Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
So, looters: Does this mean a gated community is better to deter looters OR do these gates not work during power outages so it doesn't matter?
Be very selective where you buy in Wilmington, Not just your community but near by ones. Year round neighbors with guns are the best deterrent. South Port would do you well, beach areas will have plans to keep
Out siders out . Knowing your neighbors will shoot to protect you and property is security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Be very selective where you buy in Wilmington, Not just your community but near by ones. Year round neighbors with guns are the best deterrent. South Port would do you well, beach areas will have plans to keep
Out siders out . Knowing your neighbors will shoot to protect you and property is security
Thanks bada bing Lots to think about and I may have to become a gun tottin mama. Makes me mad when people start grabbing things that don't belong to them, especially when owners are already going through so much. I may rethink Wilmington - had no idea they got hit so often. Southport is cute and growing so many more stores and such will be going in there.

Have a safe trip - are you texting & driving - just kidding - I know you are more responsible than that.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Absolutely. And I think after the embarassing (for them) debacle of Hurricane Irene, the media here in the tri-state was VERY aware of that when Sandy came on the scene.

Anybody remember the "Balloon Boy" hoax back in 2009? Boy did the media jump on that one and bring us with it -- at least until the kid made that "slip" while being interviewed live by Wolf Blitzer, LOL

Debacle? It was absolutely brutal. Roads gone. Some major roads closed in parts for six months. Downtowns under 15'+ of water destroying businesses. Debacle?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Hard winters? You betcha. But I will guarantee you they would laugh their a**** off at this comment: "[s]eriously, the hard winters are more difficult that a 'cane."
I took Ccgirl's comment to mean "hard winters here are more difficult than a 'cane here." Here meaning in her location. Which I completely agree with.

ETA: I was using "debacle of Hurricane Irene" in the sense that it was a debacle IN THE NY METRO AREA, because the local media (and CNN!) was spinning it up to be something along the lines of Daughter of Katrina.... more for viewership/ratings than anything else, I suspect.

Maybe everyone should insert a disclaimer into their posts in this thread, along the lines of: "The comments expressed in this post are limited only to the writer's experiences with and/or opinions about weather events in the specific location in which they live(d). It does not claim, refer to, imply or otherwise intend to describe the weather experiences or consequences in any other region."

(only slightly tongue-in-cheek there, LOL)

Last edited by Never2L8; 07-03-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Thanks bada bing Lots to think about and I may have to become a gun tottin mama. Makes me mad when people start grabbing things that don't belong to them, especially when owners are already going through so much. I may rethink Wilmington - had no idea they got hit so often. Southport is cute and growing so many more stores and such will be going in there.

Have a safe trip - are you texting & driving - just kidding - I know you are more responsible than that.
Nah wife was driving and I am about to . We might be investigating South Port as a year round NC home , The wife is loving the coast. We both are

Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We could sure use some of that water here in the west.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Nah wife was driving and I am about to . We might be investigating South Port as a year round NC home , The wife is loving the coast. We both are
Will you go to St James Plantation? Lots of people there from NJ (I believe you were from there).

Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
So, looters: Does this mean a gated community is better to deter looters OR do these gates not work during power outages so it doesn't matter?
Looting mostly happens to retail stores instead of personal homes. People get REALLY pissy if you are trying to break into their neighbors home. I think most neighborhoods are safer than the local Kroger if power goes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
ETA: I was using "debacle of Hurricane Irene" in the sense that it was a debacle IN THE NY METRO AREA, because the local media (and CNN!) was spinning it up to be something along the lines of Daughter of Katrina.... more for viewership/ratings than anything else, I suspect.

)
I don't mean to be ugly but this is just the kind of ignorance that makes people not evacuate. While Hurricane Irene was no big deal for you, it ended up causing over 15 billion in damages.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Well, people are quick to blame the weather forecasters and yes, dire forecasts are often overblown and the "event" turns out to be minimal, pissing off those who subconsciously wanted a really big show or who evacuated with a lot of agitation. But I for one would much rather have fair warning than not. Can you imagine what it was like before weather forecasters and especially today's technology, and you were out in the fields or in some concrete building etc and suddenly hit by a tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard, etc? If only the Donner Party had tuned in to their radio that morning.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, people are quick to blame the weather forecasters and yes, dire forecasts are often overblown and the "event" turns out to be minimal, pissing off those who subconsciously wanted a really big show or who evacuated with a lot of agitation. But I for one would much rather have fair warning than not. Can you imagine what it was like before weather forecasters and especially today's technology, and you were out in the fields or in some concrete building etc and suddenly hit by a tornado, hurricane, flood, blizzard, etc? If only the Donner Party had tuned in to their radio that morning.

You bring up a good point !

I recall farm life in MN. Many times they were warning of a severe blizzard hitting tomorrow and the day before was really nice. I often times thought............before there was TV/RADIO, how many people got fooled by that " lull before the storm"

The weather reminds me of human life.
Many times the day before a terminally ill person dies, they have one of their better days and thus the timing of their death takes their caregiver/family by surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement