Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times

Advertisements

The nice or upside of the housing thing is that it is nearly nationwide. I can take less for my house and maybe sell it easier and then PAY less for another house in the PNW (Idaho I hope), so it's all relative. Ofcourse, I currently have no mortgage so that makes it more feasible for me to haggle with buyers, I guess.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
The nice or upside of the housing thing is that it is nearly nationwide. I can take less for my house and maybe sell it easier and then PAY less for another house in the PNW (Idaho I hope), so it's all relative. Of course, I currently have no mortgage so that makes it more feasible for me to haggle with buyers, I guess.
In theory, yes. And that is what some of the economic gurus are saying - the whole housing market is vastly overinflated and prices need to come down to at least 2000 prices before it all stabilizes again.

What I am seeing is that houses are not moving because of the glut of foreclosed houses on the market at fire sale prices. Meanwhile at my prospective destination, the houses are not listed commensurately low.

I too have no mortgage, but my plans require a zero-sum game - I need to get sufficient $$ from my current house to buy the new one outright. The markets seem to be at a stalemate. Severely damaged foreclosed properties are for sale, no one can get a loan, and everyone is sitting on their properties refusing to take less for them if they can pay the bills. So, little is selling.

But I have a couple of years to go before I had planned the big move anyway, so maybe by then it will look better. On the other hand, our whole economy is so rotted at the core, it could be a very long time before things get moving again. These bailouts seem to have no positive effect at all.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default I don't wanna be a loser $

I just can't get past the thought of having paid $$$$ for my home and selling it for $$$ .

So, I'll stay-put, stocking up on thermal long-johns and madrone for the wood stove

And - we'll all have our own pity party Whine & cheese anyone ? ,,,,,,, I'll just have the whine, cuz I'm lactose intolerant

Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
In theory, yes. And that is what some of the economic gurus are saying - the whole housing market is vastly overinflated and prices need to come down to at least 2000 prices before it all stabilizes again.

What I am seeing is that houses are not moving because of the glut of foreclosed houses on the market at fire sale prices. Meanwhile at my prospective destination, the houses are not listed commensurately low.

I too have no mortgage, but my plans require a zero-sum game - I need to get sufficient $$ from my current house to buy the new one outright. The markets seem to be at a stalemate. Severely damaged foreclosed properties are for sale, no one can get a loan, and everyone is sitting on their properties refusing to take less for them if they can pay the bills. So, little is selling.

But I have a couple of years to go before I had planned the big move anyway, so maybe by then it will look better. On the other hand, our whole economy is so rotted at the core, it could be a very long time before things get moving again. These bailouts seem to have no positive effect at all.

Absolutely true...but some houses are selling, so I guess it depends on each sellers personal situation.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Absolutely true...but some houses are selling, so I guess it depends on each sellers personal situation.
yes, amazingly I had a friend who got laid off 3 weeks ago, listed house for a decent price, and it is GONE in one week! I was REALLY surprised, and hope it works for me next spring, maybe I better get the sign pounded in early to beat the rush! I may also consider carrying a contract on it, as the income would be nice, and I don't need the whole equity to 'downsize'.

Hard money lending is a good business to be in right now (with underpriced REAL ESTATE as security...)

Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Well, just a word to the wise -- if you do manage to sell your house, be careful about rushing out and buying a new one before the deal actually closes. My friend sold her house relatively quickly, but then the buyers backed out. She had already bought a new place, but fortunately was able to back out of that deal when her buyers walked.

As far as paying $$$$ for the house and getting $$$, I didn't have to worry about that because I got no offers. Zilch. But as I mentioned, I'm in a vacation-home market and most buyers aren't going to carry that expense over the winter. So I'm hoping the market picks up in spring, if I even still feel like moving at that point. Who knows. In the meantime, I think I'm going to get a puppy to keep me company over the winter.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
In the meantime, I think I'm going to get a puppy to keep me company over the winter.
Yes puppies are good company. I miss mine who died last spring. I'm trying to resist getting another one until after I retire and get resettled. Will I be able to last that long?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:27 AM

20 posts, read 59,315 times
Hi Ladies!
Firstly, Tesaje, don't wait...there are so many wonderful dogs and cats in shelters right now - your dog would WANT you to have another - why not adopt a pet (or two!) in his honor? Off my soapbox - I'm a sap! In reading the recent posts we all seem to be in the same boat for the time being with our respective houses and this has led me yet again to my idea of a commune, which I know is now called cohousing or intentional community. Anyway, this site had one community in particular that I found interesting and I wonder what ya'll think about this? My thought is if I keep my expenses down I can retire at 62 rather than 66 - at least that is what I'm hoping for! At 62 I could still do some work that fulfills me (working with animals or in a pre-school or somesuch) and live on a smaller paycheck...we shall see! But anyway I'd love to hear your thoughts. Maybe I've been watching too many Golden Girls episodes? In any event here's the link:
Cohousing Directory - Community View | The Cohousing Association of the United States

Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmebrt View Post
Hi Ladies!
Firstly, Tesaje, don't wait...there are so many wonderful dogs and cats in shelters right now - your dog would WANT you to have another - why not adopt a pet (or two!) in his honor?
Well, I'm currently spending my savings on caring for my elderly cat who just developed kidney disease. There are 2 other cats here. I have to travel too much for my job, especially right now to deal with a new dog. And if I am going to move and explore new places to land in after I retire, not having a dog makes that both more affordable and easier. That's the strategic plan, anyway.

I might look into fostering until I make the move after I retire.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Welcome to our friendly group of interesting and delightful women!

I know of some women checking into mobile home communities -- do you have the name of the community in Sedona? It is difficult to get a lot of information on mobile home communities, for some reason.

Wow, Sedona. If you don't mind sharing, what kind of business do you have that you can be so mobile? That is very interesting.

Sedona is a bit small, although much larger than when I lived in Phoenix. I always enjoyed my visits there through the red rocks and in Tlaquepaque. Such a beautiful area -- even though it's touristy.

Thanks for joining us -- I look forward to hearing more about your experiences in other places -- we are all learning so much about various parts of the country from each other.

Hi Wisteria,

Thanks for the friendly welcome. Somehow I just felt like I had to be a part of this group...perhaps at some point I'll start another thread for gypsies at heart. The mobile home community in Sedona is called Sunset Village, and I don't think they have a website . Homes usually sell pretty fast here as it is affordable living in paradise. There is another park just outside town but their lot rents are so high and go up each year so I wouldn't recommend it. I am always looking for new places to go in AZ and have just found this site which might be of help to some:
Arizona Mobile Home Parks - Mobile home parks

I love living in a mobile home however think that someday I will spend a year or two in an RV which is really mobile.

Sedona is touristy but the population is only 13,000 spread out over a huge amount of land so even with the tourists it's not bad. Actually they remind you how lucky you are to live in this beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement