Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:28 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

I expect to be on some sleeping medication because I've needed one for twenty years. If the doctors or I could figure out what's wrong, I'd rather be on nothing.

We are 72 and 76 and we both take zinc. It cured my husband's restless leg syndrome. Husband was low in D3 even though he's outside in the sun a lot so he takes D3. I guess maybe some people just don't even absorb D3 from sunlight as they age. He also takes vitamin B12 due to a deficiency. I take calcium and fish oil. The fish oil really helps with inflammation.

That's it because if we can help it, we will not take prescription drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 05:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Those of us who live cleanly and have no history of obesity, smoking, or excessive alcohol or drug abuse, don't usually need any/many meds.
Sorry, but that's complete nonsense.

While it may make you feel good to believe that lifestyle determines all, each person is an individual. I have iron deficiency anemia; my father had it as well. A close friend of ours has familial hypercholesterolemia, which is a genetic defect that causes high total cholesterol and high LDLs. It has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. He is on statins.

Last edited by fluffythewondercat; 11-25-2016 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 05:39 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
My 91 year old aunt says the only medicine she needs is vodka!
That + good sex makes a happy life.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:57 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I expect to be on some sleeping medication because I've needed one for twenty years. If the doctors or I could figure out what's wrong, I'd rather be on nothing.

We are 72 and 76 and we both take zinc. It cured my husband's restless leg syndrome. Husband was low in D3 even though he's outside in the sun a lot so he takes D3. I guess maybe some people just don't even absorb D3 from sunlight as they age. He also takes vitamin B12 due to a deficiency. I take calcium and fish oil. The fish oil really helps with inflammation.

That's it because if we can help it, we will not take prescription drugs.
I have heard about some people not being able to absorb D3 even when they are exposed to daily sunlight. Here's an interesting article on that..

9 things that can undermine your vitamin D level

9 things that can undermine your vitamin D level - Harvard Health

Old 11-25-2016, 06:04 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sorry, but that's complete nonsense.

While it may make you feel good to believe that lifestyle determines all, each person is an individual. I have iron deficiency anemia; my father had it as well. A close friend of ours has familial hypercholesterolemia, which is a genetic defect that causes high total cholesterol and high LDLs. It has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. He is on statins.
Yeah, genetics has that funny efect on people, doesn't it? I know that's true in my family.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes...by that I mean that people who are healthy tend to not have a lot of sympathy toward the unhealthy so if you have health issues don't pick a healthy person to share with!

It's not quite like that. If someone with a lot of health issues were to try and discuss them with me, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about. I could discuss all kinds of military stuff with someone, but if they had never served, they probably wouldn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. It's not about sympathy or empathy, it's being clueless about what's being said.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:32 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
My 91 year old aunt says the only medicine she needs is vodka!
I need to meet your aunt!

Old 11-25-2016, 08:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's not quite like that. If someone with a lot of health issues were to try and discuss them with me, I wouldn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about. I could discuss all kinds of military stuff with someone, but if they had never served, they probably wouldn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. It's not about sympathy or empathy, it's being clueless about what's being said.
Interesting....I'm fairly healthy but had the usual biology classes in high school and A & P, and patho in college...I read a lot about health topics and of course I have family and friends with various health issues...and I want to know about possible health risks I could face. So you don't have to be unhealthy to be knowledgeable or to care.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I have heard about some people not being able to absorb D3 even when they are exposed to daily sunlight. Here's an interesting article on that..

9 things that can undermine your vitamin D level

9 things that can undermine your vitamin D level - Harvard Health
Thank you. I read it and can't see where hubby fits in. He's a scrawny little thing, will NOT wear sun screen, has light skin, lives 2 minutes from the ocean so lots of sunlight in summer and zero air pollution, etc.--nothing fits except the age factor. So he will just have to supplement with D3.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:39 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
I don't take any prescriptions but I take Ibuprofen a few times a week. I go out and have fun (surfing mostly) like I am still 20 years old and pay for it with lots of aches and pains the next day. And then I do it again the next day. And the next... Slow learner I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement