Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:52 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,671,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Yup...new director...bye bye. Been there done that with 2 non profits i am very passionate about. Sad to say...I am DONE with volunteering...frankly I don't need the drama, politics and bs. I don't miss it either!
Sadly I may have to agree with this. If I want to relive all those issues I'll go back to work and get paid.

There is one more possibility I may try although I just don't want to be tied down to any schedule. I did plenty of volunteering through the years and have a full life now - don't miss it at all, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This is so thoughtful - something many don't think about but foster care kids move around so often and to just put everything they have in trash bags must be terribly depressing especially given all the other circumstances around moving. To use trash bags, as if they and their belongings count for nothing....so glad to hear of giving them a nicer alternative.
There are some stories about this that is truly heartbreaking. One little boy showed up at a new foster home with mismatched clothing, wrong sizes, boy and girl clothes, shoes that didn't fit and it was all in a plastic garbage bag. That inspired her to start a campaign for the suitcases. I wish more clubs and individuals would do this.

Some clubs and organizations tried painting them to brighten them up but I thought that wasn't a good idea as it just marked them as foster kids.

There have been some efforts to help out kids that have aged out of the foster care system. Such as help with living arrangements, items to furnish a living space, etc. The kids are kicked out at 18 and they are their own.

Thank you to the people that assist those who haven't learned to read. One of my grandsons was the recipient of such help and he has thrived since then. He will always need help with many things but, he is so proud of his reading ability. He does have to take meds to be able to concentrate and he does so willing. My dear, dear grandson.

So many needs, so few hands that can help with those needs. But, God bless you all in your chosen areas that you volunteer. It is all very worthy and necessary.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
^^^^^^^^ Helping these kids...... is that through the Salvation Army??

Old 12-18-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
From what I have seen and participated in, it is through local clubs and individuals.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My experience was through local clubs or individuals starting a collection drive and giving them to the Dept of Children Svcs, etc. By the way, I am going to check with my local SA and see if they do anything like this. They are also a good resource, too.

I had you a lot of links (Google) and for some reason, deleted all of them. Too tired, right now, to find them and repost.

We had one man here locally who knew a young lady who had aged out of foster care and he took it upon himself to look into this and hold fund raisers, solicit help with housing, furnishings for a living space, jobs, education. I am not sure what has happened in recent years with this issue. I know here in Florida, a lot of things go through The Baptist Childrens Home.

It is all most worthy and heartfelt causes. These children go through so much in their young lives, if they even make it that far.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
^^^^^^^ Thank you. Yes, it's the kids who seem to suffer the most. I don't have a lot of money but I do have time. Hopefully, Salvation Army can connect me with a way to help or direct me towards a group who can use me.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I just want to hang out with my dogs and SO, living a quiet, boring, semi-reclusive lifestyle.
Read enough here to ''run for the hills''! LOL

Old 12-19-2016, 12:50 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I myself am trying to find the right fit with volunteering my service time.
Like anything else it can be hit or miss, depending upon the group of people you volunteer with and the type of work.
Its like any other experiences in your life------past jobs, friends, organizations you belonged to ect......if, after awhile, things do not fit well, be flexible and try elsewhere
I need to keep trying because I want to give back-----yet I try to find situations that I can fit into without drama, stress, and other noise factors-----not always an easy task, but whoever said life is always easy??

Old 12-19-2016, 02:14 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
From reading this thread it seems to me people might be better off volunteering in situations where your boss won't be a volunteer. That way you avoid the drama of a hierarchy of volunteers. For example an elementary school has volunteer teacher's assistants, who work for teachers. The teacher appreciates their work, because her own work is paid, and she sees them as donating their time, not as low level workers in a hierarchy.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
From reading this thread it seems to me people might be better off volunteering in situations where your boss won't be a volunteer. That way you avoid the drama of a hierarchy of volunteers. For example an elementary school has volunteer teacher's assistants, who work for teachers. The teacher appreciates their work, because her own work is paid, and she sees them as donating their time, not as low level workers in a hierarchy.
Maybe, but not always. In my situation with the theater, the new paid director and his cronies treated the incumbent volunteers like garbage. The volunteer heads of the different committees who were there before the new regime took over were great people who always showed appreciation to those who worked under them.

Paid or not, it all depends upon who's in charge. I don't think there's one hard and fast rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement