Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM

38 posts, read 157,016 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both 59 and looking into 55+ communities. We are interested in Solivita in Poinciana and Lakes of Mount Dora. Does anyone know anything about these 2 communities. Thanks for any help you can give us. Penelope55
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile I'll be watching....

to see what you find.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Penelope,
I DM'd you with info.

frank D.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:45 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
Of course, in fairness to the world of retirement communities, you can find the same rules in all-age subdivisions. Believe me, I've gone around with some of them also. The bottom line is: look before you leap.

The people in my current subdivision here in CO had two start-up meetings last fall and decided to can the whole idea of a homeowners association because they don't want anyone telling them what to do. I feel that most of the worst transgressions in subs can be dealt with through city ordinances, i.e., abandoned vehicles on the street, disturbing the peace, and dogs running loose and barking. So far, we have a very peaceful little neighborhood. If the "neighbors from heck" ever move in next to me, well then, I know how to pack, and I'll be long gone. Moving anywhere is a gamble, but you can always move on and try something new. It keeps life interesting.
Home owner associations are a pain when you move in and the community is new. They are a blessing when you want to many years later and the community still has appeal. Especially in this market. Neighborhood curb side appeal is priceless when you sell.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
If the "neighbors from heck" ever move in next to me, well then, I know how to pack, and I'll be long gone. Moving anywhere is a gamble, but you can always move on and try something new. It keeps life interesting.
I used to feel that way when I was younger. Moving becomes more and more difficult as you age. By the time you are ready for a retirement community, most people will not want to move again. IMO, of course.

ps. I'm a big fan of 55+ communities. I still own my house in a "regular" community in Virginia, and regularly travel between the two homes because I have family there. I love my Virginia neighborhood, but my 55+ community is an oasis. It's really nice to live with other seniors and to have all these facilities right here.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:16 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I am not old enough to move into a 55+ community yet, but the more I look at them the more interested I am. Plus I have older relatives who live at Sun City West, have for several years, and they absolutely love it. They have "desert landscape" for their "lawn" - so no mowing/lawn care to worry about. That was important to them because they travel for long periods at a time and don't have to worry about having someone take care of their lawn while they're gone. From what I have seen the houses are 55+ communities are very reasonable. Wish I could buy now with plan to move later but as I said, I'm not old enough yet...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM

You might want to recheck that.
Most 55+ communities allow up to 30% of owners to be under 55...as young as 19 in fact.
My wife and I were younger then 50 when we bought a few years ago...we were not even asked......(maybe we just look much older...?? ).

With home prices plummeting and mortgage rates low, if you are close and you know what you want, it may be worth considering.

Frank D.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 PM

425 posts, read 1,104,750 times
Default love our community

we are 49 and 57 and bought our place in a beautiful community in North Port, Florida called La Casa
it is resident owned ,and you own the land underneath your place. it is a clean well kept park,, with alot of things to do close to shopping and about 25 min to the beach, we did extensive research and found this to be the best place for us we bought a year ago and are loving it, the monthly fee is 105.00 a month because we own a share of the park and with a mortgage still on our place up here in Connecticut it sure helps I will be going down in september for a week, and december for 2 weeks,DH is going down in April for a week, so we use it quite a bit, I am soooooo tired of this snow and cold, I want warm and sunny

Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 PM

86 posts, read 222,004 times
Hey Frank. How are you holding up with the Buffalo weather. I haven't posted in awhile. But, if you recall I am also in Buffalo. We just returned back from 2 weeks in Winterhaven, FL. I can't believe how fast it went by. The weather was so nice I didn't want to come home. I always look for your posts because my wife and I had a plan to do what you are doing even before we saw your posts. The only difference is that I have another 10-13 years before I can go down permanently.(only 39 now and want the kids to grow up first)My plan is to still work full time in my 50s, but to do something helping folks and doing it in shorts and flip flops instead of in winter clothing. Got to keep the dream alive. Just don't know if I can wait all that time. Anyway, I actually stayed at a 55+ community while down this past month and extremely enjoyed the area and the people. I guess I like being around older folks. But, I found it to be very friendly.

Later, Tony

Old 03-06-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1 View Post
Hey Frank. How are you holding up with the Buffalo weather. I haven't posted in awhile. But, if you recall I am also in Buffalo. We just returned back from 2 weeks in Winterhaven, FL. I can't believe how fast it went by. The weather was so nice I didn't want to come home. I always look for your posts because my wife and I had a plan to do what you are doing even before we saw your posts. The only difference is that I have another 10-13 years before I can go down permanently.(only 39 now and want the kids to grow up first)My plan is to still work full time in my 50s, but to do something helping folks and doing it in shorts and flip flops instead of in winter clothing. Got to keep the dream alive. Just don't know if I can wait all that time. Anyway, I actually stayed at a 55+ community while down this past month and extremely enjoyed the area and the people. I guess I like being around older folks. But, I found it to be very friendly.

Later, Tony
Tony,
Sorry to take so long to respond.......crazy week at the firehouse....ice water rescue training, (still have 12+ inches of ice out there...), tons of EMT teaching, etc.

This winter has been brutal up here.....can wait to be back down at the Florida home soon. Time does fly...we bought 2.5 years ago, and we plan on living down there for good in about that same time....can't wait, think about it every hour of the day. We are still so glad we did what we did.

I love our 55+ community. Funny thing is, I feel old up here freezing, but down there we are the "Young folks".

Keep in touch and feel free to DM......we are only 30 miles away, and I have siblings living in Buffalo and a son in Hamburg.

Well, back to Modding....see ya!
Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement