Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 06:08 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
When exactly have you lived in Northern California? For someone who has lived in the Bay Area for a long time, certain costs may not be as high. It is very much dependent upon the person and their particular costs and situation. When I moved to Nashville four and a half years ago I had to pay 30% more in rent in Nashville than I did in San Francisco. Some things were cheaper and other things were more expensive. If I made that say move today I would be paying 50% more in rent in Tennessee than I was paying in San Francisco. The whole conversation is moot if we're talking about somebody moving there now but we aren't.
If you were in some rent controlled situation, which I assume you were, you were, by definition, paying an artificially low price.

Yes, if a government policy keeps part of a particular person's living costs down, it ought to be included, but for that vast majority of Americans, they don't have the government capping an expense like this and are paying the market rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Because of circumstances, I knew that I wasn't going to be working again. Medically, I was not doing well. And then was diagnosed as bipolar2, which was mostly how I saw the world, made me more aware of how I didn't deal well with things which didn't turn out. And I was a drugged up zombie with too much meds none of which worked. I chose to take myself off of it and felt human again. I believe we all have the power to deal with the world as we see it if we can accept that we are different. My self made 'treatment' is being able to control my own circumstances. I am very aware of changes in perception and deal with it. And I am once more myself, and able to deal with the potholes in life, including the economic part. Part of that was keeping the cost of living low, and being aware of when I need a time out. And its worked. But I've had to accept that my income isn't going to be high, and while living in a 'cheap' area makes a lot possible, its also a limitation. I moved knowing that it was meant as the last one.

There are times I'd love to just pack up and go somewhere, and enjoy myself, but it takes a lot of planning. And money... And I worry if I'm not here someone will break in. I've also thought about a roommate, maybe who drives, since I have an unused bedroom. But the good stuff about things is I don't have to please anyone here.

I think that people just assume that those in the current 'lower socio economic group' were people who never went to college, never had a professional job, just 'settled' for survival level work and didn't try to do better. Yes, some is, but when the dice gets thrown, your skill and education can become meaningless if you have a cronic illness, or you lose the job when there aren't options left. Or illness becomes a factor. Nobody knows what lays ahead. We shouldn't 'judge' based on the idea that anyone can turn things around if you really want to. If you find yourself there, you have to find a way to deal with it. And you may have to let go of assumptions. But real survivors can claim the name because they do learn to be flexable with everything, and take a joy from it too.

If I have enough to have my own space, sufficent needs met like food and a little more flexability in getting around, I'll be fine with life even maintained at the current economic level. You can be just as miserable with more if "stuff" is what you see but not which makes comfort and happiness.

What scares me is those who want to rip it all up, and change the basis of it, and if those who depend on it aren't helped by some kind of tax credit too bad. Or becoming invisible, especially as some already consider us that way.

But I do for myself what I must and give myself the power to decide how I deal with it. Nobody knows what comes next. But having less means you have to be strong and realistic.
A thousand rep points. I couldn't have written this any better. Thank you. The media and the mainstream culture are very unaware of the many living in the shadows. Once in a while there is a weak voice, but then that disappears.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If you were in some rent controlled situation, which I assume you were, you were, by definition, paying an artificially low price.

Yes, if a government policy keeps part of a particular person's living costs down, it ought to be included, but for that vast majority of Americans, they don't have the government capping an expense like this and are paying the market rate.
We were talking about SF and that is what you will find with most long-term people there (again, what we were talking about). No one ever said it was true for anywhere else or new renters. I'm guessing you'd find a lot of the same in NYC.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It must be rent controlled?
Yes. Common in SF.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:02 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
what crisis ?

most people find a way to make whatever they have work . they may not be thrilled with the lifestyle but they always seem to find a way .

folks would be better off worrying about their own retirements than poking their nose in to others .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-17-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 12:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Yes. Common in SF.
I'm surprised that you gave up on that cheap rent. There must be a reason.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 01-17-2017 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't think it's so generational. I'm a middle boomer, and my parents were working-class broke and died broke, lived on Soc. Security in a very small trailer. Their generational status had nothing to do with how they ended up. I was doing better than they were the day I left home.
But compared to most Boomers you are atypical and your parents who I presume were either early Silents or GIs were also atypical. The typical GI did not retire poor. The typical Boomer had an outcome that was on par with GIs and not as good as Silents.

These are not feelings ... these are facts. There are all kinds of stats on this. No one should be unaware of them.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:19 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what crisis ?

most people find a way to make whatever they have work . they may not be thrilled with the lifestyle but they always seem to find a way .

folks would be better off worrying about their own retirements than poking their nose in to others .
Most people associate with those who live in somewhat similar circumstances. Just because you have no experience with those who have not found a way, does not mean that they don't exist or used to exist.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I'm surprised that you gave up on that cheap rent. There must be a reason.
Moved over 2,000 miles away and my cost of living went up so I couldn't pay rent in two cities. Wish I could have.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:59 PM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
But compared to most Boomers you are atypical and your parents who I presume were either early Silents or GIs were also atypical. The typical GI did not retire poor. The typical Boomer had an outcome that was on par with GIs and not as good as Silents.

These are not feelings ... these are facts. There are all kinds of stats on this. No one should be unaware of them.
It sure wasn't most of the silent and gi I knew. I can't think of anyone growing up ( except school teachers) who had a pension and pretty much everyone I knew retired poor. Dermographics makes a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement