Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I know that you are familiar with the heat of south Florida. I have to work outdoors all year - not all day but at least part of the day. I am tired of the 7 months of heat, humidity and the possibility of hurricanes..... What is a typical winter day like in your area? I love our winters here, this one was quite cool. It is all relative!! In the winter are the roads icy?
I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the s/Florida summer heat/humidity!! It was debilitating!!! And I'm even considering moving back to central Florida where the summers are probably worse

PNW winters can be harsh. I live in a "valley" and winters do not have as much snow as in higher elevations. Last winter we had one pretty snowfall that lasted about one day What bothers me more is the "black ice" in the mornings; yes, the roads are icy and I never venture out until the sun (if it ever comes out) melts off the ice. If it's raining, then there's no ice. Aside from that, it's a typical winter with mornings around 32-degrees and afternoons warming up to around 50ish. The rainy season is not like s/Florida monsoons..... here it's a steady piddle rain that might last for days or weeks Most people don't even use umbrellas. It's green all winter long.

Starting in May.... is the official "season" when tourists come, weather is very nice, dry (no more rain until October) and depending on previous winters' rainfall..... it could be a summer of potential wildfires. Temp can get into the 90s in summer (maybe a week or two) but it's a dry heat, not the steam-room humidity of s/FL. It seems to me that summer is from June through Sept in my area

Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I think that I mentioned this, but I did read a book called Leisureville & it was about life in The Villages. So what Wisteria said does not surprise me at all. I found that I was very turned off by the crassness that I read about in the book. It just would not appeal to me at all.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-13-2009, 06:56 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I think that I mentioned this, but I did read a book called Leisureville & it was about life in The Villages. So what Wisteria said does not surprise me at all. I found that I was very turned off by the crassness that I read about in the book. It just would not appeal to me at all.
Nanc, I never read the book, but wasn't that referring to "Leisure World" in Mission Viego, CA. That place has been around since I was a little girl, and it's obviously a senior community.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the s/Florida summer heat/humidity!! It was debilitating!!! And I'm even considering moving back to central Florida where the summers are probably worse

PNW winters can be harsh. I live in a "valley" and winters do not have as much snow as in higher elevations. Last winter we had one pretty snowfall that lasted about one day What bothers me more is the "black ice" in the mornings; yes, the roads are icy and I never venture out until the sun (if it ever comes out) melts off the ice. If it's raining, then there's no ice. Aside from that, it's a typical winter with mornings around 32-degrees and afternoons warming up to around 50ish. The rainy season is not like s/Florida monsoons..... here it's a steady piddle rain that might last for days or weeks Most people don't even use umbrellas. It's green all winter long.

Starting in May.... is the official "season" when tourists come, weather is very nice, dry (no more rain until October) and depending on previous winters' rainfall..... it could be a summer of potential wildfires. Temp can get into the 90s in summer (maybe a week or two) but it's a dry heat, not the steam-room humidity of s/FL. It seems to me that summer is from June through Sept in my area
Hi Coney Gal, sorry again I didn't get to meet with you on my trip, and I too, always have trouble finding 'social networks'. I'm not as old as some of you, but I've always been attracted to younger people, well men, and so I'm always caught in between. Lately, I've stopped in to check out some local pubs, and once again I tend to think (hope I don't offend anyone here)
Younger people: more fun, less friendly
Older people: less fun, more friendly
Tends to always put me in between 2 worlds, where I feel like I'm never going to be able to make friends, especially since I only like to go to bars occasionally, and I don't want to make all my friends at bars, of course.
Then again, I'm the youngest one in my RV park, so I'm kinda outta touch there too.
Also, I'm trying to be clear about your situation: sounds you've already made your retirement move when you left the east and moved to Oregon. So, not sure why you'd be considering Florida...?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Talking anomoly.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
sounds you've already made your retirement move when you left the east and moved to Oregon. So, not sure why you'd be considering Florida...?
anomoly........ that's a good question I guess it's the 6-month long winter, cold, sometimes very cold, bleak, no sun for days, rainy, icy, I'm stuck indoors some days, a touch of arthritis in my shoulder...... all make me miss the Florida warmth! I guess I'd welcome the warmth of AZ also or even s/CA but I have many good memories of Florida so perhaps I'm trying to relive some of them ? Dumb of course

Anyway, spring is here and summer is coming and I'm happy

Old 04-13-2009, 08:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Default Lots of Women in The Villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Wow! I just heard some stories from some friends about the Villages -- had no idea about them!! Here is a little excerpt and a video link attached:

Sounds like they're having their '60s fun in their 60s! I guess if they missed the 60s, then now is the time. Glad I went through all that when I was younger!
I read recently that there are 10 women for every man in The Villages. If that is true, no wonder the guys are having so much fun! Another quote I heard is that most older single men are looking for either a "nurse" or a "purse." So beware, ladies!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 PM

121 posts, read 292,456 times
Default Any old "hippies" out there looking to start a commune?

I'm a dog friendly, laid back sort of Hippie type from the 60's. Never did the drug scene, mostly whole foods, meditation, music and love. I believe in self-sufficiency and creating support networks. Being a dog lover, Oregon gets my vote. They may not like us California natives, but I'm not from Orange County! Those early baby boomers from Orange County took their vast quantities of money from their super inflated home prices and went fourth among the nation, leaving malcontent in their wake among the local natives. Locals were priced out of their life long homes because they had no prop 13 (California) to protect them from the inflated home prices in their sacred nook. County tax assessors went crazy! After the dust settled from the first round of baby boomers, Californians weren't welcomed anywhere. The baby boomers saw nirvana and loved it to death. They tried to change it to suit their whims. This made the locals very unhappy. Now round two baby boomers are searching for nirvana. We want low taxes, low crime, good weather, dog friendly, beautiful scenery, local culture, medical facilities, place to grow a garden, not in the flood plain, no tornados, volcanoes, not too much snow, close proximity to a Costco, sense of community and the list goes on. I know because that's what I'm looking for too. If it doesn't exist already, somewhere, we'll have to make it exist. You ladies game? We can make it happen...There's an Amtrak train called the "Empire Builder", we can do this! This has been a pep cheering ralley promoted by another single female retiring soon. (Hope they give me a Golden Handshake! )
Fairwinds

Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
ConeyIsBabe .. I found the post about the Villages and it was about the recreation bond which is apparently above and beyond the regular fees that residents pay. I'll DM you the link.

Someone asked where "here" is for me - it is S.E. Alaska. Unlike most of the rest of Alaska this area is a rain forest - we are green and wet, very wet.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:54 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
55+ Communitite
One thing that worries me about leaving family to move far away to a 55+ Community like The Villages is what happens if you get very ill, say heart attach or cancer. Is anyone in that community going to want to stop playing golf and having a "college experience" fun time long enough to help you through a bad time? To sit by your sick bed or help with food or trips to the doctor, like family would at home? That's very scary to me. At least here in ATL I have my daughter, who would help and care that my husband or I are ill.

I think we must consider these things as we age.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:15 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Staywarm2 - AARP recently had an article on how many of the 55+ communities are now opening up to allow all ages due to economics. I can't see that happening at the Villages, but, I can see them continue to tack on all kinds of fees and raise existing fees until many will have to sell because it will become unaffordable. They wll be caught in a bad situation.

If you are lucky enough to find the right type of friends, then you would probably have friends that cared enough to help during critical times. Those that are there to make up for party time lost - it's anybody's guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.