Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times

Advertisements

No, I'm neither insulted nor irritated. It is not a personal comment, it is part of their job.

If the grocery bagger asks if you need help taking your groceries out, simply smile and say No Thank you. End of.

[mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 10-31-2016 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When we shopped at Dierberg's in St. Louis we were always asked. Most of the time we two shopped together, and I always told them "I brought my help." By the way, Dierbergs is a great local chain. I still miss buying groceries there.

Here in the PNW, I shop at WINCO and Whole Foods. The latter is where I am asked if I need help. It isn't that so much that I find slightly annoying. Here is what that nice man says, "Miss, would you like help with your groceries?"

I hate being addressed as Miss. I am no Miss. I am, rather proudly, a Madam. But no one uses that term in a respectful way now. So, I suppose the nice man is reduced to using Miss to a 70 year old woman.

But, yes, they ask and I always decline. That time might come, but right now I'm still able bodied.
LOL. I remember when I was a child (yes, I can) and kids called everybody's mother "miss." No one was offended.
When the cashier (or anyone else) calls me "madam", I tell them, "You don't have to call me madam, I'm just one of the girls."

Old 10-31-2016, 06:25 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When we shopped at Dierberg's in St. Louis we were always asked. Most of the time we two shopped together, and I always told them "I brought my help." By the way, Dierbergs is a great local chain. I still miss buying groceries there.

Here in the PNW, I shop at WINCO and Whole Foods. The latter is where I am asked if I need help. It isn't that so much that I find slightly annoying. Here is what that nice man says, "Miss, would you like help with your groceries?"

I hate being addressed as Miss. I am no Miss. I am, rather proudly, a Madam. But no one uses that term in a respectful way now. So, I suppose the nice man is reduced to using Miss to a 70 year old woman.

But, yes, they ask and I always decline. That time might come, but right now I'm still able bodied.
Here in the south - we're not "Madams" - we're "Ma'ams" .

It's surprising how many people in this thread have mentioned Publix. And - as someone else pointed out - Publix has a strict no-tipping policy:

To the Bagger at Publix Who Made My Day | Huffington Post

Note that I also shop occasionally at Whole Foods and Fresh Market. And neither seems to have a specific policy about asking customers whether they'd like help taking their groceries to the car. Some employees offer to - some don't. Although I'm sure both would offer help if a customer asked.

Finally - another thing people have mentioned is that many people working in grocery stores these days are seniors. At least as old as many of us - and sometimes older (the oldest employee at my local Publix is 93 - although she's not a bagger - she demos products). So I don't think the issue has anything to do with age/perceived disabilities/similar. It's just a question of corporate policy. Robyn

Old 10-31-2016, 06:30 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
The baggers will automatically bring your groceries to your car at Strack and Van Til. I typically tell them ahead of time that I can do it myself; honestly because I don't want to tip them after spending a crap load of money on groceries! I'm not offended, it's a service they offer to everyone. More and more stores are doing it.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,333,776 times
I need the help because I'm wrangling kids, diaper bag, purse, etc. I'm grateful for it.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I am learning a lot by reading responses here. For one thing I would never tip for having help to carry groceries, either by staff or a helpful person in the parking lot. I am never offended by someone trying to be courteous either, but apparently many are. When someone holds a door open for you, do you think he/she is being snide or sarcastic? Or practicing one of the niceties of a kind hearted society. Giving someone the opportunity to do something nice for you allows them to feel good about doing it. Is that a problem? It never means, let me help because you are a physical wreck and I am clearly superior to you. You would not be shopping if you could not handle it by yourself. But every pleasant encounter in life is a win-win so why not just accept it.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:25 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
I'm fit and in my 30s, and frequently get asked if I need help when I have a large load of groceries. At least I think I look fit!

Old 10-31-2016, 07:31 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,956 times
For those shopping at Publix... it IS a policy to ask people if they want assistance. In fact, when my husband worked there part-time, he told me that the managers would actually have a talk with you if they saw you weren't helping people... so if they seem pushy, it's because they are being pushed.

Honestly though, I've never been insulted or anything that someone asks if I need help and I'm only 37.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Every time I have ever gone to a major supermarket where there was a bagger, he or she has asked if we needed help out, even if only one bag. We're in the low 60s now but this has gone on for 25 years at least, it's just policy at many stores. We have never accepted the offer, and I can't imagine that we ever will.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:25 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,668 times
I've been asked many times and never took offense. I think that is just being a bit overly sensitive. Also, I've heard baggers ask others that are younger. I think it is just a courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement