Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Ain't it the truth. We have the magic "moringa" growing here on our grounds. Tried it once and it is so disgusting. Dragon-fruit is another miracle fruit that tastes like a rotten kiwi.

They come n go.

All those healthy kale-related foods are also potentially problematic for kidney stones, so what's a gal to do?
I eat lots of dragon fruit. First time I saw this fruit, it was in Harrods UK, 1989, it was selling for £32 a pound. Ever since I get them cheap at the farmers market and I think of all the money I save or make by eating this fruit. It’s weird psychology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 02:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Oh, I'm sure...but it'll soon be eclipsed by some fruit or root found in the Amazon...so don't get too attached.

Is that the Jeff Bezos Amazon? I guess I need to see what's in the Whole Foods produce section these days.

They often have good little yellow altufo mangoes when nobody else has them. Hopefully, that becomes a miracle food.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Not everyone. I don't hate it, in fact I like it and, since it actually has little taste at all, I add it to other dishes to make them even healthier without really changing the flavor. I add it shredded fine to coleslaw (sort of redundant, but adds color and antioxidants), soups, casseroles, salads, etc. I also just steam it, and saute it, sometimes with mushrooms and garlic or other add-ins, instead of spinach. The taste is much milder than broccoli or brussel sprouts, which I also like, but understand some people hate brussel sprouts due to bitterness.

I made broccoli rabe (aka rapini) over the weekend. Now THAT is a bitter vegetable. I steamed it, then quick sautéed it with olive oil and fresh garlic. Since I like brussels sprouts I enjoyed it.

My doctor keeps trying to get me on statins and I continue to refuse. He loves to push meds even though my cholesterol is not that high at all.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I made broccoli rabe (aka rapini) over the weekend. Now THAT is a bitter vegetable. I steamed it, then quick sautéed it with olive oil and fresh garlic. Since I like brussels sprouts I enjoyed it.

My doctor keeps trying to get me on statins and I continue to refuse. He loves to push meds even though my cholesterol is not that high at all.
It’s not the bitterness. I love rapini and Brussels sprouts. Kale is more dry.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:00 AM

115 posts, read 174,647 times
amlodipine for hypertension

Old 11-20-2019, 01:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

I have had the very same experience. It seems doctors do not want to believe us when we tell them something. I tried I do not know how many statins to make a doctor happy but each one gave a side effect that was not good. So he relented and said do not take any of them.

OK, so I change doctors after a few years. She wants me to try this new and improved statin. I tell her I've tried many of them with no good result. But I tried this new one. Within the first week of taking it, I could not stay awake to save my soul.

At 77, I know sooner or later I'll take my last breath. I can deal with it. What is wrong with these doctors who seem to want to insist they know what is best for us.

I'm probably a bit grumpy. Need to stop listening to the hearings.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
Everyone hates it, that is why everyone that eats it gives you a recipe that calls for smothering it in tons of olive oil and salt until all the kale taste is gone. One guy said he loves kale, gave me his favorite kale soup recipe that includes sausages and bacon, that was pretty good, didn't taste the kale at all!

As far a meds go, I took my 85 year old father to a new family doctor, the nurse nearly fell over in her chair when he told her he takes no meds. They fixed that quickly though, he did leave with a bagful of medicine, my dad put it a drawer and never took a single pill. He doesn't think the docs know enough to full around with your blood chemistry without screwing something else up, he said his body is all "settled" and shouldn't be disrupted. lol
So this guy is eating the "healthy" kale, full of antioxidants, while simultaneously raising his cholesterol by 20 points with the bacon and sausage.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:38 PM

I used to love the potato kale sausage soup from Olive Garden, but we have not been eating there for years, at least 10 years.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:51 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I have some absolute agony days due to spinal surgery, 7 foot surgeries, after a career as a professional dancer. Thank heavens for narcotics.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:30 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you are retired or fast approaching that point in life, it would not be unusual at all that you may be on some medications to help you along for one or more health conditions. What medications are you on that you consider to be life-saving that you will probably be on for the foreseeable future?
All of the meds I'm on now, and probably in the future.

I have blood pressure, heart monitoring meds, psychiatric meds, statins,, narcotic pain meds ( and the shape my spine is in, and even with second spinal fusion coming up, for the foreseeable future I will be relying on them), and others that keep me functional.

So I've been on meds for at least 30+ years, and even though I quit some along the way, I end up right back on them.

I have 18 scripts currently.

And healthy eating and diet has allowed me to lose 90# in the last 2 years since turning diabetic ( yet another med), but a lot of the actual nutrition has been bred out if the food we eat anyway in order to get a "more perfect looking" one.
And we have drastically cut down our red meat, my OH s favorite, in favor of chicken, which my OH actually hates.

More or less than those will be my bane for the rest of my life.

Thanks for asking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement