Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 06:45 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I was struggling a bit to put a 50 lb sack of dog food from my shopping cart to my car once. I can do it but a nice young strong guy saw me and asked if he could do it.
I live on a second story apartment and the parking lot is about 20 feet to the building door, then up a flight of steps and another 20 feet to my door. I get 40 packs of water at Costco and load them on my shoulders and carry them up the stairs, but I am a muscular young guy. I can't imagine an older person or woman getting stuff into my unit easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Seriously, are you compiling information for a book? I notice you come on here when you seem to run out of questions that have been answered. If this is your intention, I want a portion of the proceeds.
There was a thread about me that got legs a few months back. No book, just a bored office worker with little personal life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:00 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
Yet another - Disney is releasing remastered "Diamond Edition" Blu Ray movies of their "classics" and most of then were released when I was already an adult. Along those same lines, I was talking to one of my kids about favorite movies and told him I really didn't have one growing up because I only saw them once, maybe twice for a select few, as a kid. I saw Mary Poppins at the theater when I was 5 or 6 and loved it but didn't see it again until I was in my teens. This is a foreign concept to the more recent generations.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:15 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Yet another - Disney is releasing remastered "Diamond Edition" Blu Ray movies of their "classics" and most of then were released when I was already an adult. Along those same lines, I was talking to one of my kids about favorite movies and told him I really didn't have one growing up because I only saw them once, maybe twice for a select few, as a kid. I saw Mary Poppins at the theater when I was 5 or 6 and loved it but didn't see it again until I was in my teens. This is a foreign concept to the more recent generations.
Speaking of Classics ... all the good old punk, wave, post-punk, old school rap ... etc. That's now considered geezer music. Interestingly, people who weren't even born yet seem interested in it ... thanks to YouTube. Some of those old punks are truly old now. Debbie Harry is now 70.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 PM

696 posts, read 704,247 times
Debbie Harry is 70? I didn't feel old before, but I do now!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm doing fairly well and most of the people I know here are doing alright. Still, this is all a matter of perspective and where you've been in the past most likely.

I went to a state school that cost like $8,000 per year. It would be difficult to run up more $50,000 in debt period. I graduated from the business school, not poetry or women's studies. The people I tended to associate with were not generally the ones running up the big debt loads.

There was a guy at my prior employer who went to Purdue and must have had the full boutique experience as he was three years post-graduation and still had $100k in student loan debt, and believe me, he liked letting people know about it. Of course, he also had a 2015 Mustang GT, a motorcycle, and loads of other items. He didn't seem like a keep up with the Joneses type, but good God, does he love his toys. I've made some financial mistakes but nothing that comes close to this guy.

There are still a lot of young folks unable to get a start, or those who graduated several years back who have aged out of the new graduate pool, but don't have a lot of substantial experience and are being passed over for entry level work by new grads.

You must be a lot younger than the rest of us. I spent a lot less than $8000 for my bachelor's degree. And that's for all four years.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I'll be 68 this year, and have more old friends that have already died than are still alive. Now that'll make ya feel old.
I remember my father lamenting about how he had outlived all his friends. That is a sobering indicator.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:52 PM

483 posts, read 625,464 times
Losing eyesight is the only thing that makes me feel old at this point. I recently went into a auto parts store to get a oil filter. I forgot my damn reading glasses and couldn't read the fine print in the catalog. The line at the counter was long so I opted to go out to my car to retrieve my eyes. I'm still getting used to packing my reading glasses everywhere I go...ugh!

Old 04-20-2016, 09:06 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
Social media

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
What made me FIRST feel old is when I noticed when I was somewhere with my teenage daughters, men would glance at THEM, not me, and I thought WHEN DID THE BATON PASS TO THE NEXT GENERATION? It happens so imperceptibly. You feel the same on the inside and don't realize that you are becoming older and looking older.

And when my daughter was pregnant I went shopping and bought her some maternity clothes when she wasn't with me. When I checked out I explained to the clerk that they were for my daughter and she gave me a blank look and I realized she certainly wasn't thinking they were for ME. Back to feeling the same on the inside but not realizing you really don't look 30 or 40 anymore! I was thinking I might look like I was having a baby a little late in life. I wasn't thinking people would think I was past the age that I could possibly be pregnant. I have always looked young for my age and been mistaken for being younger than I am, so it's kind of a shock now when even with looking young for my age, I still don't look that young.

Last edited by luzianne; 04-20-2016 at 09:51 PM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Increasingly wrinkled skin on my arms. That is definite old geezer territory. Ironically and maddeningly, I remain baby faced. Until I started losing hair and going gray I was "a kid" (even past 40). I wish I could trade the wrinkles on my arms for ones on my face. Many men tend to have wrinkled faces in early middle age. But there is no way to avoid looking old with wrinkled arms.
I honor the gods of olay, and its amazing how well it works. It even really keeps it moist. I think I look younger than I did a few years ago. But what gets me are my hands. I may try it on them. There's also the nicks and scratches from my needlework, of course and kitten love marks. I switched a basic gentle shampoo and use henna on the hair and the henna makes my fine hair thicker than its ever been. Sort of works for neat little marks on the skin.

I found generally cutting out the oversaturated chemical stuff, except for the olay, and its makes me feel good. My husband was seven years younger, so there were occasional comments, and I wish I'd started using it way back then.

I do this not for anyone but me since it makes me feel good. You shouldn't do fixits for other people, but for *you*.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement