Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times

Advertisements

Speaking from experience.
Incompetence. Incomplete initial diagnosis. Nurses working multiple shifts at different hospitals with four hours sleep. Sepsis. Failure to recognize hemorrhaging. Lack of attention. Systematic bumbling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 10:18 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
1. lack of privacy

2. ward mates who get late night visitors, or people who come early in the evening, & stay really late, because they came a long way. Well leave earlier! cos at 10pm, I want to go to sleep. They ignore nurse requests to be quiet etc.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 AM

519 posts, read 582,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yesbut, if you had the plague, wouldn't a hospital be nice?
As I said, best laid plans... or if you prefer: God laughs, while man makes plans...

Old 10-14-2017, 11:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I enjoyed my hospital stays; I felt so pampered. All that attention, LOL! I was comfortable all the time. Yes, being bothered all night long for BP, etc. is unpleasant, but they have to do that. I thought everyone was very nice. Loved the morphine---that was the best part. Only 2 complaints:

Sending an out-of-network doctor to check on me daily. Specifically requested NO out-of-network service, for obvious reasons. Still battling that year and a half later.

They confiscated the bottle of Captain Morgan a friend brought me!!!!!

Old 10-14-2017, 11:07 AM

439 posts, read 345,682 times
That your rights are taken away and you are tied down if attempted to leave.

It's basically jail except your not only locked in but tormented.

Much of what they do puts you at further risk when if nothing had been done at all, it would've been better.

With that, they also save people. Care and love on people. So it can go both ways!!

Old 10-14-2017, 12:14 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

How about you? What do you hate about being in (admitted) the hospital?

The waiting, followed by the BILL!

I have never spent the night at a hospital. I have been admitted a few times for injuries but I went home the same day.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Dealing with contact lenses.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:01 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I just spent 36 hours in the hospital. Atrial-fibrillation and with pneumonia in the left lung. A new wrinkle to add to premature ventricular complexes or contractions.
Now a-fib won't kill me, but it could cause a clot to lead to a stroke, and the pneumonia was a total surprise to us all, staff and me and my OH and a close friend who accompanied my OH to the ER.

I think the worst thing is trying to sleep in a hospital. They gave me a sedative to put me to sleep. I slept for all of one hour before some....ahem....nurses aid came in at 12 midnight to take bp with a malfunctioning automatic bp machine, then in my lucid state tried taking my watch off!!! I said "' what the (heck) you doing? '". She said she needed my watch off to take bp. I said "'(horsepuckies), they had been taking it all day with the watch ON my wrist'".
Than at 3:50 ( by the clock on the wall and my still on watch), the vampire came in,
then at 5 am they came in to take yet another EKG.

At 6:30 They took me down for Echo cardiogram.

So my "sedative/ sedated sleep" was severely disrupted.

Many think the food sucks, but I find the food quite palatable.

It's sleeping when ill and (usually exhausted), I miss when in the hospital.

How about you? What do you hate about being in (admitted) the hospital?

There is a laundry list of things I hate about being in the hosoital, fortunately, I don't land there very often.

The beds are not comfortable, IMO.
They don't let you sleep at night, between the interruptions for vital signs, medication, blood draws and so on; also the noise from the cleaning staff and other staff on duty there.
The food is lousy.
It's terribly boring.
I feel like a caged animal.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:14 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
The germs. The few times I have had to have a hospital stay, a couple of days later my souvenir UTI appears.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:20 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I've been in a hospital just twice. Once to have my appendix removed and that really didn't count. I was operated on at 10am and out by 2pm the next afternoon.

The second time I was in ICU for a week following my aneurysm.

Both times I felt sort of comforted to be in a hospital with people around me. I've lived by myself for decades and it's sure is a different feeling when you don't have to worry about taking care of yourself when you're sick. The nurses and doctors were pretty decent. They took the time to stop by and kept me in the loop about what was going to happen and when. And they really did go out of their way a couple times to make sure I was OK. When I first came in with a headache, I asked for something to read and one of them hunted down an aviation magazine for me. That was exactly the type of thing I'd read even with a pounding headache.

After the aneurysm, I did get sort of bored, although I wouldn't have been if I'd had a computer of some sort. I didn't get much sleep at night but I was able to nap all day, so it evened out. We had a menu of foods we could choose from for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and it wasn't too bad.

After the aneurysm, I had to go in for angiograms and they were as accommodating as they could be, especially since I lived a hour away by ferry and had no one to drive me or pick me up afterwards.

The only thing I didn't like was being hooked up to all the machines because every time I tried to turn over in bed, I had to disentangle myself if I didn't want to strangle. That and the mask over my face the first night and the godawful IV in my hand were the worst things.

On the other hand, I bet the nurses were delighted when I left.

I got out of bed so often they put the sides up and set the alarm. I rang the bell for my nurse to help the other patient in the room because he kept calling for help (and my nurse wasn't his nurse). I tried to move my bed so I could see the TV better, unplugged it, and set off an alarm that had everyone in at a run. The nurses and I would throw things into the bins they have set up and miss, and afterward I'd get out of bed and pick everything up to tidy up the room. To be honest, I enjoyed my hospital stay and I would have stayed longer if I hadn't been so bored. I was supposed to be moved down to the general ward for another week's stay, but I got permission to go home instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement