Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:57 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Spot on! I've researched both states due to climate-related health issues and vetoed both due to the increased cost of my Blue Cross Medicare Plan F. It was double what I pay here in California! I was floored. I have enough medical issues that Plan F is the only prudent way for me to go as an Advantage plan would leave me with potentially large co-payments that could be budget-breakers.

There are other states where this is not the case . . . unfortunately, they don't meet my health-related weather requirements.

I don't think I've seen this discussed to any extent regarding considerations for retirement relocations - maybe I haven't been in the right place at the right time and I haven't researched threads. Just my observation.
Florida has 3 Medigap policy pricing zones (in least in terms of AARP UHC). The rates in south Florida are about 40% higher than those in north Florida (I'm in north Florida and I don't know where the dividing line between "south" and "north" is). The third and cheapest zone is a small area in the Panhandle - not a place most people would consider for retirement. In general - all insurance rates are (much) higher in south Florida than north Florida.

FWIW - my husband and I were paying a total of $376/month for our policies in 2015 (I have plan F and he has plan J - a discontinued plan very similar to plan F). I think that is pretty much an "average" cost nationwide. What was the quote you got - and what part of the state were you looking at? Like I said - it is hard to generalize about large states. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
If your wife has allergies, AZ isn't necessarily the best place. It does rain in AZ. When it doesn't it's dry and dusty. I struggled with my allergies in AZ and mistakenly thought they'd get a little better when I moved there from the north east. The truth is, your body isn't used to new allergens and it will react.
You can say that again about the dust - at least in Phoenix!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-phoenix-area/

We once visited the Phoenix area during "monsoon season" - and that was something to behold too. I think most areas tend to get their share of wild weather from time to time.

Here in north Florida - we still have trees/a lot of vegetation. Which means we have a pollen season. I don't have allergies - but people who do have them can suffer a fair amount in pollen season. For me - it's mostly a messy nuisance. I'm glad when it's over and can wash all the pollen away . Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,775,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Florida has 3 Medigap policy pricing zones (in least in terms of AARP UHC). The rates in south Florida are about 40% higher than those in north Florida (I'm in north Florida and I don't know where the dividing line between "south" and "north" is). The third and cheapest zone is a small area in the Panhandle - not a place most people would consider for retirement. In general - all insurance rates are (much) higher in south Florida than north Florida.

FWIW - my husband and I were paying a total of $376/month for our policies in 2015 (I have plan F and he has plan J - a discontinued plan very similar to plan F). I think that is pretty much an "average" cost nationwide. What was the quote you got - and what part of the state were you looking at? Like I said - it is hard to generalize about large states. Robyn
I was looking at the Boca Raton area - near family. Florida's BC Plan F is $299/month. Here in California I'm paying $166 for Plan F. I believe that if I were to change providers I'd have to go through underwriting which would, so I was told by a broker, lead to exclusions, given my pre-existing conditions. Interesting to know about the pricing zones. I didn't check out north Florida due to the family proximity situation.

Edited to add: I had to go back and look at my next invoice - I thought I was paying closer to $150/month. I've lost track since I pay quarterly. Just wanted to add that for "truth in reporting".

Last edited by movinon; 01-06-2016 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
...We still get winter here - it is 26°F right now - but they're relatively short, and if we have a snow or ice event the city comprehensively shuts down until the thaw, no more than a day or two later. The summers, at least this far north of the city itself (we live in northern Fulton County), are very pleasant - not at all like the summers of Florida.
??? The average daily high in Fulton County on August 1 is exactly the same as it is where I live - 89 degrees.

Almost all of the southeast is hot and humid in the summer. Although areas near the coast tend to be a touch cooler and breezier than inland areas. The only exception is areas that have a fair degree of altitude - like western North Carolina.

Quote:
We figured it was the perfect compromise between heat and cold, and accommodates the fact that neither of us are quite ready to retire (so the availability of work was also a factor).
No question that Atlanta does in general offer better job opportunities than many/perhaps most places in Florida. And perhaps the fact that you're still working (presumably in places with A/C) means you don't encounter the afternoon heat as often as someone who is outside playing tennis or golf or gardening. A place like Atlanta isn't on my list in terms of a get-away from the summer heat. Neither is Charleston or just about anywhere else in the southeast.

Overall - there aren't a whole lot of close to sea level places in the US or even Canada that are predictably and reliably comfortable in the middle of the summer. The Pacific Northwest is about the closest IMO (we've been to that part of the world numerous times in the summer). Even places at altitude in states like Colorado sometimes have heat waves - for which they're often unprepared (in terms of things like A/C).

In terms of places in the southeast that are cooler in the summer - most are smaller towns that get ridiculously crowded - like those in western North Carolina. I'd rather stay home and play my empty golf course in August than fight to get a tee time on an overcrowded course in those parts. Not to mention the necessity of having to make reservations at the most mediocre of restaurants weeks in advance. I always tell people that if they don't mind sweating a little - Florida golf is an exceptionally good value in the summer - especially in south Florida. And - if you can take the hair blower dry heat in Phoenix in the summer - it's a total bargain (we've had summer promo rates at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale that were as low as $100/night - and golf is ridiculously cheap too). Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 03:03 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,436 times
Florida or Arizona?

Both have their issues, but I guess no place is perfect. In the end, it probably depends on personal preference.

I'd rather be in AZ, any day of the week. Florida is nice in February, but I went one time in June and the heat and humidity were not to be believed. And don't forget the hurricane insurance problem and all the crime.

AZ? The weather is great most of the winter, and the summer heat isn't so bad, once you get used to it. In Phoenix, it;s a six hour drive to San Diego. If you want to ski, drive up to the Flagstaff area. Las Vegas is also a six hour drive, and if you want, there's also "Rocky Point" Mexico, within a reasonable distance. In other words, you're well located.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather. I was wondering about those who have done this and have chosen Florida or Arizona, or a state in their vicinity. My question is why did you pick that particular location? My wife has allergies, so because of the humid summers and the rain, Florida is out. So Arizona is probably in our future. Anyone else make a choice and Why?
Guess I didn't answer your original question. We moved to Miami in the early 70's to work and live. At some point - it became something very different than the Miami we moved to. So we decided to relocate. At the time - we had 4 elderly parents alive (2 in North Carolina and 2 in Broward County). So we felt constrained to stay somewhat near them to help them when they needed help. In addition - there's a lot we liked/like about Florida. Especially the tax situation. We also liked/like doing a fair amount outside (we used to play tennis and bike ride - now we play golf - etc.).

So we moved to Ponte Vedra Beach in 1995 - halfway between both sets of parents. As predicted - our parents have needed some help - and we have been in a position to help when needed. E.g. my late FIL spent the last 2 1/2 years of his life in a great SNF here. My father - now 97 - has lived in a good senior independent living place here since my mother died about 10 years ago. He is still pretty independent but does need FTF help with some things from time to time (I can manage finances from half-way around the world - not so when it comes to other things). Note that the excellent senior and health care facilities here were a surprise to us - and they have made what might have been difficult situations relatively easy times for us. Can't imagine what I might have gone through late last year if my father didn't live close to us and the Mayo Clinic late last year when he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The absence of hassles can be important in terms of a nice lifestyle.

On our part - well there are things we like about the area - and things we don't like. We love our house. We love the golf. We love our medical care. Shopping is very adequate (especially with all the on-line shopping available these days). The airport is close/convenient and has service to everywhere hubbing through a city like Atlanta. Traffic is ok. I wish the restaurants were better. And I really don't like what little we have in terms of winter in north Florida. I suppose the saving grace is what little winter we have is at the beginning of the year - when I usually have tons of paperwork to do.

I assume my father will predecease us (although I can't be sure - his family has a ton of longevity). Then we'd be free to go just about anywhere. And I've asked myself - where might we go? If we had $25 million and didn't care about taxes - I think I'd like Beverly Hills . But we don't have that much money. Overall - off the top of my head - I don't have a place in mind now where I'd rather live.

FWIW - I am not big into the idea of snow birding - having 2 places. One place is quite enough to take care of when you're 70ish. Assuming you're talking about houses and not condos (lived in condos in Miami for 20+ years and never care to live in another again). Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 03:29 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lots of retirees move when they retire, or at least spend a large chunk of the winter trying to find warmer weather. I was wondering about those who have done this and have chosen Florida or Arizona, or a state in their vicinity. My question is why did you pick that particular location? My wife has allergies, so because of the humid summers and the rain, Florida is out. So Arizona is probably in our future. Anyone else make a choice and Why?
You might want to try Fl in the summer for a month or two and see if it works out. I know some people with similar problems and they found that they were better in FL than up North on a year round basis.

Look up the weather stats for your location and the ones in FL you might consider. It is more humid in FL. FL is also a very big state with several climate zones.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Quote:
??? The average daily high in Fulton County on August 1 is exactly the same as it is where I live - 89 degrees.
Fulton County stretches over 70 miles from one end to the other; it is very long north-to-south and narrow east-to-west. Here in northern Fulton County we get wonderful breezes off the mountains all summer long.

The Comfort Index factors together heat and humidity. In Ponte Vedra Beach FL, it's 29 out of 100, where higher is more comfortable. In Alpharetta GA, one of the cities in northern Fulton County, the Comfort Index is 35 out of 100.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I dreaded our first summer here, fearing it would be like Orlando or Melbourne, with which we're quite familiar. And it simply wasn't like that, and from what our neighbors tell us, it isn't like that, here.

Quote:
And perhaps the fact that you're still working (presumably in places with A/C) means you don't encounter the afternoon heat as often as someone who is outside playing tennis or golf or gardening. A place like Atlanta isn't on my list in terms of a get-away from the summer heat.
I'm not a gardener or a tennis player, but did some hiking this past summer and it wasn't that bad. You really should come visit us during the summer... it's amazing.

Quote:
Overall - there aren't a whole lot of close to sea level places in the US or even Canada that are predictably and reliably comfortable in the middle of the summer.
There isn't any place east of the Mississippi that has perfect weather summer and winter. The point of considering climate when relocating for retirement, for many of us, is to balance the risk of slipping on ice (etc.) with the risk of heat stroke. I'm happy to say that northern Fulton County GA has a great balance.

Last edited by Yac; 01-27-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Florida or Arizona?

Both have their issues, but I guess no place is perfect. In the end, it probably depends on personal preference.

I'd rather be in AZ, any day of the week. Florida is nice in February, but I went one time in June and the heat and humidity were not to be believed. And don't forget the hurricane insurance problem and all the crime.

AZ? The weather is great most of the winter, and the summer heat isn't so bad, once you get used to it. In Phoenix, it;s a six hour drive to San Diego. If you want to ski, drive up to the Flagstaff area. Las Vegas is also a six hour drive, and if you want, there's also "Rocky Point" Mexico, within a reasonable distance. In other words, you're well located.
What part of Arizona are you talking about in terms of summer heat. Certainly not Phoenix. You get off the plane in Phoenix in August - it's like walking into a hair dryer set on high .

I try to be honest about things - and I wish other people would as well. There's a reason you can play the best golf courses in Phoenix in the afternoon in August for the price of your local muni .

Yes - we have windstorm insurance issues in Florida. They vary by location. From not so bad to bad to worse to terrible. It is honestly not a great state of affairs in many parts of the state. But it is manageable in parts. Still - you're not going to pay $600 for a good homeowners' policy on a reasonably priced house that includes windstorm coverage. You'll also need flood insurance in most parts of the state. But it is pretty cheap (and many people in many parts of the US need flood insurance but don't buy it because they put on blinders in terms of their need for it - wonder how many people in Missouri who were flooded recently have flood insurance?).

Also - there are parts of the country with bigger insurance issues. Like earthquake coverage in earthquake prone areas. Which basically most people can't afford/isn't available in the worst areas. FWIW - we have earthquake coverage on our homeowners' policy. Because we're in the fault zone of the great earthquake in Charleston (1886). The rider costs us about $30/year. We may be the only people with earthquake insurance in Florida - but what the heck ? Wonder how many people who live in the New Madrid seismic zone in the US buy earthquake insurance (where I'm sure it doesn't cost like what it costs in many parts of California)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

When it comes to "all the crime" - I suppose there are inner city areas in Florida that are like those in Chicago or New York or Los Angeles. But it's not accurate to paint all of Florida with that brush - much like it's not accurate to paint all of Illinois with the brush you'd apply to certain inner city neighborhoods in Chicago.

In terms of 6 hour drives to here or there - at age 70 or so - we're not fond of 6 hour drives to anywhere. For anything. It's best to have the things you really need/want most of the time close by. We'll probably fly the next time we go to Atlanta. Robyn

Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Fulton County stretches over 70 miles from one end to the other; it is very long north-to-south and narrow east-to-west. Here in northern Fulton County we get wonderful breezes off the mountains all summer long...
I'm not sure why you or others find it necessary to defend your imperfect climates. I certainly don't try to defend mine. I just take it for what it is. The most perfect climate I've encountered in the US is in Hawaii. But I wouldn't care to live there - for a variety of non-climate related reasons.

BTW - although metro Atlanta has some good things going for it IMO (although certainly not the summer weather) - the traffic there sucks major league big time. Like the traffic in Los Angeles and Miami and similar. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy visiting once in a while - but I plan my trips carefully in terms of where I'm staying and what I want to do.

Overall - this is all about assessing various areas in terms of what wants/needs/likes - in terms of what one can afford - and taking it from there. All but the very wealthiest people can't afford to have the best of everything even close to all the time. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement