Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times

Advertisements

I saw the same look on 4 different guys face this morning, all walking their dogs, looking like they are bored out of their minds, but walk the dog, just to get out of the house. It's sad because I know quite a few fellows that were/are active and working into their 70's and 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
You'd think the retirement forum would be some place I would hang out. But, these depressing threads are all too common on this forum and are, well, too depressing!

If you need meds to get over your depression, get them. I used to need them, but ironically, I don't need them anymore since I retired. It was the opposite for me. I was miserable working. I love being retired.

Get a dog. They're the best thing in the world for depression. Take your dog to the dog park, and start talking to the other dog owners. You'll meet lots of nice people who are enjoying their dogs and each other.

It's fun to watch dogs play with each other, and to see your dog running around with a big smile and a tongue hanging out, and then run up to you with a huge big "thank you, I love you" look in their eyes. You will smile, you will laugh, you will meet interesting people, and you'll get exercise.

Start there.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Here's what my retirement looks like at the dog park:

We also go to the river, where she can dig for moles while I watch the geese and ducks and the boats going by, when we stop here and there on our walk.

I'd hate to hang out in a mall where I couldn't afford to buy anything lol!

Get a dog, get outside. It's fun! And cheap!

Old 06-14-2014, 12:16 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
You're tired and bored, looking <at> retired people sit at the shopping mall center area every day, and complaining about being tired and bored?
How's that working for ya?

I'm 31 months into retirement and haven't been bored for a nano-second. Haven't been to a shopping mall since ca 2011. Often been tired, usually after lifting weights followed by running 3-4 miles, followed by yoga.
No matter how hard I push myself, physically, there's always someone around who's older than me and doing more than me.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:21 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Some of those people sitting at the mall are probably doing so because it beats sitting in a chair at the home looking out the window at some dead flowers in the garden.
Me I keep busy going to garage and estate sales several days a week and enjoy finding useful things at bargain prices and bargains that I can use for trading for other things. It's an interesting and enjoyable hobby.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:57 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that being retired sucks. Thankfully, DH has a part time job at Home Depot, but my part time job was too annoying for me to hang in there.
There should be more transitional jobs for retired people who still have their marbles. I am bored to death.
Why on earth do you need a job to connect with your environment and other people? Not all of these things, but plenty, can be done by people of any age or physical ability. I'm always shocked when people say they are "bored to death." If that's the case, you can't be making much an an effort.

Take a class — it doesn't have to be something intellectual ... learn cooking, car repair, gardening, dancing, a sport. Join a club. Join a church. Do volunteer work related to a subject you care about. Get active in a political group or some other cause you care about. Do social things with a MeetUp group like going to movies, hiking, biking. Start going to a gym. Get a pet and interact with other pet owners. Learn about your ancestors and join a cultural group related to your ethnicity. If you were ever interested in any kind of art form ... painting, music, writing, pottery, carpentry, metalwork, sewing, crafts ... take some instructions then join a group of others who are interested in that. The public library is a good source of activities in many neighborhoods.
Find your people - Meetup

If you're shy, volunteer work is the best. Surely there's some subject you're interested in or some place you are comfortable where you can interact with people in safe way. If you are helping people, it doesn't matter if you have poor social skills, they will appreciate your time and generosity. Be a Big Sister/Brother. Tutor kids or people learning English as a second language. Work with veterans, the elderly, the sick, the homeless. Libraries, museums, galleries, public gardens, hospitals, even police forces all rely on volunteer labor. If you have a nice voice, read on the radio station for the blind. Be a volunteer usher at a theater or a concert hall to get free tickets. Give your time to animals by working at a shelter walking the animals, bathing them, etc.
VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins

My rule of thumb is to get out of the house a minimum of THREE TIMES A WEEK and do something productive that requires you to interact with other people. Jobs are not the only thing that provides that kind of stimulation. Be friendly, be a good listener, give away your time and talents within reason. You will learn, make friends, be more engaged, and you'll be a far healthier and more interesting person than if you isolate.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
When i retired i had all these visions of what i was going to do to keep myself occupied during retirement, problem was all those ideas only took up 10% of my time,so i tried getting a part time job but after submitting 60 applications to various places around town i got not a single call back.I got the message after a while that when you pass 60 no one wants you anymore.,
I tried getting back into motorcycling but driving down the same roads alone got kinda boring so i bought a sportscar, likewise after a few years it also became rather boring as just driving around alone just didnt do it so i lost interest,.
Now with developing mobility issues things like the occasional fishing,camping,bicycling, boating are no longer possible,in fact anything that involves more than 10 minutes of walking becomes very inconvenient.
Now in my late 60s with mounting health issues i seem to be losing interest in life itself, whatever fire of life burns in the belly has gone out in my case and i have no idea how to relight it..
IMO retirement sucks.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I think work sucks. I'm bored with it. I've been working since I was 16.
And I never went to the mall for anything, not even as a teenager.
If you can think, you shouldn't ever be bored.
I shouldn't whine- I'm on company time here.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i retired i had all these visions of what i was going to do to keep myself occupied during retirement, problem was all those ideas only took up 10% of my time,so i tried getting a part time job but after submitting 60 applications to various places around town i got not a single call back.I got the message after a while that when you pass 60 no one wants you anymore.,
I tried getting back into motorcycling but driving down the same roads alone got kinda boring so i bought a sportscar, likewise after a few years it also became rather boring as just driving around alone just didnt do it so i lost interest,.
Now with developing mobility issues things like the occasional fishing,camping,bicycling, boating are no longer possible,in fact anything that involves more than 10 minutes of walking becomes very inconvenient.
Now in my late 60s with mounting health issues i seem to be losing interest in life itself, whatever fire of life burns in the belly has gone out in my case and i have no idea how to relight it..
IMO retirement sucks.
It's a pretty safe bet to guess that it isn't retirement that sucks but it's your medical condition.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:32 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I do recall a thread with this same subject matter!
Me, too. By tired old man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement