Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

I see a new streaming service advertised on TV called Sling TV https://www.sling.com/takebacktv?cvo...EP2016_DTCRO30 which has 30 major channels for $20 per month, and 40+ channels for $25 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 04:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Binge watching is not for me. We do one or maybe two episodes. Then reading or other activities. Bed if after 10:00. Just very pleased that there is interesting stuff on TV these days. Love Netflix and other streaming sites. Gads, I sound like my parents....

But it's OK. Time to pop in my earbuds and listen to stuff on Pandora.
I love binge watching. I discovered it about 2 years ago. I live in a harsh winter climate and am a basic homebody during winter so it is my entertainment.
I have Netflix and Amazon and also watch YouTube. I rarely turn on my TV at all.

I do more outside during spring and summer. But during the long winters streaming has been a wonderful thing.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:57 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
I have to confess I stayed up last night till 2:30 am watching all 6 first season episodes of Happy Valley (Netflix), highly recommended. I hadn't planned on doing that. The Brits really know how to produce interesting shows with complex characters & use actors that look like human beings.

Youtube is a diamond in the rough, tons of interesting things on there for all interests.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Retrieving on/off alot is a indication that you Internet Does not have enough speed to deliver the content in the quality its being send. NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon all "watch" the speed that you can receive and upgrade/downgrade the picture quality to match your internet speed.

Hulu offers for ~8$ more a month a Ad Free stream.

Some Cable(Internet providers) compaines have been know to throttle/restrict bandwidth to streamer, but the FCC has fined them in the past for doing it.
Hulu streams alright except for when it's loading the next commercials. Interesting that you say they downgrade the picture quality because it certainly looks good on my HD tv. The NewsOn channel sometimes blurs while streaming but it clears up within a second or two. My internet is already an expensive bill so I won't be upgrading it to a higher server. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Hulu streams alright except for when it's loading the next commercials. Interesting that you say they downgrade the picture quality because it certainly looks good on my HD tv. The NewsOn channel sometimes blurs while streaming but it clears up within a second or two. My internet is already an expensive bill so I won't be upgrading it to a higher server. Thanks for your thoughts.
Bandwidth works on both ends. If the ones send you the video don't have a big enough "Pipe" to the internet, that could cause buffering issues on your end. Your TV wants more "data" signal then the provider can push out.

Many of the "Big" video providers are skipping the internet and making direct High Speed Fiber Optics connections from their Data Centers to Your Internet Providers DataCenter/HeadEnd. So when you Steam a Movie from HULU/NetFlix/Amazon it does not go to thru the internet. It goes from your "Box" to the Router at you Internet provider, they re-direct that traffic to the Direct Link they have to that video provider, and not the internet.

Smaller Video Providers send it thru the internet and may experience additional latency.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:41 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,344 times
I cancelled network tv/cable over 10 yrs ago and was thrilled when netflicks became available at such a low cost. It has all of the types of shows I love: brit period dramas, crime shows, NF originals that are hilarious (Lillyhammer) and others, some great docs, and fascinating series such as 'Highway thru Hell' and 'Ice Pilots'. My tastes are all over the place and netflicks provides a never-ending selection.

I binge watch - being retired and all. It is a luxury to be able to stay in my pjs all day, cuddled up with my Doberman on the sofa. Life is grande !

Old 01-26-2017, 01:16 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I love streaming and binge watching. I also liked the Man in the High Castle. Now I am watching Newsroom, Homeland Security, and the Blacklist. I actually enjoy TV more now than I did when I was younger.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Thank God for Netflix! I'm still undecided about how many of their original shows I like, as a Boomer. I do miss their TV series reruns that aren't on streaming. I am so glad they are available out of the U.S. The Spanish subtitles are very helpful to learning Spanish, too.

We get content not available in U.S. I told my sisters to watch Michael Moore's "Where to Invade Next" and they could not get it on Netflix.

I, too, am pleased the content is not all geared toward the coveted 18-34 demographic. I binge-watched "Downton Abbey" while husband was asleep and I had insomnia. Hated it when "House" was finally over.

The best part----NO commercials! Boy does that spoil 'ya!
I love the backlog at Netflix. I love documentaries and remember some from years ago I found there. They were on dvd, but that was because they were older. I also love that with a button on the remote I can switch from cable to amazon and others, since if its got a whole new mix. Currently watching Man in the High Castle, but find I can't do more than two at the most in a sitting, but only because its so dark and intense and I don't want to miss any of that. I'll probably rewatch Vikings as well, since when it was on 'cable broadcast' it was rather chopped up and I decided to wait for the dvd or streaming.

But I have Dish and enjoy it since I need my news fix (not mired in Oklahomaesk tones) and record the local news so I can skip sports and other boring things. You do need to follow the weather if you live here. I also like that the dish knows what you recorded and haven't erased so if you forgot you saw some odd show on History it tells you you have a copy.

What is wonderful about the many options now is shows which no broadcast network would ok, for subject or cost, will find a home somewhere that things for a more select audience can watch. Lately, I find less and less on broadcast tv which I don't mind missing or just plain avoid.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
I'm not thrilled with the commercials on Hulu and find most of what they have on want elsewhere, minus commercials. I like to watch the dark and intense stuff in a quiet, half lit room with no distractions and who's got the best soup breaks the spell.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I see a new streaming service advertised on TV called Sling TV https://www.sling.com/takebacktv?cvo...EP2016_DTCRO30 which has 30 major channels for $20 per month, and 40+ channels for $25 per month.
We had the Sling Orange package for a while last year specifically for ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3 during basketball season.

Never an issue with the service, received a free Roku stick with a three-month commitment and no issues when I cancelled .... just cancelled it and moved on. Will probably use it again at some point.

Also use Hulu Plus and Netflix now, again with no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement