Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

Thanks, wisteria. Let us know how the whole thing about selling, packing and moving goes. That is something I am not looking forward to, but I guess it is something that must be done in order to change your life.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-30-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Hello all -- this is a great thread! I'm still trying to get through it, but wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm 58, retired and living at the Jersey shore. This is a big retirement destination for many Phila.-area boomers. Unfortunately, I'm now tired of it after two years. I miss the vibrancy and amenities that come with living near a big city. My circumstances have changed over two years, so things are important to me now that didn't matter when I moved here. For example, good medical care and alternative treatments like acupuncture. Also, although Philly is only two hours away, I have night vision problems so getting back here is a problem. I have plenty of friends and some family here, so that's not the issue. I think I'm also just bored with the small-town feel, plus the depressed economy -- lots of brand-new condos for sale as short sales or foreclosures. The town is stuck in the middle of an urban revitalization project that stalled when the economy died. Kind of depressing

The only place I lived out of PA or NJ was Southern Calif. for two years. My mom has a place on the Gulf coast of FL but I'm not in love with the idea of living in all that humidity.

The ideal place for me, climate-wise, is Southern Calif. No humidity, no bugs, nearly perfect weather, and fabulous scenery. I found a affordable housing in the over-55 Laguna Woods Village, many styles and price points to choose from. High monthly HOA fees, but sometimes it balances out by the lower utilities, less gas used because mostly everything you'd ever need is within the village. Oh yeah, that average age....well, it's like, 78, but I figure I have friends out there so I'm not confined there.

Now i Just have that small matter of selling my condo here....ughhh.

Last edited by Avalon08; 08-30-2008 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-30-2008, 09:03 AM

124 posts, read 361,495 times
Default Women Retiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Kudos to fearless women everywhere.
.... and welcome to our site , paintdog. Take a little while to read through this thread and see how we have progressed .
I am thinking of moving to Charlotte NC and wonder if anyone has considered that area, or living there now and what do they think of it. I understand there are no exclusive areas in Charlotte for retirees but all mixed communities. I would like to rent and do apartment living for a while
in a very nice place in South CLT, Ballantyne area and see if it fits in my plan before buying. Not interested in exclusive senior area yet. Would appreciate suggestions or comments.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:25 PM

found a affordable housing in the over-55 Laguna Woods Village, many styles and price points to choose from

hi Avalon,

Welcome to our retiring site.
It sounds so pretty, the Jersey shore. Is that near Cape May?

When you say affordable could you give us a ballpark figure?

Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM

Hi Nancy -- yes, I'm not far from Cape May! As far as the 'affordable' housing goes, the condos in Laguna Woods range from the 100's and on up, depending on the size of the unit, whether it's been updated, where it's located (view, road noise), etc. For Southern Calif., that price is extremely affordable...compared to everything else out there. That's the only reason I found out about LW -- I was randomly searching realtor.com and kept coming up with these inexpensive condos. I checked into it, and then visited when I was out there in July. There are financial requirements that I'm not sure I could meet, but rentals are also available. They're not cheap, but are less than I'm paying on mortgage/taxes/condo fees, etc.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:59 PM

That is affordable. Where exactly are these condos?

Old 08-30-2008, 09:01 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That is affordable. Where exactly are these condos?
Nancy - check into the high HOAs, taxes etc.... It sounds too affordable - might be a catch somewhere (paranoid, who, me????).. Welcome to all the newcomers. I will be looking at CO & NM but NM sounds more and more intriguing. I'd like to end up where I know there will be other single women, but then I guess considering 51% of women are single - they are out there. Sell that condo yet, Nancy? I'm busy doing all the outside "stuff" that I didn't get done this summer - what happened to our summer????? I had 6 yards of river rock delivered so I'm hauling rock - I keep forgetting I'm not 20 anymore. Glad this thread has been rejuvenated!!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:17 PM

Whewww, I'm FINALLY done reading the entire thread! I've spent my whole Sat. night on it (don't I have an exciting life!?). I am very glad to hear I am not the only "restless" type out there. For me, grass is always greener. I was interested in reading all the comments about New Mexico, which I didn't know much about and really never thought of as a retirement destination. (Oh, and Geraint Smith's photos are breathtaking!) I think for me, though, I need to be somewhat close to an ocean....I just find it so peaceful. As I mentioned, I also want to be near, but not in, a large city.

Anyway, Nancy -- Laguna Woods is in Southern Calif. a few miles inland from Laguna Beach. (Laguna Beach is on the coast, midway between LA and San Diego.) Laguna Woods Village, as I understand it, is the largest over-55 community in the country -- something like 12,000 units. As I mentioned, the HOA fees are high (about $500/mo.) and probably the taxes are too, but I was just surprised to see anything in Southern Calif. in the 100's or even 200's. There is a thread with more info on the Orange County CA board. I'd really have to crunch the numbers before making such a move, but I would love to get back to that SoCal weather. (Although, this summer is Jersey has been fairly spectacular....sunny every weekend and not too much humidity.)

I'm really happy to have found this board!

Old 08-31-2008, 04:29 PM

NM sounds more and more intriguing

MN2CO Check out the Las Cruces board for some really pretty photographs of a small city that seems affordable and appealing.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Nancy - Call me Deb - MN2CO sounds likeva robot The pics are gorgeous - are you referring to Mesilla? or Las Cruces? Mesilla is much smaller of course. Both appear to be affordable - I'll be watching the realestate prices since I'll be here til spring (that's being very optimistic that once my house is on the market, it will sell fast ). I'll polish it up over the winter. Have you looked at Albuquerque? It's much bigger, but sometimes there are pockets in a city that you can make your own small town. I live in a burb just outside of Mpls - an older area that has a small downtown that is quaint and old world looking and EXPENSIVE. Many people seem to have the same idea of a small town feel. Now if MN didn't get such awful weather, I'd be in a prime loc. No mountains, though,

Wisteria - I have heard from friends how tough the Empty Nest Syndrome is. Here's some encouraging news: She'll be back!!!!!!!! This is only temporary. Many mom's now say - "Oh I hope they don't move back home!!!" I hope this gets easier for you. Making future plans for yourself is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement