Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
T-Mobile has a 55+ plan that gives you TWO lines with unlimited data, texts, and calls for $60. Only one of the users has to be 55 or over to qualify. I don't even think about data use anymore. And their service works seamlessly overseas for unlimited data and texts. You just arrive in most countries and are greeted with a message saying that all data and texts are free. While you're abroad, though, calls are $0.20/minute, in contrast to back in the USA, where they're free. I never call, though, when I'm traveling. Just text and use data.
Interesting....... by the birthdays, I could qualify.

The things that would stop me from going for that would be that thing about Internet Addiction, turning into a zombie, and a fear about losing the two lines I already have.

Now, is that an "older" thing? An older thing in that not that I am frustrated but that I am so set in my ways, in my beliefs, that I wouldn't go for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 04:33 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Define Frustrated, please.
frus·trat·ed
ˈfrəˌstrādəd/
adjective
adjective: frustrated
feeling or expressing distress and annoyance, especially because of inability to change or achieve something.
"young people get frustrated with the system"

• (of a person) unable to follow or be successful in a particular career.
    "a frustrated actor"

• prevented from progressing, succeeding, or being fulfilled.
    "our parents may want us to fulfill their own frustrated dreams"

Old 12-20-2017, 08:47 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
T-Mobile has a 55+ plan that gives you TWO lines with unlimited data, texts, and calls for $60. Only one of the users has to be 55 or over to qualify. I don't even think about data use anymore. And their service works seamlessly overseas for unlimited data and texts. You just arrive in most countries and are greeted with a message saying that all data and texts are free. While you're abroad, though, calls are $0.20/minute, in contrast to back in the USA, where they're free. I never call, though, when I'm traveling. Just text and use data.
We just signed up for T-Mobile 55+ a few months ago. Best thing since sliced pizza!

Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
I'm a retired software engineer, and I feel I should know a thing or two about how software is supposed to work. But I left the industry in the mid 2000s, and times have changed since the days of rigorous testing before programs (I guess they call 'em "apps" now) leave development and enter the field.

But these days I can hardly seem to get from Point A to Point B without some sort of software glitch, necessitating a call to the Help Desk.

How's technology working for YOU lately, now that (if) you're retired?
I am ready to burn it in a fire. Why can't I transfer my photos off my phone? I am not stupid.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Am I frustrated with today's technology? Absolutely not. I just love flush toilets.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:57 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,305,161 times
The thing about answering the Android is swiping one way to answer or another way to reject, etc. I've already accidentally hung up on a caller by "swiping" the wrong way while picking up the phone.

Plus, if you have a message session open, you get a different dialog. Now instead of swiping you press Answer or Dismiss, and if you press too long, (like we determined my wife was doing,) you get a new dialog with button selections to send back messages, etc.

All we wanna do is answer a frickin' telephone call. Life was easier with a flip-phone, (but Nooooo - we had to get a SMART phone. Who feels like a dummy now!)

Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I almost never have no service/data with AT&T and when I do nobody else does, either. My partner has Verizon and in my experience I am more likely to have service than her.
I've had the opposite experience. I had a lot of trouble getting reception with AT&T, whether at home or while traveling. My wife had the same issues. And this was with a number of different phones over the years. Once Verizon came to our area and we switched over, no more problems. I switched over first and my wife was frustrated that I always had reception and she didn't, so she too switched over to Verizon when her AT&T contract ended.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:10 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
Well, we're back with our new computer again. The tech guy said they installed the anti-virus program, after trying 4 days with problems. Ok. So we use it a couple hours, and a few minutes the next day and guess what, the anti-V uninstalled itself. Called the tech place and oh, they apologized, but what could they do, wanted us to take it all apart once again and bring it in. When I complained they gave us the remote people's phone number.

4 times we had to call them and they installed the program again and again... Finally the 4th time seems to be the ticket - so far. Crossing my fingers. Lost several hours to this nonsense this morning.

A big part of the problem is I'm busier than most people I know. If I need to get something done, I need to sit down and do it. There's not much time for trouble shooting and the long process of learning. I know at some time soon DH will come and say "send this off to so-and-so" and I haven't yet figured out how to do it.

After the holiday is over, it's on to tax season. After that's over I may have a little time to learn some of this.

Tonight, though, I'm a bit pleased. Looked at something on Google Maps, the street view, and it works so seamlessly with this W10. I was just limping around with the xp. Amazing.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I am ready to burn it in a fire. Why can't I transfer my photos off my phone? I am not stupid.
Since my phone does not do what everyone says it will (Connect to the computer and it shows up like another disk drive - No, it does not.) I use one of these. The toughest part is tracking down where the files are on the phone.

I insert a usb drive into it, then plug the small connector into the phone and it shows up as a USB drive in the listing. I copy the files I want to the USB, tell the phone to unmount it, then plug the USB into my computer, and copy files to it. Works like a champ. It's traveled to Europe and back and on many vacations here for the past three years and worked flawlessly. I also lets me transfer files from my SD card that is in the camera to the phone and vise versa. Works with our tablets as well.

The reason I like this one is that it takes a USB drive. A lot of them don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Adapte.../dp/B00CJIFJM0

Old 12-21-2017, 06:49 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
I'm frustrated with the fact I cannot find a printer that can last more than a year before it completely stops working, or has wired connections. I absolutely hate how just about everything is wireless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement