Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,157,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
HOA's after the fact should be another story if the transplant wanted one he should gotten in one when he purchased ,
That's what the we and the other members of the community have told him. And pretty much that he!! will freeze over before anyone who's lived here for any time will agree to a restrictive HOA like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'd have to look it up - but I don't think you can do a HOA "after the fact" in Florida unless all homeowners agree. Robyn

I'm sure that's the case. The homeowners in this community have a loosely-knit "homeowner's association", which only involves membership in group(club) which gives members the right to use a clubhouse and grounds, as well as a boat ramp on the river adjacent to the property. They also sponsor a number of get-together events throughout the year. It's completely optional to belong to this HOA, and I think it's a grand total of $55 a year to belong, after an initial fee join of somewhat more. They have no rules regarding homes or property maintenance or anything along that line.

The NY transplant ( who moved in about a year ago) attends the monthly meetings, and he's proposed tightening up on the HOA as it is every time. He wants to 1) raise the HOA fees to a couple hundred a month, 2) install a gate on the road coming into the area, 3) make HOA membership mandatory for every homeowner in the area, and thinks, it would seem, that he should be the president since the rest of us are all dumb local yokels. Needless to say, he gets varied negative reactions every month, some polite, some not so much. The consensus is that it will be a cold day you-know-where before such a formal HOA is set up in this community. Heck, that is exactly what people don't want here. But he keeps trying. Personally, I hope he'll get tired of all his backwater neighbors and will move somewhere he can have his HOA- there are plenty of deed-restricted communities around he can choose from if that's what he wants.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:16 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'm sure that's the case. The homeowners in this community have a loosely-knit "homeowner's association", which only involves membership in group(club) which gives members the right to use a clubhouse and grounds, as well as a boat ramp on the river adjacent to the property. They also sponsor a number of get-together events throughout the year. It's completely optional to belong to this HOA, and I think it's a grand total of $55 a year to belong, after an initial fee join of somewhat more. They have no rules regarding homes or property maintenance or anything along that line.

The NY transplant ( who moved in about a year ago) attends the monthly meetings, and he's proposed tightening up on the HOA as it is every time. He wants to 1) raise the HOA fees to a couple hundred a month, 2) install a gate on the road coming into the area, 3) make HOA membership mandatory for every homeowner in the area, and thinks, it would seem, that he should be the president since the rest of us are all dumb local yokels. Needless to say, he gets varied negative reactions every month, some polite, some not so much. The consensus is that it will be a cold day you-know-where before such a formal HOA is set up in this community. Heck, that is exactly what people don't want here. But he keeps trying. Personally, I hope he'll get tired of all his backwater neighbors and will move somewhere he can have his HOA- there are plenty of deed-restricted communities around he can choose from if that's what he wants.
I had to laugh when I read your post. That particular NY transplant sounds like the ultimate in arrogance. In addition he sounds hard-headed; a normal person would give up on the idea following the realization that he is a minority of one on the issue.

In fact, personalities like that are the main reason HOA's have such a bad rep!

Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Well - you either have a HOA as outlined in the Florida statutes where you live - or you don't. Can't say without looking at the documents. And - if you live in a HOA community - membership isn't optional. If you live in a HOA - you're a part of it. IOW - I don't have a clue about the place you live in as you've described it. Robyn

Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Well - you either have a HOA as outlined in the Florida statutes where you live - or you don't. Can't say without looking at the documents. And - if you live in a HOA community - membership isn't optional. If you live in a HOA - you're a part of it. IOW - I don't have a clue about the place you live in as you've described it. Robyn
Well, now that the topic has come up, I looked up the information on our "HOA"..... Guess it would help if I paid more attention to the information we get, but apparently in 2009, the group changed its name, it's now the "PRS and PS Social Club", listed as incorporated in the Florida Dept of Corporations. Prior to that, it had been known as the "PR Property Owner's Association". I'd have to ask some of the folks who've been here a long time the reason for the name change, but perhaps it was to describe the function of the organization better.

Nope, it's not an HOA, even if some of the folks around here refer to it that way.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
In my neck of the woods - St. Johns County - there are "deed restricted communities" that aren't HOAs. It all depends on what your documents say. Robyn

Old 05-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
In my neck of the woods - St. Johns County - there are "deed restricted communities" that aren't HOAs. It all depends on what your documents say. Robyn
It seems this association is strictly a social club, there are no deed restrictions ( other than those placed by county-wide ordinance) on the property owners. I'm guessing that confusion about its name was the reason for the name change to "social club" in 2009.

There's such a variety of homes in the area, some new, some old, some derelict ( usually as a result of foreclosures), and a number of empty lots. The houses range from manufactured, to one area in which a developer built a number of large homes which currently sell for ranges from $500,000 up. It's really quite a mixture, so there's no standardization of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement