or less satisfied with having raised them at all- as I see imagine it, spending so much of one's finances, time, emotions and relationship in raising and being with children to adulthood, whether they "turn out" well or not so well.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:24 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
I wonder if the discussion has taken a turn into how children have turned out. While I'm sure that has something to do with one's feelings about having had children, I guess I wonder if people are satisfied or less satisfied with having raised them at all- as I see imagine it, spending so much of one's finances, time, emotions and relationship in raising and being with children to adulthood, whether they "turn out" well or not so well.
I guess that would affect anyone's opinion. Our 3 kids all turned out well in my opinion even though only 1 of the 3 are educated at the level wife and I are although our youngest is back at University again to hopefully finish his BS degree.

Wife is a bit disappointed kids haven't followed our religious traditions but that could change in the future, who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement