Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times

Advertisements

The cell phone is darn handy for emergency communication, such as if my vehicle lets me down, and I need to call AAA for a jump start or tow.

I've had my current cell phone number since September 8, 2016, for my first smartphone, and the person who was previously assigned that number gave it out to everyone she knew, and didn't update them with her new number after giving up that number.

At least most of the people she associates with are nice and polite, when I get calls intended for her.

Very glad I now have an app that will keep the phone from ringing unless the call is from someone in my contacts list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:51 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
I'm shortly 54, and I'm old fashioned.

If I want to Talk to someone, I want to talk to them, not text, not email, not carrier pigeon!

But I have returned to work in earnest, and I am the oldest one there.

My 30 yr old manager wants a TEXT if there's an issue.
But GUESS what he does? CALLS me on the phone!
I could have done that!

I am learning to text more though.

Sad people want to send a lol or emoji instead of oral communication.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
To keep in touch with my friends, who are all older, some never plugged into computers and some unplugged, we chat on phone but not for hours. A couple friends and I email mostly...but do talk on phone. nothing like the human voice/connection.

I never went on FB, tweets or the like and not missing a thing.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:56 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I hate chatting on the phone. But some things involving lots of variables need to be hashed out in length/detail. I would say only like 10% of my phone interactions need that..

Texting is great for quick/concise communication that is not up-to-the-minute urgent.

Email is great for presenting larger amounts of information someone (or a group) will need to refer back to.

Time and place for everything...
This. Exactly.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Once in a while I will call my mom (88) because she doesn't do texts and has email issues, but other than that my phone is rarely used for actual talking. I much prefer texts and/or email, it's a lot more concise and brief. Talking is more for face-to-face contact.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

It couldn't possibly be that they can't hear very well on a phone...
There is that - texts are better for communicating in a noisy environment, or to send and receive "on the sly" as you text your buddy during a boring long meeting.

I don't get this "I am a senior so I don't text" - OK, fine, you are not going to send childish messages loaded with emojis - but texting can get through during times of high demand when a voice connection won't be available. Texting is better for simple declarative messages - "I am going to be 30 minutes late" - and the recipient does not have to have the phone in hand to get the message. It's a useful skill, and not hard to learn.

Now, a regular voice conversation is better if you just want to catch up socially, or if you need to discuss something.

I have a Consumer Cellular plan for 3 phones (Me, my Sis, my wife) with unlimited voice and text, and enough data that I can use Waze as much as I want. About $100/month.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
There is that - texts are better for communicating in a noisy environment, or to send and receive "on the sly" as you text your buddy during a boring long meeting.

I don't get this "I am a senior so I don't text" - OK, fine, you are not going to send childish messages loaded with emojis - but texting can get through during times of high demand when a voice connection won't be available. Texting is better for simple declarative messages - "I am going to be 30 minutes late" - and the recipient does not have to have the phone in hand to get the message. It's a useful skill, and not hard to learn.

Now, a regular voice conversation is better if you just want to catch up socially, or if you need to discuss something.

I have a Consumer Cellular plan for 3 phones (Me, my Sis, my wife) with unlimited voice and text, and enough data that I can use Waze as much as I want. About $100/month.

Your post is full of common sense, as I have come to expect from you. About a year or two ago, I finally "learned" how to text. I had erroneously assumed it would be something hard and complicated, but I was astounded when I taught myself just by following the prompts given by my phone. It is truly very, very easy to do - there is almost no learning curve at all associated with it. The problem with some of us older people resides mostly in our attitudes - we think we won't be able to do something, so we don't try and don't ask (out of embarrassment) and the negative expectation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In case there is someone reading this who doesn't yet text (unlikely, I know, as I may have been the last person in the United States over the age of eight who learned how), take it from me: If I can teach myself how to text, anybody can learn it.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
I understand and Texting has it's purposes, however, at this time I personally am not in need, since my lifestyle doesn't demand it. I am never in need to say "In a meeting, be there soon", or something. I keep my cell in my purse for emergencies and don't have a Data Plan, just using WiFi at home. ( You WHAT??).. Lol.

I am always using my iPad at home though, but have a desktop Mac, too. My contacts and I will send emails, photos and will spontaneously communicate back and forth, sharing info, making jokes, talking about some show, etc. That's fine for me.

If you think I'm wacky, a friend from out-of-state bought an iPhone since someone there talked her into it recently. She is older and had never gotten into technology, so I was surprised, but I encouraged her to be able to send email, etc. Initially, she sounded enthused, but she has no WiFi at home, using a little public WiFi. I mentioned she could get some instruction at the Apple Store, but she never got into it...doesn't understand, is confusing, too much trouble and gave up. She now says she "doesn't care"...just uses for calls and camera (which she could have had with a lesser phone). I tried to tell her how simple it could be to send mail - and had sent her one a while ago. If I were there, I would help her. She doesn't want to bother. (Looks like the person talking her into it didn't help or maybe feels she just isn't getting it).

So glad I learned Mac computer usage when I did, but was in the 1990's (having been set back, since the field I had been in had not yet been using computers). Since I took that on though, there was no turning back, teaching myself a lot. (As I type this, I am actually speedily typing, using both index fingers and my left thumb on the iPad, which I had adapted to doing, since posting so often here, but type normally on the computer keypad).

I realize this is a bit off the subject, but motivated by the mention of texting and not trying something.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Just checked my July cellphone usage and it shows 84 minutes talk time.
I can live with that.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:13 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, that's exactly what it is.

It couldn't possibly be that they can't hear very well on a phone...
They can hear very well on the phone.... and if they couldn't..then that would be fine...I could just e-mail..BUT I'm referring to those that can hear perfectly fine but just don't want to actually hear someone's voice to communicate.Text is the lazy way to communicate..in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement