Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:45 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Sword swallowing?
I think that hurts and causes extra holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 AM

I think I'm about to have another midlife crisis.
I'm going to just buy whatever the heck I want, the heck with it all

Old 06-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I'm going to just buy whatever the heck I want, ,,,
That would be way too short lived for me... when / if it ever happens I hope it is a BLAST. So far so good (no sign of Mid-life CRISIS, yet well PASSED that age on longevity status)

Granted... I have thought what a 'round-the-world' cruise would be like with the correct match ...(And I HATE cruises). but... With the incorrect match, I see another one of those 'mystery - Man Overboard'

followed by 'Life-in-prison'.

I better shape up, and enjoy the deck I have been dealt! Going 'off-the-top-deck' late at night might not be that much fun (in shark infested waters ).

That Italy shipwreck is pretty eery. Dreams to disaster in 3 EZ steps...(and appears to be caused in part to a 'mid-life-crisis' type event. (or several).)

I have watched many go through a true 'Mid-life' crisis. That is certainly childish and ugly. I wonder if they were spoiled as kids, insecure as adults (?), or just had a 'short-circuit'!

Sometimes they seem to have 'Just had enough', then... over the cliff!

Scary

Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 AM

I think it's Just Had Enough. At least in the people I know who went through serious life changes.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Professional mid life crisis.

In my early 40's (1985ish), myself and 3 others (professional and social friends) in the high tech business (all in sales and marketing) realized we were becoming dinosaurs. One incident two of us shared was a 28 year old, newly minted MBA telling several of us how things should be done. Two of us said we have seen the future of this business and it is not us.

Within 3 years, 4 of us were out of the business. Two of us bought small businesses. One bought a quick print type franchise. One stayed in sales but in an entirely different field.

Side story on the MBAer. She had been a 4th grade teacher when she decided to get an MBA. She said she had 3 offers out of graduate school. One from Gillette marketing female shaving products. One from Hanes marketing women's underwear and one from a computer company marketing computer systems. She thought the computer business would be fun and interesting.

Just goes to show it's age (i.e., young) and not necessarily brains that rule. Well, maybe she had some brains. But I prefer to think not.

That's how it is in the publishing houses. Some CEO's niece out of college comes in as a high-level editor and starts telling seasoned authors how to (re)write their manuscripts. One could say she's more "in touch" with the market because of her youth. But I prefer to think not.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM

Is a "crisis" something bad that happens to you, or how you handle it (i.e., a breakdown)?

I've had a number of "crises" throughout life, but so far have not had a breakdown or let myself fall apart in any way. So far.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is a "crisis" something bad that happens to you, or how you handle it (i.e., a breakdown)?

I've had a number of "crises" throughout life, but so far have not had a breakdown or let myself fall apart in any way. So far.
A turning point and how you handle it.
Some people cope by buying or doing something out of character.
Others jump off the deep end and divorce.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
A turning point and how you handle it.
Some people cope by buying or doing something out of character.
Others jump off the deep end and divorce.
Divorcing is not necessarily jumping off the deep end though. That may be the sanest healthiest thing a married person can do! If s/he "falls apart" during or after, I guess that's a crisis.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:02 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
It comes at a different time for different people and it's something like a period of feeling lost or that you have been missing something. Then you decide to do something about it--so what luvmyhoss said makes sense to me, a turning point.

Probably for me it was the time my cousin and I joined a women's group for menopausal women. Like menopause was supposed to be a big deal. Well, it was no big deal and no one was interested in talking about it but every woman was talking about wanting meaning out of life, not just a job, not just what they already had. My result was that I started tutoring ESL. I still do some volunteering in things that are meaningful to me. Trying to make a difference in the world, that sort of thing.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:36 PM

126 posts, read 161,790 times
My midlife crisis resolved to either chasing younger women or skydiving. My wife told me to jump out of airplanes, it would be much safer for me that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement