Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I heard on CNBC this morning that Equifax won't (or can't) even tell an individual if their data has been compromised. The absolute gall of these outfits. Jerking folks around over cooked-up FICO Scores....and then losing contain over 143 million pieces sensitive data.

They should shut all 3 of these quacky bureaus down, if that's the best they can do.
Agree, and do away with credit score thing. This whole thing g has been a farce and a charade, if Equifax can't get its act together than I don't any comapny really can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
I never signed up with Equifax, I did get my scores and reports from Experian and Transunion, but never did for Equifax as they did not allow me see my free report online. Instead they wanted me to call and order ,you report, which will be sent to my address. I did not go through as I was moving and did not want it could ing to any address.

Am I safe or not?

Guess not, for the three credit bureaus have all our info anyways.

Last edited by Nema98; 09-09-2017 at 12:05 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 11:34 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james67 View Post
i haven't read all the details but if there is class action lawsuit against equifax on behalf of a significant number of 143 million, does equifax even have the assets to award damages.

Reminds me of another consumer class action lawsuit in which i was awarded 19 cents if i put in a claim.
Lol...

Last edited by In2itive_1; 09-08-2017 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Problem posting Smilies...

Old 09-09-2017, 02:15 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,831 times
I went on the site and it said I was one of the people impacted.....*sigh* Earlier the hospital accounts were hacked and I was notified my medical information was stolen, then my bank erroneously sent out statements to the wrong people and I was notified someone else got my information. I'm sick of it! I had trouble sleeping last night worrying about every cent I've worked so hard to save being stolen.....not sure if I should sign up for the monitoring thru that sight as I already have 2 other companies monitoring things from the other breaches.....

Old 09-09-2017, 06:30 AM

64 posts, read 62,426 times
Equifax says I may have been affected.
The first thing I did was put a Security Freeze on my credit report with all three credit reporting bureau's.
A Security Freeze may or may not be free, depending on the state you live in, it is free in N.J.
The Trans Union site has a list of all states and if any charges will apply.

https://www.transunion.com/credit-fr...-credit-freeze

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp

I then added a Fraud Alert to my credit report with Equifax who will notify both Trans Union and Experian and they will in turn add the alert to your credit report with them.
The fraud alert lasts 90 days but can be renewed as often as needed.

https://www.alerts.equifax.com/AutoF...fraudAlert.jsp

I then contacted my bank (online) to see if there is anything I should do as far as protecting my accounts and credit card, still waiting to hear back from them.

I will be signing up for the free one year credit monitoring service offered by Equifax on 9/13.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Haha, my bank wanted me to do all my banking online...I said, 'Sorry...I don't trust the internet with all that information'...they said, 'Oh we're completely safe.'
I said...Well, I'm not!...6 months later they got hacked into nationally.
PS I don't bank there anymore and my mortgage is paid off with them. Whew!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 AM

171 posts, read 94,554 times
This is what should have been done IMO initially when the breach was discovered. The credit reporting companies, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, should of put a Credit Freeze on all affected, yeah that means 143 million people. Then it would be up to the individual affected to unfreeze when applying for a loan, credit card etc. with strict verifiable documentation that this person is who he really is. Once this is done, then they can have the freeze remain at their choosing.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times
This debacle finally got me to put credit freezes on our credit files at the 3 reporting companies. In NJ, placing a freeze is free, but you have to pay $5 to lift it, temporarily or permanently. I'll pay the 5 bucks x 2; it's worth it. This is utterly ridiculous. And infuriating, since I didn't get told if I was affected or not when I went to Equifax's "special" website, and their executives claim they didn't sell their stock on insider information. Yeah, right!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-data-breach

Their Chief Financial Officer and President of US Information Solutions didn't know about the hack when they sold their stock? Anyone who believes that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Equifax also claims the agreement not to file a class action suit doesn't count in this case. Yeah, right again. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...breach-website

Old 09-09-2017, 08:59 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
And I've seen this on the equifax credit monitoring enrollment page.....

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

I'm so upset. I honestly don't know what to do.
What will you do?

-- I've thought about getting life Lock for years, but then that's yet ANOTHER company that has my info, ANOTHER data base I'm in.

-- I have always had a monthly monitoring service through my bank. It's monthly UNLESS there's a change. Then I get a, "we've noticed a change on your credit report. Call if you want more info."

-- I had STOPPED using my debit card because I think the credit cards are safer....but this is more an ID theft issue than any normal debit/credit card use issue.

So:

-- Equifax's FREE monitoring for a year?
-- FREEZE credit reports?
(I never really wanted to do that because I've read here on CD about difficulty getting them UNfrozen. People mostly losing or forgetting the code they need. But hey that CAN happen.)
-- the "more moderate" step of posting a fraud alert to your file? (so it's not frozen but any activity must be verified?)

-- are you going to pay for a 'third party' Life-Lock TYPE of monitoring service?

-- are you just going to get your free credit -- AND THEN pay for additional ones, for say, a year...and then if nothing has happened....think you're likely safe from THIS incident?

-- IF so how often are you planning to PAY FOR those additional reports.

Finally this happened, May-July, right? And another post said hackers act quickly. Is that the same for credit info thieves? It's now early Sept....CAN we assume IF we've gotten clean reports SINCE the hack that we're "likely safe?" (My bank monitoring service hasn't seen any changes.)

Old 09-09-2017, 09:04 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
It's time for real punishment for the hackers without law enforcement being limited by global borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement