Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:35 AM

83 posts, read 67,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I hate kale, I don’t believe it’s that healthy honestly.
Everyone hates it, that is why everyone that eats it gives you a recipe that calls for smothering it in tons of olive oil and salt until all the kale taste is gone. One guy said he loves kale, gave me his favorite kale soup recipe that includes sausages and bacon, that was pretty good, didn't taste the kale at all!

As far a meds go, I took my 85 year old father to a new family doctor, the nurse nearly fell over in her chair when he told her he takes no meds. They fixed that quickly though, he did leave with a bagful of medicine, my dad put it a drawer and never took a single pill. He doesn't think the docs know enough to full around with your blood chemistry without screwing something else up, he said his body is all "settled" and shouldn't be disrupted. lol

Last edited by joepierson; 11-19-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 09:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Actually cabbage and kale are both VERY healthy. Kale beats out cabbage mainly in the anti-inflammatory department where it really shines. But kale is such a great vegetable. I suggest reading the attached link from healthline. It's probably one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-kale#section6
Anti-inflammatory. How about eat some raw turmeric for a change. I grow lots of them in my garden. No kale though. I eat kale, but I don’t think they are healthier than cabbage, broccoli, etc.. if you have thyroid or low thyroid problem. It’s best to stay away from kale.
Just eat lots of different vegetables. Vary them too. I buy kale when it’s on sale.but I prefer to eat collard greens.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:29 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Anti-inflammatory. How about eat some raw turmeric for a change. I grow lots of them in my garden. No kale though. I eat kale, but I don’t think they are healthier than cabbage, broccoli, etc.. if you have thyroid or low thyroid problem. It’s best to stay away from kale.
Just eat lots of different vegetables. Vary them too. I buy kale when it’s on sale.but I prefer to eat collard greens.
From the Mayo Clinic, regarding eating kale, and other cruciferous vegetables, if you are hypothyroid and on T4 and/or T3 meds: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...nach-and-kale/

It’s true that eating a lot of these vegetables could limit your thyroid’s uptake of iodine. The amount you would need to eat to have that effect, however, is very large — much larger than most people would ever normally eat and certainly far more than would be included in a daily smoothie.

In addition, the effect of these vegetables is on the thyroid gland itself. That means for someone like you whose thyroid gland isn’t working properly, and who is taking thyroid hormone replacement medication, even if you ate these vegetables in large amounts, there wouldn’t be any impact on the amount of thyroid hormone in your body.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
One and I can phase it out in a couple of years. Generally I don't share health issues except in rare occasions and in generalities, such as YAY cancerversary and cancer free WOOP!

Old 11-19-2019, 09:56 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
As a retired person, the one thing I avoid talking about is health issues. No one wants hear a bunch of complaints. The complaints only seem to make the complainer feel worse. Nothing is accomplished in the process.

Millions of retirement-aged people are on statins, antihypertensives and insulin. I cannot imagine why anyone would want a list of forum members on those and additional meds.
the only argument I have against this is that when people share on forums sometimes the information can provide some snippets of info that might be useful to others, may comfort others in that their reactions to meds is normal etc. However in daily life with family, friends, acquaintances and strangers it's not a subject I talk about unless specifically asked and it's relevant.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepierson View Post
Everyone hates it, that is why everyone that eats it gives you a recipe that calls for smothering it in tons of olive oil and salt until all the kale taste is gone. One guy said he loves kale, gave me his favorite kale soup recipe that includes sausages and bacon, that was pretty good, didn't taste the kale at all!

As far a meds go, I took my 85 year old father to a new family doctor, the nurse nearly fell over in her chair when he told her he takes no meds. They fixed that quickly though, he did leave with a bagful of medicine, my dad put it a drawer and never took a single pill. He doesn't think the docs know enough to full around with your blood chemistry without screwing something else up, he said his body is all "settled" and shouldn't be disrupted. lol
Not everyone. I don't hate it, in fact I like it and, since it actually has little taste at all, I add it to other dishes to make them even healthier without really changing the flavor. I add it shredded fine to coleslaw (sort of redundant, but adds color and antioxidants), soups, casseroles, salads, etc. I also just steam it, and saute it, sometimes with mushrooms and garlic or other add-ins, instead of spinach. The taste is much milder than broccoli or brussel sprouts, which I also like, but understand some people hate brussel sprouts due to bitterness.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Actually cabbage and kale are both VERY healthy. Kale beats out cabbage mainly in the anti-inflammatory department where it really shines. But kale is such a great vegetable. I suggest reading the attached link from healthline. It's probably one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-kale#section6
Oh, I'm sure...but it'll soon be eclipsed by some fruit or root found in the Amazon...so don't get too attached.

Last edited by reneeh63; 11-19-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 11:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Bourbon and a good cigar.
Bourbon without the cigar.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:07 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Oh, I'm sure...but it'll soon be eclipsed by some fruit found i the Amazon...so don't get too attached.
LOL. Ain't it the truth. We have the magic "moringa" growing here on our grounds. Tried it once and it is so disgusting. Dragon-fruit is another miracle fruit that tastes like a rotten kiwi.

They come n go.

All those healthy kale-related foods are also potentially problematic for kidney stones, so what's a gal to do?

Old 11-19-2019, 02:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
From the Mayo Clinic, regarding eating kale, and other cruciferous vegetables, if you are hypothyroid and on T4 and/or T3 meds: https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...nach-and-kale/

It’s true that eating a lot of these vegetables could limit your thyroid’s uptake of iodine. The amount you would need to eat to have that effect, however, is very large — much larger than most people would ever normally eat and certainly far more than would be included in a daily smoothie.

In addition, the effect of these vegetables is on the thyroid gland itself. That means for someone like you whose thyroid gland isn’t working properly, and who is taking thyroid hormone replacement medication, even if you ate these vegetables in large amounts, there wouldn’t be any impact on the amount of thyroid hormone in your body.
There’s borderline case, not bad enough to take thyroid medicine. My kid used to eat a lot of kale salads until I told her not to. She now eats turmeric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement