Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:57 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times

Advertisements

Increasingly wrinkled skin on my arms. That is definite old geezer territory. Ironically and maddeningly, I remain baby faced. Until I started losing hair and going gray I was "a kid" (even past 40). I wish I could trade the wrinkles on my arms for ones on my face. Many men tend to have wrinkled faces in early middle age. But there is no way to avoid looking old with wrinkled arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:13 PM

679 posts, read 812,653 times
When I think of something from the 80's and its like it was yesterday. Then I remember it was 30 years ago...

Old 04-20-2016, 12:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh dear Lord, you're at it again? How IS the book coming along? Have we given you enough info for this chapter?

Come on people, there is no possible reason a 30-year-old cares about what makes us feel old or whether we would consider on-line dating (he was inspired by the ourtime commercial during the NBA playoff <rolls eyes>), etc. etc. etc. unless he's writing a book or working on a thesis or SOMETHING. All the posts are the same formula -- anecdotes about himself and his parents and grandparents, leading into the "topic to discuss" question. I really would hate to be your employer, paying you while you waste time on these ridiculous questions.
Actually, Millennials are absolutely freaking out about getting older, retirement prep, etc. Imagine starting out with a 5 or 6 figure student debt and there are only barrista jobs. Finally, approaching 30, you land a real career - but you are still renting, unmarried, etc, etc. I am now managing some teams of millennials in the work place and it has been an eye opener. Even as an Xer I feel lucky in comparison.

If I were a millennial I'd worry too.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Actually, Millennials are absolutely freaking out about getting older, retirement prep, etc. Imagine starting out with a 5 or 6 figure student debt and there are only barrista jobs. ....
You are way, way out of date. This is not 2009-2010. The vast majority of the millennials I know are doing well. True many still have some student debts but most are well on their way to having good careers. The 6 figure debts are being taken care of with incomes that are also moving towards 6 figures.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You are way, way out of date. This is not 2009-2010.
OK, that statement makes me feel old. 2009-2010 seems like just the other day to me. "Way, way out of date" means years that don't start with 2 in my world...

Old 04-20-2016, 02:52 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
You are way, way out of date. This is not 2009-2010. The vast majority of the millennials I know are doing well. True many still have some student debts but most are well on their way to having good careers. The 6 figure debts are being taken care of with incomes that are also moving towards 6 figures.
I'm doing fairly well and most of the people I know here are doing alright. Still, this is all a matter of perspective and where you've been in the past most likely.

I went to a state school that cost like $8,000 per year. It would be difficult to run up more $50,000 in debt period. I graduated from the business school, not poetry or women's studies. The people I tended to associate with were not generally the ones running up the big debt loads.

There was a guy at my prior employer who went to Purdue and must have had the full boutique experience as he was three years post-graduation and still had $100k in student loan debt, and believe me, he liked letting people know about it. Of course, he also had a 2015 Mustang GT, a motorcycle, and loads of other items. He didn't seem like a keep up with the Joneses type, but good God, does he love his toys. I've made some financial mistakes but nothing that comes close to this guy.

There are still a lot of young folks unable to get a start, or those who graduated several years back who have aged out of the new graduate pool, but don't have a lot of substantial experience and are being passed over for entry level work by new grads.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Oh, wait -- I just remembered: I haven't lost at Jeopardy for a long, long time. (Except when the occasional Final Jeopardy question references something in the past decade or so).

Old 04-20-2016, 03:21 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

There are still a lot of young folks unable to get a start, or those who graduated several years back who have aged out of the new graduate pool, but don't have a lot of substantial experience and are being passed over for entry level work by new grads.
Sadly, hardly any colleges/universities teach the students how to find jobs. Even now with rock bottom unemployment some recent grads are still left out and don't know how to find a job or start a career.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM

4,868 posts, read 2,676,734 times
Quote:
What makes you feel just plain OLD sometimes?
I'll be 68 this year, and have more old friends that have already died than are still alive. Now that'll make ya feel old.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:23 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Sadly, hardly any colleges/universities teach the students how to find jobs. Even now with rock bottom unemployment some recent grads are still left out and don't know how to find a job or start a career.
There isn't any rock bottom unemployment. The numbers are fake. Have you actually looked at the numbers and part time jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement